By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your top five boss battles in gaming, one per franchise

Boss battles are a thing I kind of wish would go away from many genres. I really don't like them most of time.

Around the Network

Honestly, it would require an elephants memory to remember them all and then rank them properly.

So, i will just mention the last one i really enjoyed, wich was the mouth of mordremoth in Guild wars 2 heart of thorns.

pokoko said:
Boss battles are a thing I kind of wish would go away from many genres. I really don't like them most of time.

I can't express properly how much this comment upsets me. Boss fights are the climaxes of games. Without them games are monotone and boring. If any devs are reading, never do that. Boss fights rock!

In no particular order:

Diggernaut - Metroid Samus Returns
Marx Soul - Kirby Super Star Ultra
Jubileus - Bayonetta
Yaldabaoth - Xenoblade
Master Fortress - Smash Wii U

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Nem said:

Honestly, it would require an elephants memory to remember them all and then rank them properly.

So, i will just mention the last one i really enjoyed, wich was the mouth of mordremoth in Guild wars 2 heart of thorns.

pokoko said:

I can't express properly how much this comment upsets me. Boss fights are the climaxes of games. Without them games are monotone and boring. If any devs are reading, never do that. Boss fights rock!

Boss fights are like annoying cutscenes you can't skip and have to watch over and over. There are some exceptions, like SotC, yet most of the time they are just there to interrupt the fun and take away your freedom to play how you want. The thing I can't stand the most is boss fights with stages, start from beginning after failing at the last stage. In rpgs I usually become so overpowered first, they're meaningless anyway.

I have much better memories of the worst boss fights. Uncharted 2 end boss, Beyond good and evil end boss, Skyward sword thing in the pit/quarry you have to fight 3 times, Dark souls Capra demon, Botw Thunderblight Ganon, Windwaker boss with the hands, Ratchet and Clank remake end boss, Gears of war RAAM, Bioschock infinity final boss etc. Boss fights usually ruin my intention to replay games. I would more often if you could skip them on a second playthrough. Instead -> trade in, so if any devs are reading.....

SvennoJ said:
Nem said:

Boss fights are like annoying cutscenes you can't skip and have to watch over and over. There are some exceptions, like SotC, yet most of the time they are just there to interrupt the fun and take away your freedom to play how you want. The thing I can't stand the most is boss fights with stages, start from beginning after failing at the last stage. In rpgs I usually become so overpowered first, they're meaningless anyway.

I have much better memories of the worst boss fights. Uncharted 2 end boss, Beyond good and evil end boss, Skyward sword thing in the pit/quarry you have to fight 3 times, Dark souls Capra demon, Botw Thunderblight Ganon, Windwaker boss with the hands, Ratchet and Clank remake end boss, Gears of war RAAM, Bioschock infinity final boss etc. Boss fights usually ruin my intention to replay games. I would more often if you could skip them on a second playthrough. Instead -> trade in, so if any devs are reading.....

They are nothing like cut-scenes. What are you on about? They are portion of the game when the story or level comes to a climax and mixes up things for you. Where you have to discover a pattern or weak spot or dodge powerful attacks. It makes you think and strategise. It's great.

Would you rather some more of the same enemies just pop up again with bigger life bars or something? Ain't that super lazy and boring?

Now, of course, bad games are bad games. If a game makes a bad boss fight its probably a bad game to begin with. I don't think it's the boss fight that will make it so. I don't agree with many of those examples btw. I didn't play any of those except Uncharted 2, and i thought the final boss was good.

For example TLOU had no final boss when the boss was right there. Clearly a rushed and incomplete game that left me unsatisfied. If you aren't willing to change things, your game becomes predictable,boring and unsatisfying. You don't get that sense of accomplishment you'd usually get. I still remember going: What? That was it? It's over? Completely unsatisfied. I felt robbed.

Around the Network

First is a toss-up between Nishikiyama from Yakuza 1 and Majima from Yakuza 4. The atmosphere, the music, the emotion... perfection in storytelling.

2. Mr. X/Shiva (Streets of Rage 2)
3. Rokkaku (Jet Set Radio Future)

Last edited by RJTM1991 - on 16 December 2023

1. Claus (Mother 3)
2. Ganon (Twilight Princess)
3. Zanza (Xenoblade Chronicles)
4. Providence (Bravely Second)
5. Red (Pokemon Gold)

I fought lots of bosses in my entire gaming life, so I'd say that the boss that I love the most lately was Diggernaut from Samus Returns. What a fight.

Ryuji Goda (Yakuza 2)
Psycho Mantis (Metal Gear Solid)
Rufus Shinra (Final Fantasy VII)
Eve (Parasite Eve)
Komodo Brothers (Crash Bandicoot 2)

Lingering will (Kingdom Hearts II Final MIX)

Liquid Ocelot final boss fight (Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots)

Conqueror (The last Remnant)

Vergil (Devil may Cry 3)

Phalanx (Shadow of the colossus)