By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Razer is developing a mobile gaming and entertainment device

Gaming company Razer has confirmed it is in the process of developing a mobile device focusing on gaming and entertainment. "One of the most hotly rumored things about Razer is that we're coming up with a mobile device. And I can say that we are coming up with a mobile device specifically geared toward gamers and entertainment," Min-Liang Tan, CEO and co-founder of Razer, told CNBC's "Managing Asia."

"We're hoping to have it come ... by the end of the year, so that's something we're working on," Tan said.

Best known for its gaming mice and laptops, speculation had been rife about the company's mobile ambitions after it announced its acquisition of smartphone-maker Nextbit in January this year. Razer later shut down support for Nextbit's cloud-based Robin phone in August, tech news outlet CNET reported.

"The mobile market is one of those that we've taken a long-term view to look at ... We realized that a lot of our gamers are also passionate about the mobile gaming market, so we've done a couple of moves," Tan said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/razer-ceo-min-liang-tan-talks-hong-kong-ipo-and-a-razer-mobile-device.html

Around the Network

The "Ouya Go"?

I wonder why gaming devices like Nvidia Shield, Morphus X300, and this never really take off...and the Switch did...hmm... Just saying we've seen and heard this from many companies and it never really works out.

Switch better watch out

I've got an iPad, thanks.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
I wonder why gaming devices like Nvidia Shield, Morphus X300, and this never really take off...and the Switch did...hmm... Just saying we've seen and heard this from many companies and it never really works out.

Because they're not Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft, or a big developer (like Sega or Bethesda or what have you). Simple as that honestly. Not to mention they normally do a terrible job of articulating what the product is to the average consumer, let alone getting the word out to them. Steambox as well, no one wants to buy a third-party console anymore, the market has chosen its front-runners. This is also why I think if Apple ever tried to make a console it would fail miserably.

That being said I'm still surprised Switch is doing as well as it is, despite being the biggest Nintendo fanboy I know I wholeheartedly wasn't sold on the concept of the console. Then again I've also never once used the Switch as a handheld device, only as a home console so perhaps some of its draw was lost on me.

Ljink96 said:

I was very interested in the Nvidia Shield back in the days... until I had a chance to hold it for a few minutes. It was way to heavy (579g) and clunky for a handheld and additionally had a bad weight distribution due to the clamshell form.

The Morphus X300 weights even more (but should have a better weight distribution) and the thick clip-on controllers look like an afterthought... they don't even have the same height as the main device.

The Nintendo Switch has a much better design and the weight with 398g is on the upper end of my comfort zone for a handheld. And of course it doesn't have to depend on Android games.

Sell your Nintendo shares now.

Nintendo could license the Switch out to different manufacturers.
Have a base model built by them, and have Razer and co. build their own custom Switches that are all compatible with Nintendo's titles.
Nintendo gets all the royalties from the game sales and these guys get a jumping off point for these kinds of projects (with custom software packages and such).

It is a decent way for Nintendo to fix the supply and demand issue.