By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Samus Returns is FANTASTIC so What's Next for 2D Metroid?

What should Metroid 5 be?

2D 38 26.95%

2.5D 40 28.37%

3D 25 17.73%

4D 38 26.95%

Total:141
spemanig said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Free aim is a devolution? 

I mean its a matter of tastes but i think its such an obvious improvement, I can't imagine a new 2D Metroid without it, it would feel like going backwards, in fact one of the few bad things that can be said about a masterpiece like Super Metroid is how unconfortable the aiming was in some situations.

I think I backed up my claims with pretty iron-clad arguments in a way that you have yet to.

Free aiming is very good for Metroid. Not by any chance a devolution. You are just wrong. Hopefully you are not that proud of being wrong to keep writing about it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

Free aim is actually one of the devolutions. It's worse than what came before. Most obvious is that you can't move while free aiming, meaning you're vulnerable to any melee enemy attack whenever you do it, which in this this game is literally every enemy. Free aiming replaces the ability to point up or down while moving or remaining stationary. Aiming in such a way is now locked to the direction you run, which is extremely unweildly.

The free aim issue is actually made worse tho by its association with the enemy design. In order to make the counter useful, nearly every enemy has a charge attack, and will attack Samus on sight. Since you can't move while free aiming to get out of the way, and since regular aiming sucks now, and since countering will one-hit-kill every enemy that isnt a boss when executed correctly, there is no reason to even use the free aiming in these situations.

Free aiming is therefor only useful when the player is far enough that the enemy cant spot them. So just for pot shots. Except because of the way levels are designed, many times Samus has to get close because, until she gets the plasma beam, she has to make sure there is a clear shot between her and the enemy while still being far enough away that she doesnt trigger a melee attack. Since this is a Metroid game, irregular level design is common place, meaning theres often a wall or something in the way until she gets a plasma beam. Once she has a plasma beam though, the benefits of fine aim in situations where Samus is in no danger because she is both far way and obstructed by the level design are nill.

But then that's what the counter is for, right? Sure, only countering has also had a detrimental effect on the game. Now enemies feel game-y instead of like wildlife solely to make the counter useful. Even from a purely gameplay perspective tho, having every enemy charge at you makes enemies feel like annoying pests. Like youre constantly swatting away mosquitoes. All for what amounts to one-hit-kill QTEs. A QTE for nearly every enemy in the game as their first attack upon seeing the player. Every enemy reacts the exact same way, and Samus must react in the exact same way everytime in order to dispatch them in the most effecient way possible without even the option to ignore it because the other way is that inferior to just walking up and countering, to the point where i think it is nearly impossible to beat the game without using it constantly because you'd lose too much health to get through the game. (I'm sure you actually could, but it would be a slow and miserable time)

There is no way to balance the melee counter, either the entire game has to be restructured to keep it useful to the detriment of literally everything else ala SR, or not in which case the melee counter would be functionally useless.

---

I'm not going to get into everything i dont like about this game as again i'd rather write about it in a more formal capacity, but hopefully this proves that my perspective is more than just "hurr durr not my metroid." I don't like Aeion either, but i dont really care about how easy it makes the game. Well, i mean i do, but you really don't need to use it, although its really easy to hit the button by accident. Still, options like these shouldn't exist in games like this, as their utility are always far superior to anything else in the game. But at least here, the game actually functions in an enjoyable capacity without using the worst ones. I'll say that I hate the Scan Pulse, dislike the sheild, and am so-so on the slomo (still kinda dislike tho) and machine gun whatever. I don't like how the machine gun opens some doors, but that a problem with level design, not the ability itself.

I also want to clarify that I wasn't looking to SR to evolve the franchise at all. When i mentioned evolution, i was talking about an ideal. In the ideal situation, every new game, remake or otherwise, would be a linear evolution of what came before. I'd be fine with a parellel tho, something i literally mentioned six words later from what youre responding to. A parellel meaning that the game remains consistent relatively speaking with the best in the series. Zero Mission is the perfect example of this. Super is better, but ZM is for all intents and purposes an acceptable lateral/parellel move. Again, from what I've seen, AM2R seems to be the same. SR didn't need to reinvent the wheel, but as it is now it only managed to flatten it.

Wow.

You have a capacity for being negative about stuff that goes way beyond what I imagined was possible. In the end, your post kinda feels like a "hurr durr not my metroid", just exponentially developed in loads of words.

I understand why you wouldn't like the counter, since it is a dramatic change to combat, but since combat was actually so irrelevant in previous Metroid games I don't really see that big of an issue. I do think it was poorly used in most boss fights, because then it just triggers long-ass "interactive" cutscenes that instantly wipe out like 50% of the boss's health, but for the most part it's something I just got used to. In previous games, I'd see enemies and ignore them, in Samus Returns I see enemies and quickly shave them off with the counter. I liked how it made enemies more aggressive though, it made it feel like there was a bit more of a real obstacle to the exploration and it made the world seem more dangerous.

But yeah, the fact you somehow dislike free aim is beyond baffling. I understand the complaint about not being able to move while aiming, but that is such an extremely shallow complaint. When did you actually aim and shoot diagonally while moving in any previous Metroid game, like, ever? Once, twice? It was never much of an useful feature, if you're moving you're usually shooting forward, except in very specific cases. Also, don't get me started on how cumbersome it was to aim diagonally down in Fusion and ZM, a problem free aim fixes completely. Previous Metroid games weren't designed in a way that your 8-direction shots could hit every enemy, they were designed in a way that had loads of enemies that were awkward to hit because of their positioning, and now with free aiming those enemies are no longer a pain in the ass because the controls allow you a lot more freedom.

Whats funny is that boss fights are the one area where i don't mind the counter because I actually don't need to use it, and bossed don't exclusively spam counterable moves.

Enemies in metroid games are mostly wildlife. They arent meant to be obstacles. They are set dressing. Bosses and enemies like the space pirates are. Even so, enemies die in one hit with the counter, which is just an easy to execute QTE. In what way does that make the world feel dangerous? Enemies in SR are mindless annoyances that all react in the exact same way.

Moved and aimed diagonally all the time in Super. And even if it was rarely, it absolutely eclipses the amount of times that being rooted to the ground was more useful, which is a resounding never. And aiming diagonally down absolutely was cumbersome in those games. The solution isnt then to make a worse, infinitely less useful aiming option. It's to go back to what worked before. I'd infinitely rather not be able to aim comfortably in one direction, the least useful direction, while still having perfect mobility with an attack that is actually useful in literally every scanario than SR's implementation.

Previous metroids required you to move to hit an enemy at the very most. Thats it. Heaven forbid a metroid game forces the player to be mobile. There's nothing awkward about that. The idea that free aiming as it's implemented now offers more freedom is an objectively false one, for reasons I've already argued. SR trades literally every other freedom the previous way offered for the "freedom" of not having to take one step forward to hit an enemy. Absolutely not worth it.

Pavolink said:
spemanig said:

I think I backed up my claims with pretty iron-clad arguments in a way that you have yet to.

Free aiming is very good for Metroid. Not by any chance a devolution. You are just wrong. Hopefully you are not that proud of being wrong to keep writing about it.

spemanig said:

mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

Metroid's original design philosophy was to be like a silent movie. That's why "environmental storytelling" is such a treasured aspect of the series, a description I still don't like btw. Either way, it was never meant to be a literal communication of story, and Prime is not understandable at all without scanning. As much as i hate scanning, Prime is a demonstrably worse game without knowing whats going on. It has terrible narrative conveyance.

Yeah. Personally, I'm not a fan of the scan logs, but I'll still read all of them because they're part of what makes Prime itself and they're a big part of the world-building of that game, so I can't just bring myself to ignore them. However, I appreciate the unspoken stuff a lot more in the 2D games - a recent example being Area 7 in Samus Returns, an area I just found visually interesting and blazed through the first time, but then after talking with a friend I came to realize it was the Chozo Laboratory where the Metroids had been created, and from then noticing all the little details and theorizing about stuff is so much more enticing. Seeing dead bodies in Super Metroid brings about a lot more dread and makes you wonder about what exactly happened than any moment in Prime where you see a dead body and then read a dumb little log saying stuff like "victim appears to have had his head severed" or something.

I think a lot of the beauty of Metroid comes from this mystery and from all the untold and unknown things. It's why I'm so hyped about the stuff in the Chozo Memories, because it makes me theorize a lot about something we know very little of.

Agreed. One thing I really don't like about SR is when it turns these moments into a cutscene instead of just letting players happen upon them, but when it doesnt do that, those moments can be very special. The reveal of the chozo memory spoiler is a definite highlight.

Even so, I'd take a silect and unecessary cutscene showing me something id rather discover myself over scan logs any day with absolute glee.

mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

The idea that free aiming as it's implemented now offers more freedom is an objectively false one, for reasons I've already argued.

Hm, I think I understand your point. What you're saying is that you're right, and everyone else is wrong. Who would've thought?

Wait, I'm sorry, but are you free to do more things with free aim in SR than you can with the old way in Super, ZM, or Fusion? Did i not prove my point already? Did you bring up any point at all supporting the contrary?

Please, what are these options I'm not seeing that means that free aim offers more freedom, not less, than the old way. Just exactly how versitile is samus using free aim compared to the old way? How many more things can she do because of this newly found freedom? How do you define freedom? Is that where the discrepancy lies?

Not to be a jerk, but this is a numbers game. I do not feel the least bit bad telling you that 2+2 =/= 5 when you've done nothing to prove that it does. Because, of course, you can't. And neither can i- that's not how numbers work. Perhaps you could say thay you value the the benefit of free aiming over the freedom that the old way grants, in which case the debate can go in a different direction, but i haven't seen any way in which free aim offers more possibilities and freedom over what came before. Only that it's more comfortable and accurate to hit the intended spot on an enemy more quickly, which isn't freedom when you can't do anything else while doing that, and when the entire game is designed to limit and restrict its usefullness in favor of something else.

EDIT: Also, i want to say that this is coming from someone who wanted a free aim-like system in future metroids before SR. Then I finally played a Metroid game with it. It doesn't work. Maybe in a future game they can tie aiming to the right analog stick. Then again, that'll mess with the face buttons, so maybe it'll never work. Either way, it sucks in SR. At least that much is subjective.

I'm a big Metroid fan, but I'm playing Steamworld Dig 2 instead. Samus Returns has terrible graphics and art. I just can't get over that lol.

Now I'm waiting for Hollow Knight to release on Switch as well... In other words, no shortage of Metroidvania games for a big Metroid fan like me.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
spemanig said:
MTZehvor said:

Going into moderately heavy spoiler territory for the unlockable memories in Samus Returns, so avoid if you haven't finished the game.

I'm working off the assumption here that the story will have something to do with the rebel Chozo faction depicted at on the "2D/10" panel. In other words, if Nintendo wants to make a story revolving around this faction, I think a Prime style game would be the best choice. The biggest reason why is that this is a narrative that will inevitably involve a lot of backstory. Samus having a questionable relationship with the Federation is easy enough to explain in an opening Super Metroid-esque monologue. But if the game wants to tackle this group of Chozo, there's going to be a lot of backstory that the player is going to have to be supplied with. Who are these rebels? What caused them to split from the mainline, peaceful Chozo in the first place? Who is the leader that executed the SR-388 elders? What caused them to suddenly disappeared from the galaxy? What exactly do they think they can accomplish with their violent methods that the other Chozo were unable to accomplish with peace? Do they know what happened to the rest of the Chozo, and if so, what? This is the type of story that a Prime style game is better prepared to address than a 2D game; the heavy emphasis on discovering what has happened up to this point and learning about what a seemingly lost civilization did are hallmarks of the Prime series. I'll grant that not everyone enjoys scanning that much, but that's a non-unique issue; plenty of people didn't like Fusion's and Other M's stories being delivered heavily by dialogue and cutscenes as that breaks the sense of isolation (not to mention that Nintendo doesn't exactly have a great history of delivering well executed story heavy cutscenes in Metroid). Inevitably, someone's not going to be happy with the method of story delivery. But that's how it goes with video games; you're never going to be able to please everyone, and enough people seem to enjoy the Prime games that if we're worried about how much people like it, a system based off Prime seems to be the best bet.

There's a couple arguments that seemed kind of contradictory. Firstly, sure, you can make every cutscene skippable, but if you're trying to implement a story that's basically optional to players having a good time with the game, scanning seems like the surefire way to go. Prime scanning set the benchmark for stories that are entirely optional; you don't have to scan any of the lore in Prime if you don't want to and you can still enjoy the game while having a general idea of what's going on. If the idea is to create a story that people don't need to be informed about to enjoy the experience, scanning seems like the obvious choice.

Secondly, I'm not quite sure I understand the comments about "dumbing down/hindering" the experience. I'm assuming the argument is that since scanning isn't something all people enjoy, that the enjoyability factor will be lessened for people that don't want to scan? If that's the case, then they can just opt to not scan and proceed as before, same as they could with skipping cutscenes. 

Metroid's original design philosophy was to be like a silent movie. That's why "environmental storytelling" is such a treasured aspect of the series, a description I still don't like btw. Either way, it was never meant to be a literal communication of story, and Prime is not understandable at all without scanning. As much as i hate scanning, Prime is a demonstrably worse game without knowing whats going on. It has terrible narrative conveyance.

At all. Something like Ori, Teslagrad, or even Hyperlight Drifter are more in tune with the way metroid tells its stories ideally. It's not just environment. It's dialog-free action and motion unobstructed by cutscenes. I think Limbo and Inside are the same, but i haven't played those or seen gameplay.

Sort of. The original Metroid and Metroid II had no such design intentions, and it wasn't until Super Metroid where the philosophy of being like a silent movie came into play, at least according to interview with Yoshio Sakamoto. And even then the ideal wasn't to create a movie-esque experience without talking because that makes for a good video game, the decision was made because Super Metroid was barely able to fit into an SNES cartridge at the time and just about any text outside of the opening monologue and the item descriptions would have been impossible to fit into the game. It's telling that the first game Sakamoto directed after Super Metroid was dialogue heavy by series standards.

Prime is very understandable without scanning, provided you've played the series beforehand. Samus receives the distress signal to frigate Orpheon, encounters Ridley, blows the station up, and tracks him to the ground below. Samus' main motivation from that point forward is to find Ridley, at least until she finds the Space Pirate operation in Phendrana, at which point it expands to destroying the Pirates there. It's only at the end of the game where things would potentially become more difficult to understand with the Artifact Temple and Metroid Prime, which is certainly an issue, but the vast majority of the game up to that point is understandable and enjoyable without scanning.

Is it a lesser experience if you don't scan? Sure, I'll agree 100% with that. But then again, any game where you just skip through the cutscenes and utterly ignore the story is going to be a worse experience, as was the proposition in the post I was replying to. The question is, can the game still be enjoyed without it? And with Prime, the answer is a solid yes.

spemanig said:
mZuzek said:

Wow.

You have a capacity for being negative about stuff that goes way beyond what I imagined was possible. In the end, your post kinda feels like a "hurr durr not my metroid", just exponentially developed in loads of words.

I understand why you wouldn't like the counter, since it is a dramatic change to combat, but since combat was actually so irrelevant in previous Metroid games I don't really see that big of an issue. I do think it was poorly used in most boss fights, because then it just triggers long-ass "interactive" cutscenes that instantly wipe out like 50% of the boss's health, but for the most part it's something I just got used to. In previous games, I'd see enemies and ignore them, in Samus Returns I see enemies and quickly shave them off with the counter. I liked how it made enemies more aggressive though, it made it feel like there was a bit more of a real obstacle to the exploration and it made the world seem more dangerous.

But yeah, the fact you somehow dislike free aim is beyond baffling. I understand the complaint about not being able to move while aiming, but that is such an extremely shallow complaint. When did you actually aim and shoot diagonally while moving in any previous Metroid game, like, ever? Once, twice? It was never much of an useful feature, if you're moving you're usually shooting forward, except in very specific cases. Also, don't get me started on how cumbersome it was to aim diagonally down in Fusion and ZM, a problem free aim fixes completely. Previous Metroid games weren't designed in a way that your 8-direction shots could hit every enemy, they were designed in a way that had loads of enemies that were awkward to hit because of their positioning, and now with free aiming those enemies are no longer a pain in the ass because the controls allow you a lot more freedom.

Whats funny is that boss fights are the one area where i don't mind the counter because I actually don't need to use it, and bossed don't exclusively spam counterable moves.

Enemies in metroid games are mostly wildlife. They arent meant to be obstacles. They are set dressing. Bosses and enemies like the space pirates are. Even so, enemies die in one hit with the counter, which is just an easy to execute QTE. In what way does that make the world feel dangerous? Enemies in SR are mindless annoyances that all react in the exact same way.

Moved and aimed diagonally all the time in Super. And even if it was rarely, it absolutely eclipses the amount of times that being rooted to the ground was more useful, which is a resounding never. And aiming diagonally down absolutely was cumbersome in those games. The solution isnt then to make a worse, infinitely less useful aiming option. It's to go back to what worked before. I'd infinitely rather not be able to aim comfortably in one direction, the least useful direction, while still having perfect mobility with an attack that is actually useful in literally every scanario than SR's implementation.

Previous metroids required you to move to hit an enemy at the very most. Thats it. Heaven forbid a metroid game forces the player to be mobile. There's nothing awkward about that. The idea that free aiming as it's implemented now offers more freedom is an objectively false one, for reasons I've already argued. SR trades literally every other freedom the previous way offered for the "freedom" of not having to take one step forward to hit an enemy. Absolutely not worth it.

Agree and disagree with this. Enemies in previous Metroid games have largely just been set dressing (although I'd argue Fusion is a major exception to this), but that doesn't mean they should stay that way. If the game wants to make them more of a threat like Fusion, or (as they are in this game) use them as a way to get the player used to a major mechanic of the game, in this case, the counter system, then go for it. Regular enemies shouldn't be restricted to this one, small role of just being target practice. 

Being able to aim in any direction, even if it means being rooted to the ground, is absolutely useful. Being able to precisely aim at enemies from long distances away, especially Metroids, was something I found to be extremely helpful. Losing diagonal aiming while standing still does suck, but you can do it while running, simply by holding the stick to the right and slightly up. The only thing I think really adversely affected gameplay was the grapple beam at points; doing multiple consecutive grapples without a button for diagonal aiming isn't as easy.

MTZehvor said:
spemanig said:

At all. Something like Ori, Teslagrad, or even Hyperlight Drifter are more in tune with the way metroid tells its stories ideally. It's not just environment. It's dialog-free action and motion unobstructed by cutscenes. I think Limbo and Inside are the same, but i haven't played those or seen gameplay.

Sort of. The original Metroid and Metroid II had no such design intentions, and it wasn't until Super Metroid where the philosophy of being like a silent movie came into play, at least according to interview with Yoshio Sakamoto. And even then the ideal wasn't to create a movie-esque experience without talking because that makes for a good video game, the decision was made because Super Metroid was barely able to fit into an SNES cartridge at the time and just about any text outside of the opening monologue and the item descriptions would have been impossible to fit into the game. It's telling that the first game Sakamoto directed after Super Metroid was dialogue heavy by series standards.

Prime is very understandable without scanning, provided you've played the series beforehand. Samus receives the distress signal to frigate Orpheon, encounters Ridley, blows the station up, and tracks him to the ground below. Samus' main motivation from that point forward is to find Ridley, at least until she finds the Space Pirate operation in Phendrana, at which point it expands to destroying the Pirates there. It's only at the end of the game where things would potentially become more difficult to understand with the Artifact Temple and Metroid Prime, which is certainly an issue, but the vast majority of the game up to that point is understandable and enjoyable without scanning.

Is it a lesser experience if you don't scan? Sure, I'll agree 100% with that. But then again, any game where you just skip through the cutscenes and utterly ignore the story is going to be a worse experience, as was the proposition in the post I was replying to. The question is, can the game still be enjoyed without it? And with Prime, the answer is a solid yes.

I think you're misinterpreting the first interview where the silent movie thing is brought up for the first time where the idea was actually put to use. It's definitely there in M2, and id argue it's even in M1. Also, where has it ever been implied that SM was too big for dialog? The system that popularized huge, "open world" RPGs. I doubt it was too big to fit any more dialog. I think Sakamoto just changed the direction for the series. That's it.

My speculation has always been that SM was supposed to end the series, but then he read that manga and got a bunch of ideas that, naturally, ran counter to the universe he and Yokoi previously built. Now Metroid is trying to be a shitty shonen story with a shitty shonen protagonist who now has shitty shonen abilities with a shitty shonen presentation. (that I'll admit was toned down in SR). That's where Fusion's crappy plot/linearity, Zero Mission's Zero Suit and canonization of the manga at the end, Other M's everything, and SR's focus on showmanship and flashy action instead of actual substance come from. I think.

I mean, you can ignore cutscenes in most games and enjoy them. That being said, I cant really argue with your points on prime. Like, yopu got me there. Better conveyance than I remember. I still dont think that something so tedious that most players want to ignore belongs in any game, let along Metroid.

MTZehvor said:
spemanig said:

Agree and disagree with this. Enemies in previous Metroid games have largely just been set dressing (although I'd argue Fusion is a major exception to this), but that doesn't mean they should stay that way. If the game wants to make them more of a threat like Fusion, or (as they are in this game) use them as a way to get the player used to a major mechanic of the game, in this case, the counter system, then go for it. Regular enemies shouldn't be restricted to this one, small role of just being target practice. 

Being able to aim in any direction, even if it means being rooted to the ground, is absolutely useful. Being able to precisely aim at enemies from long distances away, especially Metroids, was something I found to be extremely helpful. Losing diagonal aiming while standing still does suck, but you can do it while running, simply by holding the stick to the right and slightly up. The only thing I think really adversely affected gameplay was the grapple beam at points; doing multiple consecutive grapples without a button for diagonal aiming isn't as easy.

I'd agree that fusion is the exception, but that made sense narratively. I'm fine with the change in Fusion, a game that is my least favorite in the 2D series. (Well, SR is now) In SR it doesn't work because it make enemies more annoying and somehow less interesting to fight to force a mechanic that sucks while restricting a mechanic that used to work fine.

Also, I may have been unclear. I know you can aim diagonally while moving forward. It just sucks to aim this way. Like the controls suck. That's why the button exists in Super/ZM/Fusion in the first place. And you can aim diagonally still in SR while standing still. I'm not at all saying that aiming while standing still using free aim is inferior in ease of control to the older way.

With the grapple beam, its easier and harder. The real difference isnt the aiming though, it's the the amount of grapple points. SR has fewer per platforming challenge. I should also take this time to say that I think the implementation here is one of the only instances where SR expands on what was there before. There are things i don't like about it, but the grapple beam has much more utility than it ever has in a 2D Metroid. It's not even close. I'd want the implementation next time to be less systematic and more naturalistic, as it feels way too game-y as it is now, but the ideas are good and welcome.

spemanig said:
MTZehvor said:

I think you're misinterpreting the first interview where the silent movie thing is brought up for the first time where the idea was actually put to use. It's definitely there in M2, and id argue it's even in M1. Also, where has it ever been implied that SM was too big for dialog? The system that popularized huge, "open world" RPGs. I doubt it was too big to fit any more dialog. I think Sakamoto just changed the direction for the series. That's it.

My speculation has always been that SM was supposed to end the series, but then he read that manga and got a bunch of ideas that, naturally, ran counter to the universe he and Yokoi previously built. Now Metroid is trying to be a shitty shonen story with a shitty shonen protagonist who now has shitty shonen abilities with a shitty shonen presentation. (that I'll admit was toned down in SR). That's where Fusion's crappy plot/linearity, Zero Mission's Zero Suit and canonization of the manga at the end, Other M's everything, and SR's focus on showmanship and flashy action instead of actual substance come from. I think.

I mean, you can ignore cutscenes in most games and enjoy them. That being said, I cant really argue with your points on prime. Like, yopu got me there. Better conveyance than I remember. I still dont think that something so tedious that most players want to ignore belongs in any game, let along Metroid.

I'd encourage you to go read the interviews with him focusing on Super Metroid; it's pretty evident from his words that most of the ideas that were meant to make Metroid seem like a movie were (title screen panning across like a movie, dead bodies strewn in the background of Ceres, etc.) new to Super Metroid. Perhaps there are elements of it in M1 and M2, but I'd suspect they were less a deliberate effort to make the game like a silent movie and more just Sakamoto taking inspiration from what he happened to think was cool (back then, the Alien movies) and working them into his most recent project (or, in the case of M2, simply trying to emulate M1).

As for Super Metroid's dialogue issues, size is mentioned in an interview with I believe R&D1. At the time of its release, Super Metroid was the largest game ever made (I believe for any system, but at the very least for the SNES). Given the good but not great sales of the first two titles, Nintendo was reluctant to push funding for ways to try and fit additional memory so that the game could be bigger. And while there are plenty of RPGs for the system with lots of dialogue, Super Metroid's (for the day) variety of sprites and graphical design took up much more room than the same things did for games like Chrono Trigger.

As for the "tediousness," of scanning, I was under the impression that a relatively small amount of people consider it that tedious. Probably aren't that many people going lore hunting all over a planet, but most people I've seen play Prime who aren't immediately turned off by the slower pace of Metroid are fine with using it. At worst, I'd say keep it in for the people who do like it, and just make the story simple enough that it can be followed without scanning. Kind of like Prime 2/3 did; have the main antagonist/motivation established early on, and have scanning be pretty much entirely devoted to world building.