By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Samus Returns is FANTASTIC so What's Next for 2D Metroid?

What should Metroid 5 be?

2D 38 26.95%

2.5D 40 28.37%

3D 25 17.73%

4D 38 26.95%

Total:141

I too would like to see a 2D sprite-based game in the vein of Super Metroid. With today's technology, such a game would look fantastic and for me would have so much more atmosphere than a 2.5D game.

Around the Network

Finished today, definitely up there amongst the best Metroid games alongside Zero Mission and Super.

If they didn't have to make this a remake of Metroid II I'd argue it'd probably be the best 2D Metroid game of all time since the repetitivity of the bosses was forced by the original and Samus Returns does its best to add up to that to give more variety. I'm really looking forward to Metroid 5 since they even hinted at it in the photo gallery...

mZuzek said:
Chrizum said:
I too would like to see a 2D sprite-based game in the vein of Super Metroid. With today's technology, such a game would look fantastic and for me would have so much more atmosphere than a 2.5D game.

~Says the guy who hasn't played the 2.5D game.

(Yes, assumption levels off the charts here I know. But it seems to be the case and it's likely as seemingly most people here haven't played it... and no, you can't judge atmosphere just by watching a game, that's ridiculous.)

I indeed haven't played it (don't own a 3DS). But I'm not talking about gameplay or anything like that. I just prefer the look and feel of 2D sprites over 2.5D.

I'd say the answer should largely depend on what exactly they want to do with the game, because both the Prime games and the 2D titles are better at different things. If it's going to focus on the teaser image that you get after 100%ing the game, however, I think I'd lean towards a first person Prime title. Prime's emphasis on atmosphere from a first person perspective and the ability to scan lore would both be very useful for a game that would probably be extremely atmospheric and focus heavily on background knowledge.

mZuzek said:
Chrizum said:

I indeed haven't played it (don't own a 3DS). But I'm not talking about gameplay or anything like that. I just prefer the look and feel of 2D sprites over 2.5D.

I get your point, and I too thought I wanted 2D Metroid to remain pixel-art forever, but then I played this game and realized that really shouldn't be the case.

Buy me a 3DS and I'll find out for myself!

Around the Network

All these people saying they're more excited for Metroid 5 or that they think Metroid should only be in 2D make me sad. I have only played Prime 1, but I can honestly not imagine Metroid games being better than the Prime series.

I even played a bit of Super Metroid and found it very meh in the first few hours

mZuzek said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
All these people saying they're more excited for Metroid 5 or that they think Metroid should only be in 2D make me sad. I have only played Prime 1, but I can honestly not imagine Metroid games being better than the Prime series.

I even played a bit of Super Metroid and found it very meh in the first few hours

My first Metroid games were Super and Prime and at first I thought they were both meh, because that's what Metroid games are like - they take a while to get good and they have a heavy atmosphere that is hard to get into. Also, Super is better than Prime, that much is quite undeniable to anyone with any sense of level design, art design, and storytelling.

That said, trying to stir up a fuss about 2D vs. 3D Metroid, you're the one who's making me sad here. Of course I am more hyped for Metroid 5, because A. it would be a long anticipated continuation of a story that was left quite unfinished 15 years ago (unlike Prime, which was finished 10 years ago), and B. because there's actually some real solid evidence of where the game is going and what it might be about, and it could potentially be the most important Metroid game ever story-wise. Prime 4 has none of that, it has a tentative logo and that's it, so of course people aren't as excited - especially considering it's being made by a new, unproven studio that might just screw everything up (I doubt it, but you never know), unlike Metroid 5 which if made by MercurySteam would be on the hands of people who have already handled the franchise very well recently.

Not unless you believe in objectivity, which I don't.

I'm also not trying to stir up a fuss, there were other posters making comparisons and I comment on them. I admitted to having little experience with the 2D games for a reason, I can't judge them! I just think that I have similar feelings for Prime as you do GOTG 2, where you think it's impossible but still techincally possible for 3 to beat 2. If I had my way I'd prefer both games being released. Plus, I'm going to buy this remake soon! So I  could change my mind. 

I think both 3D and 2D Metroids has its cons and pros. Tbh, I think that both can and should coexist, and that's the same way I feel about franchises like Zelda. I hope that Nintendo can bring us Metroid 5, and not just bring us Metroid Prime 4. I must say that I'm definitely more hyped about a new 2D Metroid than a new Prime, because it's been a long time since we didn't have a pretty good 2D Metroid.

About Samus Returns, I haven't had the opportunity to play the game (sadly, I sold my 3DS a while ago, and I still regret that choice, but it's late now ). But I heard that there are teleportation rooms in the game? I mean, that doesn't make the game feel more linear? It's what kept me worried about it. I mean, Metroid games is about backtracking and find new paths with your new adquired power-ups. Also, how does the 3D feels in this game? I'm about to buy it with a friend who still has the 3DS, and we're definitely thinking about it.

mZuzek said:

Not unless you believe in objectivity, which I don't.

I'm also not trying to stir up a fuss, there were other posters making comparisons and I comment on them. I admitted to having little experience with the 2D games for a reason, I can't judge them! I just think that I have similar feelings for Prime as you do GOTG 2, where you think it's impossible but still techincally possible for 3 to beat 2. If I had my way I'd prefer both games being released. Plus, I'm going to buy this remake soon! So I  could change my mind. 

You will change your mind if you give it a fair chance, which it seems you didn't with Super. The reality is, the Prime games are spin-offs, plain and simple. They tell a different story and they have a different focus in their approach, ditching a lot of the platforming and action-based elements of the 2D games in favor of a heavier focus on atmosphere and world-building (which the 2D games don't lack, mind you). They're more skewed towards slow-paced, immersive gameplay, whereas I think the 2D games in general are more balanced -

Super in particular being the ultimate perfection of that balance, as a game that is both very immersive and has plenty of world-building (and has a great story despite its minimalism), but also a game that is very non-linear, action-based and actually quite fast-paced once you know what you're doing. This is what Super, and to a lesser extent the other 2D games have, that Prime doesn't - Prime, for as great of a game (or trilogy) as it is, usually restricts the user to a set path and actively stops the player from breaking it, be it with nonsense "plot armor" moments (the stupid plants that grow near Flaahgra that for some reason you can't burn with your plasma beam? Seriously?) or just by fixing exploits (such as scandash) in later versions of the game to make sure no one gets away with stuff they weren't meant to. Super, on the other hand, manages to guide the player through a pretty linear and straightforward experience, but also subtly introduces elements to the gameplay (shinesparks, walljumps) that allow a skilled player to do loads of crazy stuff they weren't "meant" to do, and that feeling of breaking the game is utterly satisfying - and it turns what was a pretty linear game at first into a ridiculously open mess for those who know what they're doing.

God, you said that my comment made you sad because it was creating a fuss to start Metroid 2d vs 3d fights, but you break out in paragraphs about how much better 2D Metroid is? I'll play the games eventually, don't worry. 

Also, every game on the Wii U i've played that's 2D I didn't like, except for maybe Tropical Freeze. I'm pretty sure that system just has a terrible D-pad, or the games just aren't for me. Probably the former.

mZuzek said:

God, you said that my comment made you sad because it was creating a fuss to start Metroid 2d vs 3d fights, but you break out in paragraphs about how much better 2D Metroid is? I'll play the games eventually, don't worry. 

Also, every game on the Wii U i've played that's 2D I didn't like, except for maybe Tropical Freeze. I'm pretty sure that system just has a terrible D-pad, or the games just aren't for me. Probably the former.

Eh, maybe that's just something you have against 2D games. I don't mind playing 2D games on the stick at all (Samus Returns for one doesn't even allow you to use the D-pad).

Also, I never said 2D Metroid is "better", I said it's more balanced, which is true. They allow for faster paced gameplay without losing the sense of atmosphere, whereas the 3D games are much, much heavier on the atmosphere side. That alone doesn't make them any better or worse, but it definitely makes them less balanced. (.......and less replayable.)

I like playing 2D games on a stick or D-pad, I don't have a preference really. Right now i'm playing Sonic Mania on Switch and it's fine. Plus some of my favorite games are 2D like Rayman Legends or Sonic mania

All I know is that I love Prime 1, and I think it would be hard for me to see the perspective of Metroid being definitive in 2D. I just love Prime so much. Even if it is less balanced or more linear. It's amazing.