By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch 3rd party support really that impressive?

Support right now has been tepid but in the next 6-8 months you will see a ton of announcements.

Developers see the early big sales and are going to greenlight content, which causes other developers to sit up and say "hey, maybe we should get in on this too".

Nintendo though really just needed one of the big Western pubs + Square-Enix to step up. And it seems like they're getting that. Bethesda has stepped up in the West, and it looks like Square-Enix is going to support the system more heavily than any Nintendo system since the Super NES.

Nintendo doesn't need the same level of support as Sony/MS, Sony/MS would wither and die without relying on third parties to basically sell their systems. Nintendo just needs 3rd party support to fill in gaps on their systems in certain genres.

Basically if Nintendo can get some of the licensed sports IP yearly + some first person shooters from Western devs + some of the more popular Japanese IPs ... they're good as long as their own internal studios are on point with their releases. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Not yet since it's basically just Bethesda and a few EA titles.

A few EA titles?  You mean FIFA.  That is one title not a few.

Wii U got the benefit of the doubt from devs because of Wii, and even then many devs passed because the Wii had fizzled out hard towards the end.

Switch had the Wii U to follow up, so developers were not as enthusiastic. Even with 3DS, Switch concept would've been shown to devs prior to Pokemon Go causing an ok second wind for the 3DS platform.

Switch will gain support especially in the next few months. No doubt about it.

Soundwave said:

Support right now has been tepid but in the next 6-8 months you will see a ton of announcements.

Developers see the early big sales and are going to greenlight content, which causes other developers to sit up and say "hey, maybe we should get in on this too".

Nintendo though really just needed one of the big Western pubs + Square-Enix to step up. And it seems like they're getting that. Bethesda has stepped up in the West, and it looks like Square-Enix is going to support the system more heavily than any Nintendo system since the Super NES.

Nintendo doesn't need the same level of support as Sony/MS, Sony/MS would wither and die without relying on third parties to basically sell their systems. Nintendo just needs 3rd party support to fill in gaps on their systems in certain genres.

Basically if Nintendo can get some of the licensed sports IP yearly + some first person shooters from Western devs + some of the more popular Japanese IPs ... they're good as long as their own internal studios are on point with their releases. 

Well said.
Japanese developers give Switch almost full support, and the West is just joining. But this takes time. In 2018 we will find out how well the Switch is supported by the third party.

I wouldn't say THAT impressive, but so far it seems like it's set to be the strongest certainly since the SNES era. Wii had the quantity but not necessarily the quality. N64 and Cube was pretty much reversed. And Wii U? Let's not even go there..

Indies are strong as ever, but even discounting them, the "AAA" stuff is finally starting to shape up. Mario + Rabbids, Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein 1, LA Noire, Payday 2, Octopath, Rocket League, all good stuff.. And a surprising amount of M rated stuff as a sidenote. The only thing we may be sort of lacking is that major EXCLUSIVE AAA third party hit, but I think that will come in time. Still, hell of a lineup considering the console is still barely half way into its first year.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Yes its miles better than the wii u wii and gamecube

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

I know it's too early to say anything concrete (2018 will be that year), but i don't think time or more sales will necessarily help Switch.
If Wii U didn't get more support because of it's sales, Switch will probably get less support - than it could - because of specs.

Not just that Wii U didnt get more 3rd support because its sales, but fact is that rapidly started losing support that did had only few months after launch, thats why just after 1st year Wii U ended whitout most of 3rd party support that had on launch. You can bet (I am willing to bet), that Switch will get much more 3rd party support how time goes buy, how Switch continue to selling good and how instal base is growing, and we alredy seeing that curently.

No, Wii U lost the little support it had with it's slow sales.

Fact is, Wii U didn't have a lot of companies behind it and that was clear when you kept seeing games announced for PS3/XB360 and none for Wii U.
The decision to not bring games those games to Wii U was made before it was even out.

As i said, more sales probably won't equal more support.
Either Switch can handle ports in a satisfactory way (from dev's point of view) or it won't get them. Period.
In that regard, if devs can't port to Switch, [Switch] can sell really well and that still won't matter.

I always wondered how Nintendo convinced Bethesda to bring games to Switch, but couldn't convince EA (with the exception of Fifa), Ubisoft and Activision to bring their best games, too.
Really hope it was due to Wii U and not HW, because if it is HW issues...

It would be impressive if it was a matter of the platform and not the natural progress of technology

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not just that Wii U didnt get more 3rd support because its sales, but fact is that rapidly started losing support that did had only few months after launch, thats why just after 1st year Wii U ended whitout most of 3rd party support that had on launch. You can bet (I am willing to bet), that Switch will get much more 3rd party support how time goes buy, how Switch continue to selling good and how instal base is growing, and we alredy seeing that curently.

No, Wii U lost the little support it had with it's slow sales.

Fact is, Wii U didn't have a lot of companies behind it and that was clear when you kept seeing games announced for PS3/XB360 and none for Wii U.
The decision to not bring games those games to Wii U was made before it was even out.

As i said, more sales probably won't equal more support.
Either Switch can handle ports in a satisfactory way (from dev's point of view) or it won't get them. Period.
In that regard, if devs can't port to Switch, [Switch] can sell really well and that still won't matter.

I always wondered how Nintendo convinced Bethesda to bring games to Switch, but couldn't convince EA (with the exception of Fifa), Ubisoft and Activision to bring their best games, too.
Really hope it was due to Wii U and not HW, because if it is HW issues...

Thats point, they lost almost all suport they had beacuse bad sales, Wii U launch lineup included: CoD, AC, Batman, Mass Effect 3, Madden, Fifa, NBA, NFS, Darksiders...and Wii U lost that support and that companies start abandoning Wii U after terrible Wii U sales only few months after lunch, we had plenty reports about canceled versions of Wii U games only few months after launch.

If Wii U actually was more successful platform we would actually had more 3rd party support of course.

Sales, succes and instal base of platform are very important if we talk about support. That doesn't meant that successful Nintendo platform will have 3rd party support same like PS4, but that of course means that same platform that has good sales, look like success and good instal base will have much more 3rd party support in any case compared to same platform that doesn't sell, look like failure and have low install base. Why Wii had more than 10 Fifa games compared to Wii U that only had one Fifa game even fact is that Wii U had similar power to PS3/Xbox360 compared to Wii, why Wii U losed almost hole 3rd party support in 1st year, why with Switch we getting more and more 3rd party support how time is passing, beacuse of sales offcourse. Any game can be ported, its only comes to that if dev means is it worth it, and much higher chances is that they will think its worth to port game if platform look like succes, has good sales and good instal base.That's clear logic, and you trying to reverse logic.

Maybe its not point that Nintendo convinced Bethesda, Bethesda see that Switch will be successful platform and they think their games will sale, and they like idea they full handheld mode gave new dimension to their games compared to other platforms. After Wii U faile, some 3rd parties take "wait and see aprouch" with Switch, so for start they relasing one or two not their biggest games,but we will see more announcements from EA, Ubi and Activations.

sethnintendo said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Not yet since it's basically just Bethesda and a few EA titles.

A few EA titles?  You mean FIFA.  That is one title not a few.

Thanks, sarge, I'll be sure to look that info up next time.