By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happened to "portable games for portable a console"

Tagged games:

Veknoid_Outcast said:
twintail said:
this reminds me of a guy who was adamant that he never wanted console experiences on his DS/ 3DS, and now has a switch and cant believe he can have console experiences on the go.

my impression is that there are enough nintendo fans who just flip flop a lot just because Nintendo decides to do something.

Oh I think I know that guy!

Was he the same guy who blasted Xbox for paid online and then paid Sony for the privilege? And the same dude that insisted 960p on Xbox One made no difference and then celebrated Xbox One X for being the most powerful console on the market? Man, that guy is everywhere!

Lol! Love this post!

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Arminillo said:

The only people I know/knew personally that had an original PSP used it for piracy. I have never known anyone who bought an NDS without using it as intended initially.

Knowing is not statist term. 

This report is better than that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393317

But that report is for Europe only, not comparing PSP in a similar time frame, and came out mere months before the 3DS release. Do have anything from when both systems were in their prime? Im not sure if"stats" exist for total piracy besides monitioring some sites download counts.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Turkish said:
superchunk said:

Bolded is not a fact.

PSP sold 81MM units.
3DS around 65MM and still has at least 2 more years of availability on the market. (including 2DS).
They still sell at $199 for XL versions. Nintendo has tons of margin and profit.

Sure, I expect 3DS support from Nintendo to dry up on 2018 as focus is 100% on Switch. But, that doesn't mean it won't continue to be markted and recieve various other games through 2019. Then you have the price drop off over those years which will continue to make it a good seller.

3DS can very easily match/exceed PSP lifetime.

After this year the 3DS will drop like a rock, I expect 3-4M at most next year, and then discontinued in 2019, except maybe Japan.

Also those PSP sales are horribly outdated me thinks, like 6 years outdated.

3DS dropping like a rock doesn't make any sense.

1. 3DS has a massive library. That alone drives continued interest as folks replace older versions or decide to get one for their kids.
  2. 3DS price has a lot of margin giving Nintendo plenty of end-of-life marketability. They just released the refined 2DS this year.
  3. 3DS YoY tracking looks very healthy still (500K in July!). http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2014&end_year=2017&console=3DS
2018 and 2019 will see lower sales YoY. However, its not going to drop to zero. 2016 saw 6.9MM sold. 2017 is on track be at least 6MM as well. That will put 2017 LTD at around 70MM.
2018 will focus on bundling, special pricing, and mostly 3rd party games... maybe another port similar to Metroid. Easy 5MM.
2019 will focus on end-of-life pricing and marketing. No new Nintendo games, just sprinkling of 3rd parties. Past Nintendo consoles have done so with simplier versions, bundles of top games, and very competitive pricing. This is actually why 2DS in the n3DS format was released this year. 2DS will be the only thing available at some point in 2019. Another 5MM.
2020 will be its official retirement and go out with a couple MM. Its entirely possible 3DS will outsell PSP. They will certianly be very close.
Also, the 81MM for PSP is accurate. I pulled that from wiki (source was Sony) and it matches what is in VGC. http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

I guess in the end the problem was another one. Like those games on other consoles not being as good to sell hardware.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

twintail said:
this reminds me of a guy who was adamant that he never wanted console experiences on his DS/ 3DS, and now has a switch and cant believe he can have console experiences on the go.

my impression is that there are enough nintendo fans who just flip flop a lot just because Nintendo decides to do something.

There's a lot of that people in the world. Even inside companies.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
twintail said:

Would you rather him hate the system outright than give it a close look? It's possible he was convinced otherwise once the system was unveiled. Is it wrong for people to change their minds?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Would you rather him hate the system outright than give it a close look? It's possible he was convinced otherwise once the system was unveiled. Is it wrong for people to change their minds?

No, I think its great that someone loves their hobby and is happy.

What Im saying is that ultimately ppl will find ways to justify changing their opinion on something just because who/ what they are a fan of decides to do something.

The OP is right... there was a time when a negative against 2 generations of Sony handhelds was that they attempted console experiences on the go.

Now that Nintendo does it... well.... good job Nintendo. This is what handheld gaming should be. Pat on the back and all that.

But as others have said, this happens with other fanbases too. if this guy I know is happy with his hobby then that is all that matters. Im merely posting an experience Ive had with this exact topic.  

Yeah, that is true. It exists in all fan bases. If people feel that way when it comes to some decisions their favorite company makes, more power to them I suppose.

I don't really recall seeing that opinion about Sony's portables all that often. The main one that sticks out me is the Extra Credits video on the Vita, and that's about it. I wouldn't agree with that, thinking on it now.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread