By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NBA 2K18 Switch vs. PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One S video comparison

GProgrammer said:
TorterraBoy said:
Amazed that playing this on a tablet anywhere can be compared with consoles 8x its size.
curl-6 said:

They look remarkably close considering we're comparing consoles to a handheld device.

NightDragon83 said:
Considering the Switch version is the only portable one with local multiplayer on the go, it looks the best to me :)

Seriously though, aside from better lighting and textures during closeups on character models, there's no major discernible difference between the Switch version and the other two.

You're comparing the DOCKED version version, the handheld version is going to look even worse than it does now.

Whats up with the DOCKED switch only managing 30fps, even last gens's ps3 and xbox 360 managed 60fps with NBA 2k

Most developers make that decision during the game's development and carry the decision for both handheld and docked mode, go for 60 fps and reduce graphical flair, or go for 30 fps and something closer to other devices. Giving the game the option to run at multiple sets of FPS is a luxury and something you only see every now and then due to the extra work it takes to implement. And with a game like NBA 2k where you will be facing against other people online, having one setup for everyone is usually the most desired thing.

Around the Network

Yeah its a bad port.

Barkley said:
TorterraBoy said:
Amazed that playing this on a tablet anywhere can be compared with consoles 8x its size.

But that's not what the video compares, it's the docked version.

30fps is the biggest deal here, the rest isn't worth noting by comparison.

Though the crowd is particularly terrifying on the Switch version, I don't like being watched by faceless monsters.

Docked or not, the Switch is a tablet.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Seems weird to me that they didn't include the base PS4 since that's what most of us have... the OG PS4 is my favorite barometer for the quality of a Switch port as one should expect it to come pretty close. The Pro comparison just isn't that useful as the gulf makes it hard to know if the Switch version is really utilizing the hardware efficiently.

I suppose the Xbox1 is pretty close to the PS4 though, so it's nice to see that the Switch is holding its own there with only minor sacrifices. Of course, this video didn't differentiate between docked and undocked...

Really, at this point I usually just wait for digitalfoundry to provide a comparison, and I think I'll do that again here heh

i have to admit as someone who's not even a basketball fan I actually want to get this for my switch. i'll wait for physical though.

Around the Network
eyezofnight said:
i have to admit as someone who's not even a basketball fan I actually want to get this for my switch. i'll wait for physical though.

Yeah I plan to wait for physical as well and imagine plenty of others are. Might hurt the initial sales.

Why PS4 Pro and not regular PS4?

It'd also be nice to see how Switch compares with the last gen console versions ...

fatslob-:O said:
It'd also be nice to see how Switch compares with the last gen console versions ...

Last-gen versions look terrible now, difference is immediately apparent when you look at the crowds. The Switch version feels like one those in-between releases that a lot of third parties promised on Wii U, such as Watch Dogs. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
fatslob-:O said:

Last-gen versions look terrible now, difference is immediately apparent when you look at the crowds. The Switch version feels like one those in-between releases that a lot of third parties promised on Wii U, such as Watch Dogs. 

Watchdogs was truly terrible on wii u and much inferior to the ps3 and 360 versions. It had horrible loading times, missing detail, lower frame rates and was a disc drive destroyer it just never stopped using the disc drive often with horrible seeking noises all the time.  It also felt worse to control to and didn't have the really decent soundtrack of ps3. It was more like a version between ps2/original xbox and ps3/360. There may have been an issue with the cpu peformance of the wii u but I guess the real issue for this game was the lack of hard drive in the wii u as I think both ps3 and 360 made heavy use of streaming data from hdd which the wii u had to do with the optical drive.

I'm not sure if there ever was any games on wii u that were truly superior to their 360 and PS3 versions? Mostly the opposite was true looking at digital foundry comparisons. Need for Speed Most Wanted despite having some improved textures and maintaining a slightly better frame rate felt inferior with the gamepad compared to the 360 and PS3 controllers and had less people in online plus loading times were longer. I have both ps3 and wii u versions and much prefer ps3. Just about everything else was better on 360/PS3 with few exceptions and most of those exceptions are on ps3 not 360 which was a console that took developers a while to master.