By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has there ever been a time where you lost interest in video games?

Most of the 7th gen was really, really boring for me, the PC scene was between periods of greatness and consoles were mostly useless, I've never bought as few games as I did during the 7th gen. I think I bought about 15 console games for the entirety of the 7th gen, and perhaps 30-40 PC titles. I already own about 15 games for 8th gen consoles, despite owning one of more for only about a year-and a half, so things have improved as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and I've bought way too many PC games, I think I've bought at least 20 this year alone, which is quite low for me.

Around the Network

2016-Present. With owning dogs, having my gf, working a job full time with a part time one, and doing bills, running errands, etc... I rarely have time for games I want to play x~x

BraLoD said:
No.
FFIX was a fucking masterpiece, indeed.

Nice to know you agree! It was when I heard this song that I really started to like the game.

BraLoD said:
HomokHarcos said:

Nice to know you agree! It was when I heard this song that I really started to like the game.

Can't see the video on my tablet, can you send me the link?

Take it as a tip, always post the link under/above the video so we filthy mobile casuals can watch them xP

I loved FFIX as soon as the intro music started, which was and still is a first for the series, as I never got sucked by a FF game until after at least a couple hours, that includes FFXII, my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNDIkFRsC4

I liked the beginning too, when the members are plotting to kidnap the princess. But the quick time event to impress the queen was a little annoying.

This year has been a pretty low point for me. For my tastes it has been a very ordinary year for gaming releases, have gone more than a week sometimes without playing a game and that is pretty unheard of for me in my 30+ years of gaming

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Yep, this is enlightenment. Thankfully I've always been one to think this way and never made list of backlogs or whatever - I'm more of a 60 hours per game guy than a 60 games per year guy, but I do notice people who focus on backlogs and stuff just don't enjoy games nearly as much. It's impossible to play everything out there, or even just every good thing, so it's best to just focus on what you really want to play. I can accept that sometimes I'll look at a game, think it looks really cool, and never play it because it only just didn't interest me enough.

pokoko said:

I used to be someone who would preorder games so I could talk about whatever was fresh off the press.  The Fallout games and Skyrim were some of the experiences that made me realize that I'd rather play something over and over that I really liked than play something just because it's the newest hot topic.  I don't even try to keep up anymore.  I only buy games that I really want and if something new isn't to my liking, I'll drop it in a heartbeat.  I think I have more fun this way.

Nice to see I'm not alone. I won't pretend everyone has to enjoy this hobby the same way (I'm sure backlog lists work for a lot of people)...but I just found playing games purely for completion just doesn't work for me. It's stressful and annoying and I feel like I'm not maximizing my enjoyment like I could. I think just sitting down and playing anything without worrying about what will come next is the way to go. Whether that means replaying an old RPG for the 7th time, going back into an open world game I've played to death, or just picking up some random PSP anime VN, gaming in the moment just seems a lot more fun overall.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
mZuzek said:

Yep, this is enlightenment. Thankfully I've always been one to think this way and never made list of backlogs or whatever - I'm more of a 60 hours per game guy than a 60 games per year guy, but I do notice people who focus on backlogs and stuff just don't enjoy games nearly as much. It's impossible to play everything out there, or even just every good thing, so it's best to just focus on what you really want to play. I can accept that sometimes I'll look at a game, think it looks really cool, and never play it because it only just didn't interest me enough.

pokoko said:

I used to be someone who would preorder games so I could talk about whatever was fresh off the press.  The Fallout games and Skyrim were some of the experiences that made me realize that I'd rather play something over and over that I really liked than play something just because it's the newest hot topic.  I don't even try to keep up anymore.  I only buy games that I really want and if something new isn't to my liking, I'll drop it in a heartbeat.  I think I have more fun this way.

Nice to see I'm not alone. I won't pretend everyone has to enjoy this hobby the same way (I'm sure backlog lists work for a lot of people)...but I just found playing games purely for completion just doesn't work for me. It's stressful and annoying and I feel like I'm not maximizing my enjoyment like I could. I think just sitting down and playing anything without worrying about what will come next is the way to go. Whether that means replaying an old RPG for the 7th time, going back into an open world game I've played to death, or just picking up some random PSP anime VN, gaming in the moment just seems a lot more fun overall.

Same with me. I've decided now that I won't play games just for completion. For example, I really wanted to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but unfortunately I felt like I had to play Portable Ops. But now I've realized, I don't need to play Portable Ops. Same for Grand Theft Auto, I can just start at III if I want to, or with Final Fantasy I can play the ones that interest me rather than all of them. I just had this weird trend where if I wanted to play a franchise, I felt like I had to play every game.

Nah. I am too young to have periods like that. The closest I was too not playing much was the 2012 - 2016 period since I really didn't like any of the 8th generation consoles. So I was playing mostly retro games at that time. That is when I played Final fantasy 1 for the first time!

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

spurgeonryan said:
Recently, I put my Wii u away and have not played it since april

You didn't answer the question. The OP didn't ask if you didn't play Wii U but whether you been playing at all. Unless you only own a Wii U then I guess you did answer the question

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Many many times. Right now for example, I am sick of videogames.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.