By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So GT Sport requires an online connection for a majority of the content, and has no real career mode

Tagged games:

Um, exactly why is this game taking years to make again? I mean, what in the actual fuck?

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/09/14/8-things-you-need-to-know-about-gran-turismo-sport-before-you-start-racing/#sf114033017

When even GAF is in uproar about it, you know something shitty is going on. Exactly how is a collection of trials and challenges (the stuff you used to do in career mode just to get a license to advance, lol) a "campaign mode"? Also, it appears you only earn money to buy cars now, not upgrade the one you have? How shitty if that is accurate.

But hey we get a new photomode called Shades. I think I'm finally done waiting on Polyphony Digital to put out something remotely close to GT2/3.

Around the Network

It seemed clear to me from the beginning that the focus of GT Sport was the, uhm, Sport aspect of it, and the focus on online and competetive races.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Um, exactly why is this game taking years to make again? I mean, what in the actual fuck?

Lol. I remember one time Crapgamer was like "Then you have SONY'S STUDIES like that GT Sport one that can't make a game after 8 years, then you have Forza which releases YEAR AFTER YEARR!"

Even though Crap Gamer sucks, I had a huge laugh at that haha.

Here's the excerpt:

"In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times.

This doesn’t mean you’ll need PlayStation Plus though. As with all PlayStation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for the online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline."

So, it sounds like it's only for online multiplayer? But I guess it could be sneaky wording by Sony.

VGPolyglot said:
Here's the excerpt:

"In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times.

This doesn’t mean you’ll need PlayStation Plus though. As with all PlayStation titles, PS Plus will only be needed for the online multiplayer, portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline."

So, it sounds like it's only for online multiplayer? But I guess it could be sneaky wording by Sony.

PS+ is required for online MP. Even the single player stuff, like progressing through the "campaign", requires an online connection.

Which hey, IDGAF about an online connection being required. But that is surprising. I'm more bummed about the lack of a real GT career mode.

Around the Network

Ubisoft, is that you?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

LudicrousSpeed said:
VGPolyglot said:
Here's the excerpt:

PS+ is required for online MP. Even the single player stuff, like progressing through the "campaign", requires an online connection.

Which hey, IDGAF about an online connection being required. But that is surprising. I'm more bummed about the lack of a real GT career mode.

I'd be screwed, since my PS4 frequently cannot connect to the internet.

Wait, so it requires the connection because they're worried about people cheating in the single player portion of the game. Am I reading this right? If we don't have PS+ we can't go online. So than the check is meaningless.

archer9234 said:

Wait, so it requires the connection because they're worried about people cheating in the single player portion of the game. Am I reading this right? If we don't have PS+ we can't go online. So than the check is meaningless.

To be honest idk why it requires an Internet connection. Then again I'm sure Ubisoft has lots of BS reasons for games like Steep to require an online connection, lol.

I can't even call it a single player portion. It's literally license challenges.

twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/09/14/8-things-you-need-to-know-about-gran-turismo-sport-before-you-start-racing/#sf114033017

When even GAF is in uproar about it, you know something shitty is going on. Exactly how is a collection of trials and challenges (the stuff you used to do in career mode just to get a license to advance, lol) a "campaign mode"? Also, it appears you only earn money to buy cars now, not upgrade the one you have? How shitty if that is accurate.

But hey we get a new photomode called Shades. I think I'm finally done waiting on Polyphony Digital to put out something remotely close to GT2/3.

LudicrousSpeed said:

I see someone hasn't bothered following the development of this game and is getting upset at the final stretch.

The game has always been an online focussed title with the idea of ensuring an online experience based on good driving rather than being reckless behaviour. Even the SP is designed to reflect this.

I kind of stopped following the game when what they first showed looked so bad. But I assumed it would look better and that the game was taking so long because it would be a complete GT title. This is the exact opposite. It's literally mind blowing that development has taken this long. And they closed Evo Studios?

Upset, no. Confused/bewildered, sure. This game should have been out years ago.

archer9234 said:

You can still go online without PS+. You don't need PS+ to sign in to PSN.