By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Octopath Traveler is how you do a HD 2D game

If they ever bring back FFVI or another classic, this is how it should be like

Around the Network

Well, duh. I've not been hyping this shit up since reveal for nothing. Still hope it comes to other platforms though.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It looks really good. But is it just me or is the lighting at times is a little awkward sometimes? There are boarder shadows and out of place sparkling effects on water and such. Does it look this way while playing?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Agree. It looks incredible.

IkePoR said:

It looks really good. But is it just me or is the lighting at times is a little awkward sometimes? There are boarder shadows and out of place sparkling effects on water and such. Does it look this way while playing?

Yeah the corners are too dark and the lighting can be extreme, but those are artistic choices that can be tweaked.

Around the Network

I wish it was coming to PC too.
But, either way, it looks near perfect.

Also, I will never be comfortable with marketing terms.

2D HD is just such a weird term. There's a bunch of 2D games that run in HD. I get that it's a marketing term but it's still weird.

The game is beautiful though

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
2D HD is just such a weird term. There's a bunch of 2D games that run in HD. I get that it's a marketing term but it's still weird.

The only games I consider HD 2D is Octopath Traveler, Cosmic Star Heroine and Sonic Mania.

I'm sure there are more, but I dont count all the indies with the "fat pixel" look that abuse the retro term.

Turkish said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The only games I consider HD 2D is Octopath Traveler, Cosmic Star Heroine and Sonic Mania.

I'm sure there are more, but I dont count all the indies with the "fat pixel" look that abuse the retro term.

Rayman Legends? 

I honestly feel 2D games done so realistically look weird. In 8 and 16-Bit games, the images and scenes we're seeing are so far removed from reality and it works because let's face it... 2D ISN'T realistic. We don't live in a 2D world. So when I see a realistic looking 2D world it actually makes said world LESS immersive for me.

I prefer 2D to be in 8 and 16-bit... or something flat and cartoon-like etc.