By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Octopath Traveler is how you do a HD 2D game

fatslob-:O said:
Nuvendil said:

That's possible. My point was the indication is at least a core part of Bravely's team is behind Octopath.  And it makes sense, there's definite artistic and gameplay parallels.  Even the Octopath Traveler title logo is reminiscent.  But the game is more serious vs the self aware and somewhat silly nature of Bravely.

Oh, I also figured out one more thing ... 

If you play the demo, you'll notice once the game boots up it'll show up three logos ... 

Square Enix (No surprises there), Acquire (What ?!) and UE4 ... 

I can only conclude that Square Enix Asano Team teamed up with Acquire and that they're using unreal engine 4 to develop the game so we can safely rule out Silicon Studio's involvement with this project ... 

Seems probable that that's the case.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

Seems probable that that's the case.

Definitely seems so since Acquire's official twitter account is promoting the game also ... 

By far one of the prettiest games I've seen from S-E in a very long while. Aside from FFXII, S-E has been letting me down design-wise ever since the ugly FFX. This one looks like the soul of 90s Square is still alive and well with it. It looks like something Square would have designed in 1996. Good as an exception, but S-E needs to do a lot more yet to convince me that they still have *it*.

Amazing art. Really surprised this uses Unreal, but I guess that was easier.

The story in the demo is really 'adult.' Was not expecting that from the trailers.

Nuvendil said:

The game was noted as coming from the Bravely Default team when it was announced in January.

Is there a source for this ? (I checked their official news release and there's no mention of Octopath Traveler.) 

Maybe some of the staff that was originally responsible for the Bravely Default series formed a new team at SE but that would mean that they are no longer developers for Silicon Studio ... 

They've been making mobile games in addition to handheld games for years. Their first major mobile game was Fantastica. That was released in 2012. The fact that they make mobile games doesn't sudden mean they cease doing other projects.

Hynad said:
outlawauron said:

This is what I came to say. Vanillaware is much better than Silicon Studio at doing this.

Vanillaware doesn't try to look retro though... 

So I don't see how the two compare.

I thought the general discussion was how to do 2D games with HD technology. I believe that Vanillaware does it better than anyone else. Although, I do think their games definitely have lots of retro inspiration.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

They've been making mobile games in addition to handheld games for years. Their first major mobile game was Fantastica. That was released in 2012. The fact that they make mobile games doesn't sudden mean they cease doing other projects.

Maybe so but time and time again we've seen that studio after studio exiting the development of high value production games just like Mistwalker did when their mostly barred from entering the AAA games industry ... 

outlawauron said:

Maybe so but time and time again we've seen that studio after studio exiting the development of high value production games just like Mistwalker did when their mostly barred from entering the AAA games industry ... 

Silicon Studio has never made an AAA game though. They make cheap games on handhelds. You won't find a Japanese handheld dev not making things for mobile devices.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

Silicon Studio has never made an AAA game though. They make cheap games on handhelds. You won't find a Japanese handheld dev not making things for mobile devices.

But at the same time you don't see them only sticking to mobile devices either and it doesn't have to be AAA games, it just has to have significant production values that a console gamer would expect ...