By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone else getting burned out on videogames?

I'm getting tired of playing them and even tired of talking about them, I noticed it today when just reading the forums gave me a headache and I was bored.  Anyone else here experiencing the same thing?  I actually enjoy the Off Topic Discussion part of the forum better than the rest, at least when videogame debates, arguments, etc are at a minimum.

This happened to me once before and I gave up gaming for several years.  Maybe it goes in cycles?

Anyways I'll give gaming a rest and spend more time doing other things to see what happens (My friends gave up asking me to go out to bars the last few years, maybe it's what I need), I would really like to get serious at the gym as well, and I want to travel so the money I spent on an HD tv, 360, etc, and videogames in general could go towards that.  There are so many things I want to do maybe now I'm just realizing there really isn't endless time to do them in.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to put my thoughts into words ;)

Around the Network

Hell yeah, was thinking about posting the same thing.

As in a previous thread (Gaming Overload) - just too many games. I hate thinking about what games I think I will *have to* buy... then more, and more come along.

I think I have enough games to last me for 12 months (maybe longer), without buying any new ones - and I don't  even own a PSP, PS3 or 360!!

(latest culprits are Pokemon DS, FF3 DS...).

I guess my problem is a little different - probably playing more games than normal is anything. But I'd be happy if NO new games came out for 6-12 months, and we could focus on something else for a change.

(maybe I just have too much disposable income for them, and the excitement isn't as strong as it used to be...).

And too many games are THE SAME. Almost all of them are good - but that doesn't make them exciting anymore.

Surely the industry can't go on at this rate - the bubble will have to burst soon. Maybe the "slow" sales of the PS3/360 are the first signs of this...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I know what your problem is legend. Your not taking things in moderation like you should be. If all do is talk about games and play games, of course your going to get burned out by them.  When your friends were asking you to go to the bar with them, hell yeah you should of went. The fact that they don't even bother asking you anymore is not a good sign.

I've been here a lot lately, but that's only because my summer break just started and I'm not used to all the extra time.  My gaming life is sloooow.  I see these people talking about all the games they get per year and I can't believe they have time for other stuff, and they don't. Here's my example.  On average I get 4 games...per year.  That's right only 4 give or take.  Yeah, yeah, you may miss out on something good, but more importantly you won't be missing out on your real life.

Better yet, buying games at such a snails pace is beneficial to your wallet.  Getting games after price cuts, and after glitches and other problems have been removed.  Getting a console later when their quality has improved.  I plan on getting a wii sometime so I can play Brawl and maybe try out Metroid. After that ????? And if this seems like too drastic a cut in what you have now, do it by season. 

The most gaming I do is in the winter.  Best time to play games in my opinion is when you can't go outside. The only time I think gaming should ever be your life is if you do it for money as a pro.  Look at all the stuff you said you were missing out on. Not going to the gym, not going to bars, and whatever dark secret you've been thinking about doing but were too busy playing doa volleyball.

And yes, I love the off-topic discussions here. Gaming arguments can get repetitive.

Tell me about it...my head is about ready to explode from all the flame wars I get to deal with.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Its hard to say. For me, my degrade in gaming interest and playing time happened during PS2. I'm not sure why: could be aging, could be the introduction of internet, I think its a combination of both. Time is definately not a factor; I have lots on my hand. And I don't really have another hobby outside of games. I love video games and practically grew up with them but I can't say 'good-bye' to them. I still read news and forums, enjoy discussing online and IRL. However I don't find myself excited or enjoying new releases. Sales number days are more exciting now lol... Its like: Instead of playing games, I'll just spend my time on VG forums or counter-strike(bad addiction). It feels like I'm just dragging it I think I need to find something else... Sorry about the negativity, I really do like video games and VGcharts!

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Around the Network

that's why I like the off topic forum. I'm tired of all the "SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING WII. SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING SALES."threads. All the threads talk about the same thing over and over again.

The only burning... is my wallet...

*COUGH COUGH* JADED *sneez*

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

I don't actually play much, because I too am a bit bored in modern games. I'm more interested in the evolution of gaming industry and games, which is why I hang around here. Games are so big and hazardous business these days that there are hardly any surprises in the form of artistic freedom. I've played recently Starcraft: Brood Wars and I doubt whether there have been any big advances in the RTS after that.

Couple if years ago I was purchasing games quite often, but then I slowed down pace and started to pay attention to quality more. Resident Evil 4 was great because of it's mood (partly dependant on the 2nd person perspective) and boss-fights. Eternal Darkness was positive surprise because of its insanity effects. Besides them, I haven't seen games worth purchasing lately. I'm probably going to buy Wii after a price drop if there's more decent games.

Have you seen the repetitive threads I have been unconsciencly making? Yeah, I get pretty bored of it after a while, but sometimes there's just nothing better to do. My new job doesn't start until tommorow.