By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is there no such thing as luxury gaming?

Yeah, one thing I definitely want to bring up to is that for car manufacturers, their profit comes from the sale of the car, whereas for console manufacturers, they make a loss/slim profit and use software/accessories sales in order to go in the black. So, what that means is that they either have to sell a lot of games, or sell it at high prices. I just don't see a market for that.

Around the Network
TK-Karma said:
Pemalite said:

Which kinda turns it into a "Luxury" item, you know... What this entire thread is about? ;)

I'm not sure what kind of fluff you could add to make it cost over $1 million ... my imagination on how to add so much cost fails me. Maybe build a house to hold it in? xD

Diamond studded case itself woudl cost over a million.

Have you ever seen at those victoria secret shows the diamon bras that are over a million. Fairly certain that bra is insanely uncomfortable. But if price and showing off ones status makes it a luxary item, then that woudl be one.

If having a case covered in diamonds is what you want then go ahead.

But disregarding 'fluff' a pc can cost a lot without it. Get a cool/fancy looking case and you could be spending 500+ on that alone. Put in top of the line components and a couple grand or more. Then start adding water cooling, LED lights to accecuate your case, ect. Multiple monitors, 8k monitors, wide screen monitors, VR headsets, ect. None of that is any of the outrageous diamonds, but you could still be paying 10x+ the price of a console. Hell I can buy a keyboard for roughly the price of a console.

If that isn't luxury, i don't know what is.

People bring up these insane cars like some proof of what luxary is. Beyond looks, the cars aren't any better than a volkswagon. Sure it may accellerate faster (faster loading times), drive quiet (no fan noise), look sleek (cool case), drive 200 mph (insane specs, though in both cases underutilized) Car can't drive faster than speed limit and PC can't play games that don't exist. Ect.

They are the same.

PC gaming is if you want Luxury.

10,000 dollar monitors and 10,000 dollar pc's my friend! You can hit that mark easily!

irstupid said:
TK-Karma said:

I'm not sure what kind of fluff you could add to make it cost over $1 million ... my imagination on how to add so much cost fails me. Maybe build a house to hold it in? xD

Have you ever seen at those victoria secret shows the diamon bras that are over a million. Fairly certain that bra is insanely uncomfortable. But if price and showing off ones status makes it a luxary item, then that woudl be one.

But disregarding 'fluff' a pc can cost a lot without it. Get a cool/fancy looking case and you could be spending 500+ on that alone. Put in top of the line components and a couple grand or more. Then start adding water cooling, LED lights to accecuate your case, ect. Multiple monitors, 8k monitors, wide screen monitors, VR headsets, ect. None of that is any of the outrageous diamonds, but you could still be paying 10x+ the price of a console. Hell I can buy a keyboard for roughly the price of a console.

People bring up these insane cars like some proof of what luxary is. Beyond looks, the cars aren't any better than a volkswagon. Sure it may accellerate faster (faster loading times), drive quiet (no fan noise), look sleek (cool case), drive 200 mph (insane specs, though in both cases underutilized) Car can't drive faster than speed limit and PC can't play games that don't exist. Ect.

They are the same.

Yeah I suppose those types of strategies to make a PC cost excessive amounts make sense. To me though, I find that way of looking at it as "cheating" lol, since the money you're spending doesn't impact performance at all. From a pure performance perspective, when paying for a PC, surely it would be a challenge to get to that price point. I also mean using relatively commodity PC components either, not looking to build an HPC, since the goal here is specifically luxury "gaming".

I guess if say Sony came out with a console that supported 120FPS 4k gaming, with a VR helmet. Have hardware backwards compatibility to all PS consoles. Mouse/KB support, all controllers, memory cards. Than a SSD of like 2TB. It could reach those prices. Titled: Playstation Universe

Around the Network
TK-Karma said:
irstupid said:

They are the same.

Yeah I suppose those types of strategies to make a PC cost excessive amounts make sense. To me though, I find that way of looking at it as "cheating" lol, since the money you're spending doesn't impact performance at all. From a pure performance perspective, when paying for a PC, surely it would be a challenge to get to that price point. I also mean using relatively commodity PC components either, not looking to build an HPC, since the goal here is specifically luxury "gaming".

HPC?

But to me a luxury computer would be a case that i think looks cool.

Components that are top of the line, dual top of the line graphics cards, max ram, super fast and large SSD's, ect

Then I want to take care of my Luxury toy. High end water cooling, sufficient power suppy and surge protector.

Now the Accessories. Big ass curved widescreen 8k monitor. Decked out gaming keyboard and mouse. Amazing sounding headphone and mic. Webcam, ect.

And so on. If I had unlimited money, I would deck this thing out. But i woudl not buy unnecessary stuff. If I didn't use a webcam, i woudl not buy one. I wouldn't put diamonds on the case cause that would be a pointless expense. Well depends on if design on case woudl look awesome with a diamon placed somewhere or not. But no reason to just plaster diamonds everywhere for the sake of diamonds, or have a solid gold case for sake of it being gold, ect.

The PC woudl be able to do everything I wanted and inasnely fast. Sure it would outclass many games and not improve their performance over much lesser computers, beyond loading times. But other programs and software woudl run faster, i could run more background tasks or programs at same time. Boot up time would be faster, ect. I woudl definately be getting a performance boost.

Will it cost a million dollars? Heck no. Could very well be like 50k though. But do you honestly believe a car costs a million dollars? Does a million dollar car really outperform lesser cars that much? Hell no, its for the name brand, some shiny aesthetic. Which boils down to in the case of PC's. How much are you will to spend on accessories. The computer case, projector/monitors, sound systems, ect. that could bump it up or down. Hell I saw a 4k native projector online yesterday for like 25k(SONY). I'm sure there are more expensive ones, and who knows what a 8k one is if they are available. So just the projector alone could make your PC 25k+ more expensive. And that is nothing about diamonds or bling. It's purely a performance tech item. The best of the best visual.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/most-expensive-gaming-computer/

Here's a $30,000 PC if that counts? And im sure there's some crazy expensive monitors as well to go with this.

vivster said:
Because console makers don't want you to have premium experiences. So that only leaves the option to stay with the shit PC has to offer where money spending opportunities are limitless.

List of times "Premium Experiences" were rejected by the consumer due to prohibitively high price points:

NEO GEO:                      $649.99 (equivalent to $1,162 today) = 980,000 lifetime sales
3DO:                               $699      (equivalent to $1,180 today) = 2 million lifetime sales (low enough that it's company exited the hardware market)
Pioneer Laser Active:  $970      (equivalent to $1,635 today) = 10,000 lifetime sales

palou said:

You can buy cars for 15 000$ or 150 000$, the latter offering all the latest tech and conveniences available.

Why doesn't a 5000$, 10 000$ console exist?

It's the entertainement industry - rich people will easily spend those amounts to get the absolute best experience for their passions - be it travelling 1st class, michelin star dining, aforementionned cars or tickets for prestigious events. Why isn't something similar offered to leach off rich gamers? Yes, you can spend indefinite amounts on high-end gaming pcs if you really want to, but that's a product clearly aimed more at the extremely dedicated, not the extremely rich, seeing as they lack the sophistications and convenience that would usually be associated with a luxury product.

They do, They are called PCs

potato_hamster said:

Still advocating this nonsense, huh?

Let me ask you this: 1 in 5 PS4s sold are PS4 Pros That's far more than you could ever expect a $1500 PS4 to sell for, obviously. The PS4 Pro is rarely being supported by third-party developers beyond the bare minimum required of them, because it doesn't actually scale the way you pretend it does. Very few are putting in any effort to take advantage of the extra power in any meaningful way. Why in the fuck would you expect developers to put in more of an effort into a PS4 Money to Burn Edition?

They wouldn't. You keep living in lala Land and refusing to listen to reason, despite being informed repeatedly how nonsensical this all is.

P.S. Citation needed that Ken kutagari wanted to make Playstation hardware scalable.

I would not expect a $1,500 PS4 to sell amazing. Nor do I expect a $3,000 Wlakman or a $10,000 75" Z9D. That does not mean they shouldn't exsist, and it definitly doesn't mean they can't make a lot of money from them. As for development, they don't encode audio or video to take special advantage of these devices, I don't expect them to do anything, but let the extra horsepower do it's thing in games. I am perfectly fine with $1,500 getting me the exact same thing, only with higher frame rate and resolution. That is what a luxary expereince is in computing.

Of course it is nonsensical. All luxary things are nonsensical. 

Below are just a couple of examples of where Ken wanted to take PlayStation, Sony, and Home electronics in the future. There are countless other sources with interviews, and quotes from him talking about the subject of scaling PlayStation Hardware, and having every device in the house connected.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-s--micro-cell--to-power-mobile-devices

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonys-post-ps3-vision-for-the-cell/1100-6152738/

https://www.engadget.com/2006/12/20/ken-kutaragi-sez-i-promise-an-av-centric-ps3/

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL