By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will ps3 and Vita stop getting ps plus games?

Kerotan said:
Will there be enough ps3 or vita games to last until 2019? That could be up to 50 ps3 games between now and then. If they run out of good titles and are just giving away shovelware they may aswell just stop.

Sony will stop when it is no longer profitable to keep it going for those platforms. If people want to pay the yearly subscription fee for shovelware, who are you to want to stop them? It would be more assholish of Sony to end PS+ service for them on the opionion of "The only games we have left for it suck" than to stop because it  no longer makes financial sense.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
dukerx2 said:

The money developers get paid for having their games on plus, that money. If they are not spending the money on Ps3 and Vita games they can spend it elsewhere. Thats my point. 

I see your point. But my question is, why do you think Sony has this tiny, miniscule PS+ budget that only has room in the mini-fridge for so many PS+ titles, and eliminating PS3 and Vita would somehow mean more room in the mini-fridge for PS4? If it wasn't beneficial to Sony, why would Sony still be supporting those platforms four years into PS4, and if it wasn't beneficial to publishers of games on PS+, why would they want their PS3 and Vita games on PS+?

That's like saying Steam should stop supporting Mac and Linux because it would somehow mean more games for PC. I highly doubt it's support of those OSes has no bearing on the number of games released for PC.

It's like saying the Humble Bundle people need to stop doing PC and Mac software bundles and focus only on Steam game bundles because that would mean more money for them, and the indies and publishers that put their games into Humble Bundle don't profit in some way from doing so. Actually, everyone seems to benefit from these. I've read interviews saying as much.

Afraid of alienating PS3 and Vita owners, I think is a big part of it. Also you take away the free games from PS3 what reason does PS3 owners have to keep plus. They would likly lose money there. It be nice to see the the details finacially with plus. For example, do they pay developers a set amount per download or is it a lump sum up front. I just feel whatever money is spent on PS3 and Vita in general could be reduced a lot. But I agree with you Its for the most part good for the devs to go with plus.

dukerx2 said:
burninmylight said:

I see your point. But my question is, why do you think Sony has this tiny, miniscule PS+ budget that only has room in the mini-fridge for so many PS+ titles, and eliminating PS3 and Vita would somehow mean more room in the mini-fridge for PS4? If it wasn't beneficial to Sony, why would Sony still be supporting those platforms four years into PS4, and if it wasn't beneficial to publishers of games on PS+, why would they want their PS3 and Vita games on PS+?

That's like saying Steam should stop supporting Mac and Linux because it would somehow mean more games for PC. I highly doubt it's support of those OSes has no bearing on the number of games released for PC.

It's like saying the Humble Bundle people need to stop doing PC and Mac software bundles and focus only on Steam game bundles because that would mean more money for them, and the indies and publishers that put their games into Humble Bundle don't profit in some way from doing so. Actually, everyone seems to benefit from these. I've read interviews saying as much.

Afraid of alienating PS3 and Vita owners, I think is a big part of it. Also you take away the free games from PS3 what reason does PS3 owners have to keep plus. They would likly lose money there. It be nice to see the the details finacially with plus. For example, do they pay developers a set amount per download or is it a lump sum up front. I just feel whatever money is spent on PS3 and Vita in general could be reduced a lot. But I agree with you Its for the most part good for the devs to go with plus.

I'd like to know full details of the agreement between Sony and pubs with games on the service too, but we definitely don't need numbers to know that it's lucrative for all parties involved. Heck, even Nintendo is about to get in on the subscriber act not too long from now.

THere are still people playing on those system, as long as its enough they will want those people to keep their subcription

Twitter @CyberMalistix

burninmylight said:
Kerotan said:
Will there be enough ps3 or vita games to last until 2019? That could be up to 50 ps3 games between now and then. If they run out of good titles and are just giving away shovelware they may aswell just stop.

Sony will stop when it is no longer profitable to keep it going for those platforms. If people want to pay the yearly subscription fee for shovelware, who are you to want to stop them? It would be more assholish of Sony to end PS+ service for them on the opionion of "The only games we have left for it suck" than to stop because it  no longer makes financial sense.

I never said I wanted them to stop.  Just curious as to when 

Around the Network

Probably not too soon. I mean it costs them next to nothing. In the worst case they can just use their own games and pay nothing to any other publisher. But especially old games are cheap to have. I used to work at a games magazine where we published a PC game along with the mag every month. The company paid for the right to distribute older AAA games rarely more than 10,000 €, most of the time far far less. That's just peanuts to Sony. So don't worry, money is not an issue here.

Maybe when the PS5 has been 1-2 years on the market. So probably sometime around 2022. Don't know about the Vita, but they will probably drag it along for quite a while, until they have some kind of new mobile platform.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Kerotan said:
burninmylight said:

I never said I wanted them to stop.  Just curious as to when 

My bad, cousin.

burninmylight said:
Zoombael said:

You got hard numbers to back it up?

....You need me to provide stats to prove to you that hosting ROMs on a server and giving indies/pubs a cut of discounted games for a $50 USD/year subscription service brings in more revenue than paying hundreds of millions of dollars for AAA game development?

OK, then. My five minutes of research shows that Sony is normally pretty stingy with Playstation Plus details about subscribers and revenue, but I found these:

PSN makes more money than all of Nintendo in fiscal year 2016, generating 529.1 billion yen:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-28-sonys-psn-is-making-more-money-than-all-of-nintendo

Of course, that includes actual games sold on PSN, not just PS+ though.

I also found an article stating PS+ and XBL generated around $3 billion USD (not yen) in revenue in 2016:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/01/16/superdata-playstation-plus-xbox-live-generated-around-3-billion-2016/

I challenge you to find me a Sony AAA game that has come close to generating that kind of revenue. A PS+ subscriber is essentially someone who purchases at least one new game per year.

"Back in June 2016, Sony revealed that there were nearly 21 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, as of April 2016."
So to match that kind of earnings, even if we don't factor in the actual cost of AAA game development, a game whose Day 1 price is equivalent to a PS+ subscription and released in April of last year would need to sell 21 million copies to match PS+ revenue. Show me the Sony game that can do this, and is so evergreen that it can keep matching or growing its numbers every year.

Not hard enough. Revenue numbers, no expenditures? And what about that particular subject, topic of this thread. PS3 and Vita. Those are all three platforms combined.

Hunting Season is done...