By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Officer in Georgia says to woman during traffic stop: "We only kill black people"

Jumpin said:
If you belong to an organization that is world famous for shooting unarmed black people, like the US police force, you don't get to joke about it.

That's like a Taliban joking about only stoning women to death, a skinhead joking that they only kill Jews, or a Tutsi joking that they only kill Hutus.

I haven't really read any of the posts in this thread and I do agree with you. I just hate that then entire profession of law enforcement are judged because of the actions of a few. An officer in LA can do some vile act and and officer in Carolina will be lumped in right there with them.

A soldier can kill civilians and everybody won't say "Everyone in the military is bad". A McDonald's employee can spot in your food and people won't hate all McDonald's employees. It just doesn't seem consistent.

Around the Network

Locker room talk that seems out of place. Things you say that don't mean shit but are ever so relevant. In this case it can be spun out of context which the media and a lot of moral white knights will inevitably do.

Obviously sarcasm but whatever people paint with their creative minds is anyone's guess.

I can see the guy getting fired if some big wig jumps in to leverage from the situation.

d21lewis said:
Jumpin said:
If you belong to an organization that is world famous for shooting unarmed black people, like the US police force, you don't get to joke about it.

That's like a Taliban joking about only stoning women to death, a skinhead joking that they only kill Jews, or a Tutsi joking that they only kill Hutus.

I haven't really read any of the posts in this thread and I do agree with you. I just hate that then entire profession of law enforcement are judged because of the actions of a few. An officer in LA can do some vile act and and officer in Carolina will be lumped in right there with them.

A soldier can kill civilians and everybody won't say "Everyone in the military is bad". A McDonald's employee can spot in your food and people won't hate all McDonald's employees. It just doesn't seem consistent.

The big difference is that the soldier and McDonald's employee don't get away with it like the aforementioned groups. If they behave in that manner, they are made an example of through punishment - often very severe.

Police, Taliban, and Hutus (I apologize for getting that backwards in my last post!) all get away with it. Skinheads for standing in solidarity with antisemitism, different, but achieves the same sort of effect.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
d21lewis said:

The big difference is that the soldier and McDonald's employee don't get away with it like the aforementioned groups. If they behave in that manner, they are made an example of through punishment - often very severe.

Police, Taliban, and Hutus (I apologize for getting that backwards in my last post!) all get away with it. Skinheads for standing in solidarity with antisemitism, different, but achieves the same sort of effect.

I understand. The bad ones have been getting away. But what about the good ones? Should they be guilty by association?

Jumpin said:

I guess I object to Hutus being included, because while the former are groups/occupations/organisations that you can join, Hutus are a race that are born with that designation. Yes, there are Hutus that have been involved in genocide, but as I said before, people don't get to choose themselves whether or not they are Hutu.

Around the Network

If you are not a Black person, then you may not understand how deep and disturbing this is. Just as much as White Supremacist Nazis saying that they want to murder every Jew. If you are not of the ethnicity it may not bother you.

Saying something like this jokingly or not, shows a side of him that he may keep tucked away from everyone else, but as we can hear, its in him.

Aeolus451 said:
Tulipanzo said:

I'm suggesting that if a cop is aware of the news reporting and public mood on police brutality he ought to have the common sense not to joke about it.
Not that I would expect what seems to be a stereotypical BLM-hating, police brutality denying ignorant commenter to understand this.
I guess the problem, once again, is the evil media reporting on what people have said and done

He was being sarcastic in a hyperbolic way to a person overreacting to traffic stop. Of course, it's the end of the world. 

I can't believe you to be so fantastically thick as to not understand why a joke whose punchline is "killing black people" might be in poor taste.

On the plus side, I got "doesn't understand how sarcasm works" on the right wing bingo

Tulipanzo said:
Aeolus451 said:

He was being sarcastic in a hyperbolic way to a person overreacting to traffic stop. Of course, it's the end of the world. 

I can't believe you to be so fantastically thick as to not understand why a joke whose punchline is "killing black people" might be in poor taste.

On the plus side, I got "doesn't understand how sarcasm works" on the right wing bingo

There's a difference in saying something in sarcasm to make a point and telling a joke to be humorous. It's not in poor taste because cops aren't out to kill black people. That's just a myth used for politics.

The title of this video is very misleading. The controversy here is whether the police officer's joke was appropriate but the title makes it sound as though the cop was saying it seriously. Don't you realize that 90% of people only read headlines without reading the underlying article and the really gullible ones will actually draw conclusions from it? Can't you see that the US is teetering on the edge of a race war right now? Tensions are already way too high in the United States and I don't care if you're a CNN reporter or a poster on VGChartz, we all have a responsibility to be as accurate and truthful as possible right now especially when reporting politically heated news like this.

In my personal opinion, even if this officer was a white supremacist (which is not proven) I would not give his narrative attention like this. You don't help wounds heal by picking at them, and the US has a lot of wounds right now. What America needs is to see more pictures of black, hispanic and white people rescuing each other from the flooding. A misleading article title like this can send some retard on a shooting rampage and I don't need to remind people that there are a lot of innocent cops out there getting killed right now.  

That being said, the joke was obviously in bad taste and I disapprove of it for the exact same reason as I disagree with the title of this thread.

Illusion said:

The title of this video is very misleading. The controversy here is whether the police officer's joke was appropriate but the title makes it sound as though the cop was saying it seriously. Don't you realize that 90% of people only read headlines without reading the underlying article and the really gullible ones will actually draw conclusions from it? Can't you see that the US is teetering on the edge of a race war right now? Tensions are already way too high in the United States and I don't care if you're a CNN reporter or a poster on VGChartz, we all have a responsibility to be as accurate and truthful as possible right now especially when reporting politically heated news like this.

My title is truthful, he says that exact quote. Also, VGC has a chracter limit for titles when making threads, I can't have a long, drawn-out explanation in my title.