By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese losing interest in Switch due to shortage.

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
I never knew people would get so emotional over this issue.

No, I'm not talking about Japanese gamers, I'm talking about this thread.

Anyway, it has to be a concern for Nintendo. Many of these people are just trying to communicate their dissatisfaction to Nintendo and will return as customers in the future. Others might not. One of the cardinal rules of business is that some lost sales won't come back.

Exactly. And I think Nintendo is stupid. I see that it is very difficult to predict demand, but Nintendo is overly bad in that reagrd. Way too much stock with WiiU, way too less with Wii and Switch. And yes, the lost customers may or may not be coming back. The longer the bad stock-situation is persisting, the more will fall into the second category.

You aren't wrong, Nintendo is often overly conservative in their hardware numbers and what they produce. We've seen it with the N64. Wii,  Amiibo, the Pokemon Go  device they made, the Classic edition devices and other things. This seems to be once again a similar situation but given time, they should be able to match demand.

The bigger issue is doing it in a manner where everyone has a fair and just shot to get the device, I think that frustrates people more. After all if you wait in line for an hour, you are hoping to get the device, not a ticket for a lottery so someone that came 40 minutes later can get it.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Superman4 said:

Clearly they do. The PS4 is able to sell twice to 3 times as many units per week, Nintendo isnt able to produce a 3rd of what Sony can on a regular basis? I dont see PS4 units being sold out everywhere which means they are producing even more than what they are selling. 

They are either creating the shortage on purpose or thought the console would flop and only invested enough to make a small ROI. They should be able to crank out 2-300K units per week by now.

You are serious!? Why they would make Nintendo artificially creates this shortages of their main product, where they dont sell only console but games for that console, more consoles sold means more games sold. Remember, Switch has shortages 6 months after launch and son holiday season is coming. Comparison with PS4 is not good comparison, PS4 is almost 4 years in market while Switch, is only 6 months, and consoles usually have stock problems at launch and in 1st year, not few years after launch. Its much harder to increase production than maintain current scale production.

Its neither, offcourse they never thouth that Switch will flop (lol, any company don't think their product will flop, in that case they wouldnt release product on first place), but after Wii U flop where they overproduced Wii U units and later they couldnt have price cut because of that, they become more cautious with things like that and Switch is selling better than they expected (remember Switch had better start of sales than Wii despite its released outside holiday season), but they have hard time increasing production, we had reports that on market there is shortage of memory parts Nintendo is using for Switch and that Nintendo is basically battling with Apple for some parts.

In any case, Nintendo said they will further increase production from fall and it seems they shipped more units in late July and August compared to May and June.

The only reason I am comparing it to PS4 is because the PS4 is still selling cazy numbers.  They are obviously able to build 2-300+ units a week because that is what they are selling.  It just seems odd that with a shortage they are only selling 1-200k units a weeks. Maybe they should ask Microsoft to help them with production, they dont seem to be selling much so maybe they have some extra capacity Nintendo can use ;)

Mnementh said:
Superman4 said:

Clearly they do. The PS4 is able to sell twice to 3 times as many units per week, Nintendo isnt able to produce a 3rd of what Sony can on a regular basis? I dont see PS4 units being sold out everywhere which means they are producing even more than what they are selling. 

They are either creating the shortage on purpose or thought the console would flop and only invested enough to make a small ROI. They should be able to crank out 2-300K units per week by now.

What? PS is around 25K with peaks around software releases, while Switch sells depending on stock situation even 100K or more. Even in the low times Nintendo delivered 25K, so neck on neck with PS4. But they were able to deliver a lot more for game releases and now continually. So how do you come up with 2-3 times as much PS4?

Globally, not single market

Lauster said:
gabzjmm23 said:
@japanese import from Europe. :)

I think it would be a little expensive, euro is strong currently.

A Nintendo Switch in France : 275€ duty-free = 35,971.37 Yen instead of 29,980 Yen, and without shipping price, VAT and import taxes (if any, I don't know local taxes there).

atleast they can get a Switch. My Switch was a UK Import.  :)

One of the greatest marketing schemes of all time. Create a notion that the system has massive shortages, which in turn creates a sense that the system is a MUST have system. That in turn creates mass appeal when the system finally is available in stores....

Brilliant.

Around the Network
Superman4 said:
Miyamotoo said:

You are serious!? Why they would make Nintendo artificially creates this shortages of their main product, where they dont sell only console but games for that console, more consoles sold means more games sold. Remember, Switch has shortages 6 months after launch and son holiday season is coming. Comparison with PS4 is not good comparison, PS4 is almost 4 years in market while Switch, is only 6 months, and consoles usually have stock problems at launch and in 1st year, not few years after launch. Its much harder to increase production than maintain current scale production.

Its neither, offcourse they never thouth that Switch will flop (lol, any company don't think their product will flop, in that case they wouldnt release product on first place), but after Wii U flop where they overproduced Wii U units and later they couldnt have price cut because of that, they become more cautious with things like that and Switch is selling better than they expected (remember Switch had better start of sales than Wii despite its released outside holiday season), but they have hard time increasing production, we had reports that on market there is shortage of memory parts Nintendo is using for Switch and that Nintendo is basically battling with Apple for some parts.

In any case, Nintendo said they will further increase production from fall and it seems they shipped more units in late July and August compared to May and June.

The only reason I am comparing it to PS4 is because the PS4 is still selling cazy numbers.  They are obviously able to build 2-300+ units a week because that is what they are selling.  It just seems odd that with a shortage they are only selling 1-200k units a weeks. Maybe they should ask Microsoft to help them with production, they dont seem to be selling much so maybe they have some extra capacity Nintendo can use ;)

I was very clear, but here you again, Comparison with PS4 is not good comparison, PS4 is almost 4 years in market while Switch, is only 6 months, and consoles usually have stock problems at launch and in 1st year, not few years after launch. Its much harder to increase production than maintain current scale production. Wii also had crazy number after 3-4 year on market, despite had shortages in 1st year.

I just picked up a switch for my kids for Christmas. 3 sitting on the shelf first time I looked to pick one up. Really scored, didn't want to wait till the Christmas rush.

Not in japan though. Was in ottawa canada.

It's one of those things where you say you won't get it, but more often than not. Once it appears in a store as available, they will end up getting it. Unless they are saying it as gamers that just don't like Nintendo products trying to bring negativity.

Many are upset with shortages (see the NES classic), but if you told that person who said they weren't going to get it that it was available for order with no extra "taxes" tacked on the cost. They will get it right then and there no questions asked, at least usually.

I went to a supermarket in Western Europe and paid a little more attention to the games section, which I never do.
There was this big part with 2 ps4 running games, all the ps4 games and a huge pile of ps4 consoles, then in the back there were all the toys, generic branded accessories, figurines, wiiu games. In the middle there was a small shelf with switch accessories and some switches hidden in the lower corner of the shelf (like 5 or so).

I'm not surprised they are not selling them to the point of creating lack of products in Europe. The switch handhelds are hidden in the toddlers level of an insignificant shelf.

If Japan is running dry like you guys are suggesting, there is an insane mismanagement of the demands. Their global demand and planning sucks monkey balls.

j.thomaz said:
I went to a supermarket in Western Europe and paid a little more attention to the games section, which I never do.
There was this big part with 2 ps4 running games, all the ps4 games and a huge pile of ps4 consoles, then in the back there were all the toys, generic branded accessories, figurines, wiiu games. In the middle there was a small shelf with switch accessories and some switches hidden in the lower corner of the shelf (like 5 or so).

I'm not surprised they are not selling them to the point of creating lack of products in Europe. The switch handhelds are hidden in the toddlers level of an insignificant shelf.

If Japan is running dry like you guys are suggesting, there is an insane mismanagement of the demands. Their global demand and planning sucks monkey balls.

If I knew how to post a picture using my iPhone I would.