By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE ranks the top 100 greatest games (2017 edition)

BOTW #1.......

lol... anyone can make a list i guess xD

Around the Network
JakDaSnack said:
VGPolyglot said:

You can define it by processing power, sales, etc. You can't objectively define which is better, since it's based on personal enjoyment.

personal enjoyment is just one way to define "better".  But personal enjoyment isn't a great way to judge anything, because personal enjoyment depends on numerous factors that are irrelevent to said thing (i.e. did you have a good night sleep, were you hungry, were you in an argument with a random person on vgchartz etc.  These can effect your emotions which can effect enjoyment). 

That's the only way we can we can go by lists like these though, unless we simply do the greatest games of all time by the highest selling games or the games with the highest Metascores.

VGPolyglot said:
JakDaSnack said:

personal enjoyment is just one way to define "better".  But personal enjoyment isn't a great way to judge anything, because personal enjoyment depends on numerous factors that are irrelevent to said thing (i.e. did you have a good night sleep, were you hungry, were you in an argument with a random person on vgchartz etc.  These can effect your emotions which can effect enjoyment). 

That's the only way we can we can go by lists like these though, unless we simply do the greatest games of all time by the highest selling games or the games with the highest Metascores.

To give you an example, I prefer uncharted 2 over 3/4.  I enjoyed the story more, I feel like the pacing was much better in 2.  I feel like the "improvements" in 3/4 took away from the experience rather than improve it.  I could go on, but this is one way to judge a game which is by its contents.  If you got a panel of like 20 members, you could go through various games and judge them all by the contents.  Not by their influence, or personal experience, but by objectively looking at the contents of games and determining which one is superior.

Something...Something...Games...Something

JakDaSnack said:
VGPolyglot said:

To give you an example, I prefer uncharted 2 over 3/4.  I enjoyed the story more, I feel like the pacing was much better in 2.  I feel like the "improvements" in 3/4 took away from the experience rather than improve it.  I could go on, but this is one way to judge a game which is by its contents.  If you got a panel of like 20 members, you could go through various games and judge them all by the contents.  Not by their influence, or personal experience, but by objectively looking at the contents of games and determining which one is superior.

So, that is it considered to be objectivity by consensus/appealing to authority then? A game is superior because those in the industry deem is superior? Because unless they base it on performance measures like number of polygons, resolution or framerate, how else could that be framed?

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I agree with #1 so I guess that's something. 

(..)

What's this? Is there going to be an upset at the end of this year?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
JakDaSnack said:

So, that is it considered to be objectivity by consensus/appealing to authority then? A game is superior because those in the industry deem is superior? Because unless they base it on performance measures like number of polygons, resolution or framerate, how else could that be framed?

It's one way to determine a list, yes.  Resolution or polygon count gets tricky, especially when you get into mods.  Reviews can be tricky as well, because not every game has been reviewed the same way.  So ultimately finding a panel of members that you trust, with a basic set of rules for judging games is probably the best way to go.  If you want to get really accurate, then focus on just one genre at a time.

Something...Something...Games...Something

JakDaSnack said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's one way to determine a list, yes.  Resolution or polygon count gets tricky, especially when you get into mods.  Reviews can be tricky as well, because not every game has been reviewed the same way.  So ultimately finding a panel of members that you trust, with a basic set of rules for judging games is probably the best way to go.  If you want to get really accurate, then focus on just one genre at a time.

So, if it's based on trust, then wouldn't that be acknowledging its subjectivity? You can determine the greatest games based on who you decide to listen to.

setsunatenshi said:
BOTW #1.......

lol... anyone can make a list i guess xD

Obviously you can't.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

While certain genres have clearly improved mechanically (hence why Goldenye isn't considered the greatest FPS of all time now), others haven't, or have merely changed rather than improved. There is no question that Final Fantasy and Sonic the Hedgehog were at their best in the 1990s. Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World are just as masterful now as they were 25 years ago. Chrono Trigger is still a masterpiece.

Maybe you can argue that Tropical Freeze is a better game than the first 2 DCK games on the SNES, but that isn't set in stone the way Half Life 2 being better than Wolfenstein 3D is.

Sometimes it's more impressive seeing how developers got around hardware limitations than seeing what they did with their fancy new toys, like how CGI in movies is often less impressive than older practical effects like miniatures.

This lists are always fun