By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA on why FIFA 18 isn’t using Frostbite on Switch, will be better than last-gen version

EA on why FIFA 18 isn’t using Frostbite on Switch, will be better than last-gen version

The Switch version of FIFA 18 doesn’t use Frostbite similar to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions. EA did, however, come up with its own custom engine for Nintendo’s console.

Explaining why the team decided against using Frostbite on Switch, developer Andrei Lazarescu noted:

“As much as we would have wanted to (use Frostbite) you can’t without making the whole engine work. We intentionally chose to do a custom engine because we felt that rather and try and get Frostbite running and end up having to downsize things and making it just a smaller, lower-quality version of the PS4 and Xbox One versions, we wanted this to be a FIFA that stands on its own two feet. We want people to recognise it and play it for what it is rather than saying, hey, you’re getting a sh***y, second-rate game. This is a full FIFA that players players will enjoy.”

Lazarescu also spoke about how the Switch version of FIFA 18 will be a significant improvement over the last-gen version. It’ll even support physics based rendering on Switch, which is something not offered on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

Lazarescu said:

“If you put the two together you won’t recognise them. When you dock it (and connect to the TV), it’s 1080p and 60 frames per second – Gen 3 (PS3 / Xbox 360) never run on this. We’re also using physics based rendering, another thing that Gen 3 did not have. We’re even putting ICONS in Ultimate Team – Gen 3 won’t have these either.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/ea-on-why-fifa-18-isnt-using-frostbite-on-switch-will-be-better-than-last-gen-version/

Around the Network

Yeah, it's obvious that it can't handle what the PS4 and Xbox One can. However, that's to be expected. Which is why I probably won't be getting multiplats on Switch, unless that's the only place they get a physical release.

"we wanted this to be a FIFA that stands on its own two feet. We want people to recognise it and play it for what it is rather than saying, hey, you’re getting a sh***y, second-rate game."

Well I can guarantee that isn't going to happen. The online Fifa community isn't going to take the Switch version seriously, they will view it as second-rate.

...they do remember that Frostbite was a PS360 engine first, right? Also, hilarious they argue didn't want to have a cut down version but then excluded the story mode from the Switch version. Grade A logic on display here.

Barkley said:

"we wanted this to be a FIFA that stands on its own two feet. We want people to recognise it and play it for what it is rather than saying, hey, you’re getting a sh***y, second-rate game."

Well I can guarantee that isn't going to happen. The online Fifa community isn't going to take the Switch version seriously, they will view it as second-rate.

They will take it very seriously if they wanted to play good Fifa game on handheld.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
...they do remember that Frostbite was a PS360 engine first, right? Also, hilarious they argue didn't want to have a cut down version but then excluded the story mode from the Switch version. Grade A logic on display here.

E.A: Making sure Capcom isn't the most loathed developer for Switch gamers since 2017. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

I'm supporting this game. I want FIFA on the go, and a football game is very suited to portable gaming. Looks like EA have actually put in a bit of effort here.

Nuvendil said:

Is the current version of the engine the same? I remember them using Frostbite on the PS3/360 versions of Dragon Age Inquisition. That game was severely scaled back on the two platforms and still had performance issues.

EA IS EVIL

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

We want people to recognise it and play it for what it is rather than saying, hey, you’re getting a sh***y, second-rate game. This is a full FIFA that players players will enjoy.”

Too bad the exact opposite is happening. But I guess it was inevitable, the Switch simply can't run probably not even of a half of what the PS4/ONE are capable of. Even if it looks and runs better than versions of "Gen 3" platforms, it's destined to be considered a second-rate game. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.