By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo demonstrate it does care about its customers?

I'm glad I have a good shop near me. I walked in today to buy a 3ds game for my kid's upcoming birthday and he said he already put me on the list and I should be getting one, never had to even ask. He also said it was pretty chaotic and he will be removing double orders from the pre-order list as he rather sells to people that actually use it themselves.
On the other hand, it has come so far with Nintendo that you can only get their stuff if you know the store owner...

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't sell blood, oxygen, water or food. They sell OPTIONAL distractions that enhance a boring life. Can't buy one of their toys? Go cry in a corner.

RolStoppable said:

Yes, you condemn how Nintendo handles this, but you'd gladly buy two units of which one would be sold at a profit to cover the costs of the unit you intend to keep.

I never said I do this. I've thought about it in past, but never actually have. 

shoichi said:

This isn't Nintendo's issue though. They only control the day preorders can go up by retailers (hence Walmart's mass "early" preorder cancellations due to Nintendo), the order limit(the amount a single person can order from one account) is for the most part controlled by the retailer.

The NES Classic for a few months before it was announced to be discontinued was somewhat easy to find after the holiday season died down. Once the discontinuation was announced to be in April, Scalpers (along with just collectors for nostalgia that didn't pick one up yet, like myself) bought up all the supply they possibly can which caused the issue of them being near impossbile to get towards the closing months. 

Scalpers already know the deal they had with the NES Classic. Meaning they should order as much of the supply as possible and sell it for gains of $100-200. They are trained for this because of how popular the NES Classic was. For example, if Scalpers buy up 50% of 5mm in preorder stock, that leaves for a net availability for the general public (non-scalpers) of 2.5mm in SNES Classics. It's not Nintendo's fault (outside of them being limited run products) that scalpers are lowering the amount of available stock for non-scalpers. But rather the retailer that is issuing the products for preorders without order limits, Amazon, Target, etc. As long as scalpers can make money off people that are desperate for the SNES Classic, scalpers will still continue to buy all available stock that they can.

I'm not against scalpers either, its their "job" in a sense. Just its not Nintendo's issue for how short preorders are up before they are sold out.

Supply is Nintendo's issue. Retailers are just the pipeline in which that supply is delivered. Retailers generally do put qty limits, at least they did last time I looked. However, online systems can only be so smart and scalpers do use bots as well as groups of people. 

NES Classic was never easy to find. Every bit of stock that came in was gobbled up instantly. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get one much of the time and then just gave up.

Alternatively there is another solution. Put the price at the appropriate amount. People are obviously willing to pay $200. Put the price at $150. That will make scalpers rethink the risk involved, buying less, as well as still be in the realm of where folks see value benefit for the product. It would also be more in-line with the VC cost per game ($7*25=$175), especially when you include the unique hardware, new features, and games not available in VC. I'd argue this is still a customer focused change as the total price is less than VC games overall and it would allow stock to not automatically shift to scalpers.

Vodacixi said:
So, you blame Nintendo for not being able to provide enough articles like the Classic Mini consoles or some special game editions to supply demand from fans... plus all those fuckers who buy 20 and then resell them on eBay increasing its price drastically? Those are the ones you should blame. Not Nintendo.

Yes.

Nintendo is making the biggest mistake any for profit business can make.

• ruining customer trust
  • feeding a scalper model
  • turning their backs on easy profits
Name one other company that repeatidly has this issue. Apple? Google? Sony? No one runs this type of anti-consumer embarrasment of a product luanch like Nintendo does.
1. Price it accurately for supply and demand.
2. Produce an appropriate amount of qty based on the estimated demand data.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
shoichi said:

This isn't Nintendo's issue though. They only control the day preorders can go up by retailers (hence Walmart's mass "early" preorder cancellations due to Nintendo), the order limit(the amount a single person can order from one account) is for the most part controlled by the retailer.

The NES Classic for a few months before it was announced to be discontinued was somewhat easy to find after the holiday season died down. Once the discontinuation was announced to be in April, Scalpers (along with just collectors for nostalgia that didn't pick one up yet, like myself) bought up all the supply they possibly can which caused the issue of them being near impossbile to get towards the closing months. 

Scalpers already know the deal they had with the NES Classic. Meaning they should order as much of the supply as possible and sell it for gains of $100-200. They are trained for this because of how popular the NES Classic was. For example, if Scalpers buy up 50% of 5mm in preorder stock, that leaves for a net availability for the general public (non-scalpers) of 2.5mm in SNES Classics. It's not Nintendo's fault (outside of them being limited run products) that scalpers are lowering the amount of available stock for non-scalpers. But rather the retailer that is issuing the products for preorders without order limits, Amazon, Target, etc. As long as scalpers can make money off people that are desperate for the SNES Classic, scalpers will still continue to buy all available stock that they can.

I'm not against scalpers either, its their "job" in a sense. Just its not Nintendo's issue for how short preorders are up before they are sold out.

Supply is Nintendo's issue. Retailers are just the pipeline in which that supply is delivered. Retailers generally do put qty limits, at least they did last time I looked. However, online systems can only be so smart and scalpers do use bots as well as groups of people. 

NES Classic was never easy to find. Every bit of stock that came in was gobbled up instantly. I tried, unsuccessfully, to get one much of the time and then just gave up.

Alternatively there is another solution. Put the price at the appropriate amount. People are obviously willing to pay $200. Put the price at $150. That will make scalpers rethink the risk involved, buying less, as well as still be in the realm of where folks see value benefit for the product. It would also be more in-line with the VC cost per game ($7*25=$175), especially when you include the unique hardware, new features, and games not available in VC. I'd argue this is still a customer focused change as the total price is less than VC games overall and it would allow stock to not automatically shift to scalpers.

You are missing the meaning of what I am saying.

lets say Nintendo shipped 10m of SNES classics at launch. But 5m ends up destroyed through some accident at sea during shipping by the shipping company (made up 'Maston'). Would that be the shipping company ('Maston') or Nintendos fault that the end result is only 5m SNES classics are up for sale at launch? In most cases this is the shipping company's fault not Nintendo who did their best to ship to customers but another company was at fault for the large loss of inventory. In a way this is the same thing as a scalper who is taking a large portion of product away from others by ordering 10's and in some cases 100's of product to resell that the average consumer won't look at, which puts blame on nintendo for lack of supply when customers look to retailers for the item.

In addition just because more supply is available doesn't mean scalpers still won't grab every product they can get there hands on, because of the NES Classic effect. As it's still in demand. The only time scalping will decrease is if the items they bought dont sell for more than the MSRP they bought it at.

Also if you don't believe Amazon was a huge issue..I give you this image that was a comment on Wario64's twitter. A single order, that likely other scalpers did the same (maybe not as much quantity).

Nintendo is not trying to overprice a product just because of scalpers. Companies spend time on R&D, and marketing to calculate a MSRP. That's why it's not the $150-200 you are suggesting.

shoichi said:

You are missing the meaning of what I am saying.

lets say Nintendo shipped 10m of SNES classics at launch. But 5m ends up destroyed through some accident at sea during shipping by the shipping company (made up 'Maston'). Would that be the shipping company ('Maston') or Nintendos fault that the end result is only 5m SNES classics are up for sale at launch? In most cases this is the shipping company's fault not Nintendo who did their best to ship to customers but another company was at fault for the large loss of inventory. In a way this is the same thing as a scalper who is taking a large portion of product away from others by ordering 10's and in some cases 100's of product to resell that the average consumer won't look at, which puts blame on nintendo for lack of supply when customers look to retailers for the item.

In addition just because more supply is available doesn't mean scalpers still won't grab every product they can get there hands on, because of the NES Classic effect. As it's still in demand. The only time scalping will decrease is if the items they bought dont sell for more than the MSRP they bought it at.

Also if you don't believe Amazon was a huge issue..I give you this image that was a comment on Wario64's twitter. A single order, that likely other scalpers did the same (maybe not as much quantity).

Nintendo is not trying to overprice a product just because of scalpers. Companies spend time on R&D, and marketing to calculate a MSRP. That's why it's not the $150-200 you are suggesting.

For previous pre-orders such as this, Amazon has instituted a post-sale 1 item limit.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-07-05-amazon-uk-retroactively-imposes-one-per-customer-snes-mini-limit

I remember Amazon doing the same with other hot pre-orders and if UK is doing it, I expect to see reports of US as well soon. This is usually not a regional decision and I'd expect scalpers were a bigger issue in US than other areas of the world.

I fully understand your statement but I think that pricing, plentiful stock is well within the area of a manufacturer to combat scalping and demonstrate actions that are best for their customers. 

I would like to point out that limited buy logic on websites isn't a fool proof mechanism. What happens in that scenario is bots appear that make buys much faster than people can and at a far higher frequency. This causes websites to be overrun as well. Remember when orders for NES Classic went up with a 2 max limit? That shit brought down several Amazon detail pages for hours. That was when Amazon started putting new stock out without notice. That is also why Switch stock replacements continued that trend and took it further by only going up behind the Prime wall.

RolStoppable said:
No.

pokoko said:
Nintendo has always had a "we do what we want, when we want" attitude. If you're a fan, you pretty much have to live with that.

I concur.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:
No.

pokoko said:
Nintendo has always had a "we do what we want, when we want" attitude. If you're a fan, you pretty much have to live with that.

I concur.

As do I.

Also, I do not understand why owning a small box of the original thing with emulated games is a thing.

They could be planning VC on the Switch for both NES and SNES.