By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - X1X - Hype controlled

Based on previous threads about the Switch, I know that many here believe that manufacturers "build them as fast as they can" and "would never limit sales".

Clearly there is some truth to those ideas.  

Sure, a manufacturer will build them as fast as they can, but with the understanding that they would rather have no stock on hand than hundreds of thousands sitting in a warehouse.  I think the Switch was a good example of this.  Nintendo learned from the WiiU and decided it was better to be safe than sorry.  Thus, the perpetual out of stocks.  Microsoft learned this when they launched the first gen Surface tablets.  Those things cost them nearly a billion dollars in write downs because they had tons of them sitting in warehouses.

Fast forward from the WiiU and the Surface and we have 2017.  The Switch is released with little to no stock, and woosh!  People can't stop talking about how hard they are to get and the Hype is made for them.  Now, MS has the X1X and somehow, the "too expensive" console has sold out for pre orders.  Clearly, MS has stated that this is a niche product, but how would they have so few that the presells are gone in hours?

MANUFACTURED HYPE!  MS is basically copying the same strategy that Nintendo used with the Switch( I still believe that it was a well planned manufacturing delay)  I do expect that MS will have more systems available when the holidays roll around than what the hype machine will have us believing.  I would guess that there will be shortages for the whole month of November(building the hype).  And then, all of a sudden, in early December we will see them popping up in most of the stores to grab those Holiday Dollars.

Between now and then, mysteriously, Amazon/Gamestop/etc   will "get more allotted" to them and they will go back to available for pre-order.  Thus continuing the Hype train every few weeks until launch.

We will see, but I doubt I am far off...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

"Clearly, MS has stated that this is a niche product, but how would they have so few that the presells are gone in hours? MANUFACTURED HYPE! MS is basically copying the same strategy that Nintendo used with the Switch"

I honestly can't tell if this is a parody, but if it is, it's pretty damn good.

So we confirm the conspiracy theory of Nintendo intentionally limiting Switch supply by claiming MS will do the same with X1X?

How do you know X1X won't just sit on store shelves with small supply like the PSVR/PS Vita/existing Xbox One?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
"Clearly, MS has stated that this is a niche product, but how would they have so few that the presells are gone in hours? MANUFACTURED HYPE! MS is basically copying the same strategy that Nintendo used with the Switch"

I honestly can't tell if this is a parody, but if it is, it's pretty damn good.

It's not a parody.

Landguy ignores that Switch is among the fastest selling consoles in history (would not be possible with" little to no stock") and is seemingly oblivious that it's common practice that preorder allocations are handed out to retailers in batches instead of everything at once, because differences in regional demand are much easier to gauge and account for that way.

Oh....

oh no

Yeah, Nintendo told Apple to share a factory with them to limit supply and told that screen company to go bankrupt so create more limited supply to create a great demand. Yes. This is what happened surely.

Around the Network

The OP has been here since '07, has 2000 posts, and can't figure out basic numbers? What is going on in this world? How do you frequent this site for this long and think people will still believe nonsense? That'll work on non-sales sites, but folks here are a bit more educated for the most part.

I don't buy hype. I buy what I like. Artificial demand had never worked on me. If I don't want a pair of Jordans, an iPhone, or whatever (and I don't), hype won't change my mind.

I don't get it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The x1x has hype? I don't know anyone personally that's wanting one. Most just got a S.

This is a bit silly, but mostly for the Switch comparisons.

Yes, saying "preorders have run out" is a very easy way to project the outlook that a console is in great demand, without revealing actual numbers.
Keeping numbers vague is a strategy MS has employed time and again.

It doesn't work for Nintendo however, because after Switch supplies ran out they were quick to confirm how many were sold.