By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Age of Empires 4 be revealed at GamesCom this monday?

Hi all

Sorry for what must have seem like a clickbait thread yesterday about Phil Spencers twitter feed and my interpretation on an Age of Empires 4 reveal. That was not on purpose. I must have slept while writing it like that.

But now it really seems something major fon the AoE franchise will be announced today the 21. august at gamescom at 9:00 p.m. CEST. Yesterday at the xbox gamescom conference, some marketing woman mentioned a major announcement on this franchise for today.

I'll bet it will be AoE4!

Perhaps the guys who made Halo Wars 2, are focusing their efforts on this one.

Or the Team Forgotten Empires, they made the definitive edition, and now perhaps AoE4?

Interest is high for RTS games, and the love for this franchise is high.

Around the Network

Looking it up ... I'm really surprised how well the series has sold. However, it's still unlikely. I think in the current gaming climate it's a big risk.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Looking it up ... I'm really surprised how well the series has sold. However, it's still unlikely. I think in the current gaming climate it's a big risk.

I would actually say the current gaming climate it is far less of a risk as RTS and esport are huge right now. If they manage to balance AoE as well as some of the historical games then it could be absolutely massive. Personally I could not give a crap about esports but anything that helps me get another AoE can't be all bad. 

Didn't Halo Wars bomb earlier this year? Rts on console has never been big to my knowledge.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
Didn't Halo Wars bomb earlier this year? Rts on console has never been big to my knowledge.

I would hope if they were doing it they would have a PC version as well which is where most would want to play it.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I would actually say the current gaming climate it is far less of a risk as RTS and esport are huge right now. If they manage to balance AoE as well as some of the historical games then it could be absolutely massive. Personally I could not give a crap about esports but anything that helps me get another AoE can't be all bad. 

That's very true. The thing is ... it's honestly always awkward to speculate if it's safer or not as safe to release a game from a niche genre. With the rise of indie games(not to say AoE is indie) and youtube commentary, it's easier than ever for niche products to be consumed. Go on the steam store and see how games that are popular on there are wholly original or unique. BUT, it seems like a lot of big publishers are more scared by this current landscape then the landscapes in the past. In the past, it was perfectly ok to have triple A games be entirely exclusive to PC. The mid 2000's produced some of the most graphically impressive games for years on end exclusively on PC, like Crysis and Stalker. You can't get away with that nowadays and make a profit while being exclusive. That doesn't have anything to do with AoE, but it's an example of how even with more popularity and awareness there are some things to consider. 

Especially Microsoft, a company who's consistently published more niche triple A or AA games and has constantly gotten low returns over this generation. Personally with a decent budget and good PC marketing though, I think it will be successful either way. I just can see how MS would be worried.

nanarchy said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

I would hope if they were doing it they would have a PC version as well which is where most would want to play it.

A PC version should be pretty much certain considering most Xbox games are on pc these days with their cross play or play anywhere. 

UltimateGamer1982 said:
nanarchy said:

A PC version should be pretty much certain considering most Xbox games are on pc these days with their cross play or play anywhere. 

Also about 99.99% of people who would buy the game are on PC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Microsoft would probably market a new AoE game similarly as halo wars 2, for PC and Xbox. But I personally hope they will solely focus on PC for this one. Would hate to se a beloved RTS franchise like AoE be simplified, just to handle xbox gameplay.

Ka-pi96 said:
piopakk said:
Microsoft would probably market a new AoE game similarly as halo wars 2, for PC and Xbox. But I personally hope they will solely focus on PC for this one. Would hate to se a beloved RTS franchise like AoE be simplified, just to handle xbox gameplay.

Are you saying Xbox can`t do what PS can? I mean, AOE 2 wasn`t simplified to handle PS2 gameplay....

I am saying that consoles, can't and should not be the targeted platforms for true and complex RTS games. They should remain on PC. Personally though I don't care, as long as the gameplay and gamemechanics remains non-handicapped for PC