By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Need some help for choosing Laptop for college.

WolfpackN64 said:
Vor said:

If you exclude daily task like Office and Web Browsing I'll use it mostly for gaming. However I also do a little video editing or 3D rendering.

Hmm, are these really your only options? I'd rather go looking for something that at least includes a GTX 1050, the GTX950M is quite weak. I'd really look at an SSD as well, I know that'll drive up the price, but it's better for a laptops longevity since HDD's hate being lugged around.

If being CPU bound isn't a real problem, the Bristol Ridge AMD chips aren't terrible.

The cheapest laptop with GTX 1050 is 100 bucks more than these two in my country. I can't afford that atm since I'm on tight budget. However I'll try to persuade my dad to increase the budget

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Around the Network
Vor said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Hmm, are these really your only options? I'd rather go looking for something that at least includes a GTX 1050, the GTX950M is quite weak. I'd really look at an SSD as well, I know that'll drive up the price, but it's better for a laptops longevity since HDD's hate being lugged around.

If being CPU bound isn't a real problem, the Bristol Ridge AMD chips aren't terrible.

The cheapest laptop with GTX 1050 is 100 bucks more than these two in my country. I can't afford that atm since I'm on tight budget. However I'll try to persuade my dad to increase the budget

It's just because the Intel HQ chips are quite powerful, but the GPU would be quite lackluster. Have you looked at the Dell Inspiron 1500 Gaming yet? Or is that not an option?

if its for school... and you ll have to carry it around with you all day.... go for the one with best battery life & least weight.

You ll come to hate its weight soon enough, dont get a "gamer laptop" for school, not worth it.

JRPGfan said:

if its for school... and you ll have to carry it around with you all day.... go for the one with best battery life & least weight.

You ll come to hate its weight soon enough, dont get a "gamer laptop" for school, not worth it.

So much this. I carry my laptop around a lot and was hesistant to switch from a 15" model to a 13" one because the smaller model was slower of course. I did and I never looked back because portability is so important if you need a notebook to actually work on. My girlfriend is even considering a 12" Macbook now because she takes her laptop to university daily and that one is very light. 

But if gaming is important for you OP, sure give it a go. Guess it depends on whether you are a heavy (PC) gamer or not.   But as others have said an SSD is a must. It gives you a way bigger perceived performance boost than a faster GPU or CPU.