By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get the RX Vega 64 or GTX 1080?

Looking at the Vega64 reviews, the answer to the question of the OP seems to be that, given that the performance of both is roughly similar, go for the cheaper one.

So, if the 1080 is still the cheaper option, go for it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Seriously....the 64 seems to be pretty much garbage. Way too power hungry. The 56 though seems to be a good alternative slotting in between 1080 and 1070 powerwise, but is also more power hungry than a 1080.

That said it seems the AMD cards will gain huge performance jumps on Vulcan and with more optimised games really using the higher bandwidth.

I'd still recommend the 1080. You can't go wrong with NVIDIA in my experience.

Pemalite said:

The benchmarks are accurate, we know they are accurate because there are dozens of tech-sites on the internet which have gathered empirical evidence and compiled them into appropriate charts for you to peruse. - And they all tell the same story.

You are literally trying to justify your ancedotal point of view as something that is more accurate than some of the most reliable sources of information on the internet, that's not factual and not something I can adhere to. - And you will *never* change my mind on this... As I apply this standard of thinking to everything.

And yet all the benches aren't completely pin point accurate to one another either. They tell a similar story, but the story isn't 100% to the dot accurate, but I guess you'll let that pass but anything else from anyone that isn't a benchmark site is busted or "anecdotal".

I'm not even trying to change your mind when there isn't anything to change in the first place. I simply told you my side and you rolled with "your rig is busted, that's a fact, it cannot be denied" and then sided with benches and yet I've managed to run other games well enough, but that's then amounted to "anecdotal", which is a classy way of saying "unreliable and useless info, therefore you're wrong". 

Yes, you apply it to everything, which is why you hardly think you're wrong most of the time. I'm watching you duke it out with someone else on this very thread and you're cock sure that you're right all the way.  You claim you'll admit to being wrong, yet I've hardly seen you do this in all my years of being on here, so is that to say that you have never ever been wrong on here at all?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Pemalite said:
Chazore said:

GTA V and Witcher 3 on ultra seem to be heavy hitters to me. I'm aware we can turn down settings but there are folk like me who don't want

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1771?vs=1731

GTA 5 Very High settings.
1440P Geforce 1070: 63.1fps.
1080P Geforce 1060: 68.2fps.

Well, if you max out the GTA V settings, it can be taxing in 1440p in some areas of the game, even with a 1080 Ti: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeon-RX-Vega-64-Grafikkarte-266623/Tests/Benchmark-Vergleich-vs-Nvidia-1235712/

JEMC said:
Looking at the Vega64 reviews, the answer to the question of the OP seems to be that, given that the performance of both is roughly similar, go for the cheaper one.

AMD is much cheaper if you consider the price of the monitor. If you're so serious about gaming that you invest is such an expensive card, you can't justify not buying a FreeSync/G-Sync monitor with a high refresh rate. FreeSync monitors are MUCH cheaper, especially if someone is interested in the extra value packs AMD offers, which includes $200 off of a sweet 34" 1440p Ultrawide Samsung FreeSync monitor (100 Hz I believe). nVidia can't come close to that offer.

Also, Ultrawide Masterrace!

Still, I'm keeping my hopes up for non-reference Vega 56 shipping with unlocked BIOS, or people creating a solution for this 56 can be a legendary card.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

Too much power draw, seems as if AMD will never match the efficiency roadmap Nvidia is on.

Unless on a Freesync monitor, i'd be going GTX1080 here.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

CGI-Quality said:
Errorist76 said:
You can't go wrong with NVIDIA in my experience.

Mine either.

You guys clearly missed out on being burned by Fermi

When it comes to the future, don't judge it solely on how Vega performs. Navi will be the first GPU designed from the grounds up by Raja Koduri and it is said to take advantage of Infinity Fabric, similar to Ryzen, so it can be worthwhile. The question is when it's going to come out...

The more I think about Vega, the more I see it as a good card, but way too late to the party. AMD managed to round out its offer with high end cards, Pascal + Vega is a very good and competitive response to Pascal. But Pascal is over a year old! Vega is way too late to the party I mean, Volta is already out! Not the gaming consumer cards, but the V100 is already out! And while Vega can trade blows with Pascal, I don't expect it to compete with Volta. Vega 56 is the only card that has the potential to sell bigger numbers, especially if they keep price low and unlock BIOS.

On the other hand, we can expect prices to get lower in the next 6 months (if mining craze passes obviously...). Pascal cards should drop in price both because of Vega 56 and upcoming Volta. Competition is always good for customers

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

JEMC said:

The performance is slightly in favor of the 1080 but the power usage is LARGELY in favor of the 1080, that counts for $$$ difference if there is one, 1080 is the solid choice

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Scisca said:
JEMC said:

AMD is much cheaper if you consider the price of the monitor. If you're so serious about gaming that you invest is such an expensive card, you can't justify not buying a FreeSync/G-Sync monitor with a high refresh rate. FreeSync monitors are MUCH cheaper, especially if someone is interested in the extra value packs AMD offers, which includes $200 off of a sweet 34" 1440p Ultrawide Samsung FreeSync monitor (100 Hz I believe). nVidia can't come close to that offer.

Still, I'm keeping my hopes up for non-reference Vega 56 shipping with unlocked BIOS, or people creating a solution for this 56 can be a legendary card.

He only asked for a GPU advise, so let's not move that discussion into other things like monitors because we don't know if he's also planning to get a new one or even if he cares about faster than 60Hz monitors or things like FreeSync/G-Sync. 

malistix1985 said:
JEMC said:

The performance is slightly in favor of the 1080 but the power usage is LARGELY in favor of the 1080, that counts for $$$ difference if there is one, 1080 is the solid choice

In Vulkan titles Vega 64 is much faster than a 1080, and in DX 12 they trade blows all the time, albeit for the fact that when the 1080 wins, it is by a small margin, and when the Vega 64 wins, it's usually with a bigger lead.

In DX 11 the 1080 is usually faster.

Power consumption is clearly better on Nvidia cards, but that will only matter based on how many hours a week Turkish play, because at idle, where most cards spend their time, the differences are minimal (and that also depends on the rest of the build).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Scisca said:

He only asked for a GPU advise, so let's not move that discussion into other things like monitors because we don't know if he's also planning to get a new one or even if he cares about faster than 60Hz monitors or things like FreeSync/G-Sync. 

I disagree, this is too important a factor to completely ignore it. Buying a GPU with a monitor in mind gives easily the best result and gamers should always keep it in mind.