By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 10 biggest sports markets in the world (by country)

Well then it is pretty amazing that just off a few popular sports the UK is so high.

The US has everything from Hotdog competitions to Basketball to Golf to 50 other popular sports.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network
HomokHarcos said:
twintail said:

what exactly makes this shocking?

Neither being in the top 10 seems about right when it comes to sport. 

Now that I think of it, there doesn't seem to be any big spectator sport. I'm pretty sure India being in the top 10 is probably almost entirely due to cricket.

Probably.

Theres actually more to sport in India than cricket. They play quite a lot of different things. Soccer and field hockey in particular are quite popular. 

ktay95 said:
Population of 24m and we're 8th, just incase you didn't know how sports crazy we are down here.

Yeah, Austrailia is the big surprise for me. Canada's the second least populous country on the list, but still has 12 million more than people than Austrailia, yet you're ahead of us. Never would have guessed. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

spurgeonryan said:
Well then it is pretty amazing that just off a few popular sports the UK is so high.

The US has everything from Hotdog competitions to Basketball to Golf to 50 other popular sports.

The Premier League season is very long. It goes from August-May. And every 2 years there's a major international tournament (FIFA World Cup and UEFA Euro). So in even years it goes from August-July.

WE'RE #1! And now it seems our politics have become the number one  spectator sport of the world.

Around the Network

No huge surprise in that list. Sure, China isn't there but people from China seem to prefer to pay for the English Premier League and so on.

If they would make a list where the money in sports comes from then it would look pretty different. I guess most money in sports in countries like UK doesn't come from UK,

WTF why are we #3 ? Football, while still being crazy popular, has been declining for a few years now; Basketball has a small following, the only other big thing imho is Swimming but I've never seen it broadcasted other than during Olympics/World Championships

RJ_Sizzle said:

WE'RE #1! And now it seems our politics have become the number one  spectator sport of the world.

I am sure Trump makes a lot of money off the marketing dollars his antics create. 

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

spurgeonryan said:

UK has a lot of popular sports too. Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Formula 1. All of those are big. Plenty of smaller ones too.

crissindahouse said:
No huge surprise in that list. Sure, China isn't there but people from China seem to prefer to pay for the English Premier League and so on.

If they would make a list where the money in sports comes from then it would look pretty different. I guess most money in sports in countries like UK doesn't come from UK,

Don`t be so sure. Sky/BT paid £5.14 billion for Premier League TV rights for 3 years. That`s only rights to broadcast it within the UK too and is an absolutely insane figure. So clearly a lot of money does come from UK viewers.