By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 10 biggest sports markets in the world (by country)

10.India

9.Canada

8.Australia

7.Brazil

6.Spain

5.Germany

4.France

3.Italy

2.United Kingdom

1.United States

It's a shocker that neither China nor Japan (the 2nd and 3rd largest economies) are in the top 10.

Source

https://www.sportbusiness.com/sportbusiness-international/tvsm-global-report-2016

Around the Network

I'd say that looks about right. What sports are popular in Japan? Baseball and Football, right? But the best Japanese players of football aren't in Japan, they are in Europe. The most popular football league in China? The premier league because there's more money involved in it and it's not rigged. :P It's all about sponsorship.

Although Canada is kind of high, aren't most their 'leagues' joined with the USA?

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

I'd say that looks about right. What sports are popular in Japan? Baseball and Football, right? But the best Japanese players of football aren't in Japan, they are in Europe. The most popular football league in China? The premier league because there's more money involved in it and it's not rigged. :P It's all about sponsorship.

Although Canada is kind of high, aren't most their 'leagues' joined with the USA?

I`m guessing it`s how much they pay in total for rights to show sports leagues rather than how much their leagues actually generate (it`s not really explained all that well though), so that would explain why Canada is still high, they pay a lot for NHL TV rights I guess

As for China, I expect that`s so low due to the government having a monopoly on... well... everything TV rights there aren`t going to be that high with no competition trying to outbid each other.

Population of 24m and we're 8th, just incase you didn't know how sports crazy we are down here.

40% of global market for Football is kind of crazy, though...

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
HomokHarcos said:

It's a shocker that neither China or Japan (the 2nd and 3rd largest economies) are in the top 10.

what exactly makes this shocking?

Neither being in the top 10 seems about right when it comes to sport. 

ktay95 said:
Population of 24m and we're 8th, just incase you didn't know how sports crazy we are down here.

Must be really popular per capita. I know Victoria's obsession with the AFL is fanatical.

What is big in the UK? Just soccer?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

twintail said:
HomokHarcos said:

It's a shocker that neither China or Japan (the 2nd and 3rd largest economies) are in the top 10.

what exactly makes this shocking?

Neither being in the top 10 seems about right when it comes to sport. 

Now that I think of it, there doesn't seem to be any big spectator sport. I'm pretty sure India being in the top 10 is probably almost entirely due to cricket.

spurgeonryan said:
What is big in the UK? Just soccer?

Rugby is also pretty popular. It's considered the national sport of Wales and is popular in southern England.