By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making Konami great again!

So this is a hypothetical scenario to make Konami the premier Japanese publisher it once was. After the shit of the gamur community the last 2 years, to win everyone back they would need to focus on bringing their core franchises back, by testing the waters with HD remasters.

This is phase 1:

-Suikoden 1+2 HD, in glorious new sprites, reworked for HD displays

-Suikoden 3-5 HD Remastar, the usual things associated with remasters, plus updated mechanics and QoL upgrades, like toning down the grind, doing 3x speed etc

-Castlevania collections for all platforms, they can do quite a few of these, with glorious updated sprites, like Suikoden 1+2 HD

-Re-releasing tons of their classic games for new platforms like the Switch

-MGR for PS4/Xbone/Switch

-Some Switch support, like

Release everything also physical and in collector's editions.

Now comes phase 2, new games:

-A new collab with PlatinumGames: MGR2, ZOE3 and a new 3D Castlevania

-Suikoden 6

-New Bomberman for all platforms

-new Contra/Gradius by some indie studio with glorious pixel art

-MGS1-MGS3 REMAKES, there should never be a MGS6 without Kojima, but Konami can still milk the franchise by doing remakes of the older games. Considering how good the MGS 3 pachinko game in the Fox engine looks, this should def happen

Konami is sitting on a goldmine.

Around the Network

I'm actually working on something about Konami right now. I'm still researching it, but allow me to give some piliminary thoughts.

One of the problems it seems with Konami is that they let their series go to shit. Konami was a premier developer years ago, but outside of Metal Gear, there was nothing they were known for. And while everyone loves Kojima, he was spending too much money on his projects. You can see this because despite having higher revenues in 2015, Konami had better profits the following year, suggesting that MGS5 was far too expensive (for reference, under US GAAP, you expense [amoritize] software when its sold after it meets technical feasible. IIRC, this is the same under international standards).

Konami also seems to have lost a lot of its talent. Obviously, Kojima left, but so did the creator of Castlevania. The company has a bad reputation so it would be difficult to build up more talent. The other issue is do many of these brands still have the recognition to warrant re-releases and remasters? Metal Gear and Castlevania maybe, but probably not Contra.

In Konami's current state, the strategy of pushing mobile games may benefit them. The reason they made more money in 2016 is due to a higher gross margin. The low(er) cost of mobile games may allow them a foot holder to build capital and attract new talent. Current AAA is too risky with how high the cost of development is. In fact, a big reason Konami likely rushed MGS5 was due to poor sales of Ground Zero. Switch development may be a good alternative, as OP suggested, given the lower cost. Nevertheless, I think the company needs to find its footing. I think re-releases and remasters are not a great strategy as they need to find what Konami will be in the future, not what they were 10 years ago.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Making konami great again !

I love hard mode, but this is way too much for me.

VideoGameAccountant said:
In Konami's current state, the strategy of pushing mobile games may benefit them. The reason they made more money in 2016 is due to a higher gross margin. The low(er) cost of mobile games may allow them a foot holder to build capital and attract new talent. Current AAA is too risky with how high the cost of development is.

You make all valid points. But if they just keep doing mobile and machines only. Eventually that is what they will all be known for. Just like the kiddy image from Nintendo. It became a negative aspect of the company which persists till this day. it does hamper them in areas. Also, mobile is very volitile. Sooner or later they will run out of everything they can port and milk on there. Then end up like Zynga, where profits get stuck. Since they lost respect towards gamers and others. They don't have the other avenues anymore.

As the years go on. No one will want to give them a try. Like Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Especially if Kojima gets a strong footing with another company. Or his team alone. People will never look at them again. In the past it would of been easier. But with Social Media and Youtube personalites like Jim Stering making fun of them every time. The marketing job will be harder and harder.

Namiirei said:

Making konami great again !

I love hard mode, but this is way too much for me.

After all the Konami gubbins, the OP sounds like the biggest example of wishful thinking ever. I am sure people have been wishing for some of those things since before the PS4 even.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
I can assure you Konami has NEVER been the premier Japanese publisher. Never will be either...

It most certainly has been, gen3-6.

Ka-pi96 said:
Xen said:

It most certainly has been, gen3-6.

Wasn`t gen 3-6 Nintendo and Sega`s golden ages? So yeah, no chance it was the premier Japanese publisher while those two were at their best going head to head.

5-6? Nintendo and SEGA's golden ages? XD

SEGA can only brag about gen4 as anything of merit, fapping over the Dreamcast legacy aside.

Never mind that there can be a few "premier" publishers, but Konami can certaily brag about a lot of fantastic games from each and every one of those gens.

Ka-pi96 said:
Xen said:

5-6? Nintendo and SEGA's golden ages? XD

SEGA can only brag about gen4 as anything of merit, fapping over the Dreamcast legacy aside.

Never mind that there can be a few "premier" publishers, but Konami can certaily brag about a lot of fantastic games from each and every one of those gens.

Well premier means #1 or highest, so there can`t really be a few

Only included Sega because people seem to nostalgia goggle over them all the time. I personally think they were at their best during 7th gen, with 8th gen Sega being pretty awesome so far too. But Nintendo are pretty difficult to dispute for gens 3/4. Then Squaresoft & Capcom were brilliant during 5th too.

Honestly, I just wouldn`t ever put Konami among the big Japanese publishers. They only seem to have Metal Gear and PES to me, while the actual big publishers have a lot more big popular IPs than just 2.

To you truly though, they had Gradius, TMNT, Suikoden, Castlevania, Silent Hill...

Premier indeed means "highest", but multiple entities can state their claim to that title. Out of the Japanese pubs, during those gens, Konami, Capcom, Square each have a valid claim to that title IMO

The last thing that made Konami good is gone.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Konami is still great in gambling halls. Why try to make them make more video games when that's clearly not what they want?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.