By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My dog killed a neighbors cat! Not sure what to do

Why can't dogs and cats live in PEACE

However I don't think your cat-bird example is really comparable. It is expected of especially big dogs to be well trained. They can be dangerous animals. I hope the best to you and your dog.

Around the Network
Versus_Evil said:

Kill your neighbors, cover the cat in their blood, make it look like the cat did it.

Damn, you were quicker than me!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No self-respecting cat should allow itself to get caught by a dog in the first place.

That's quite horrible, though... Depending on how violent the scene looked your dog, being quite large, may have just killed it on accident when attempting to play. My dog (an Irish Wolfhound) once killed a mid-sized rat completely on accident, when we went in the backyard and saw the scene she was still trying to dance around and get it to play (this despite Irish Wolfhounds being about the most gentle and docile breed in the world).

This sounds a little more intentional though. I certainly don't blame the dog in the same way that I wouldn't blame the cat for killing a mouse, but it'll be very difficult to make amends with that neighbor, especially if he really loved the cat. You'll certainly want to look into the local laws regarding this sort of thing (most areas have gotten very strict about dogs being leashed) and I wish you luck.

There is one thing that's always bugged me a little though, and that's the sense many cat owners have that it's perfectly fine for them to let their cats roam around the neighborhood. Just as you should not have let your dog get out (and should be glad it didn't even accidentally injure a kid or you'd be facing some serious issues), cats shouldn't be out and about either. Everywhere I've lived there's always been cats roaming around, sleeping on (and scratching) my car, even jumping in through my window... cat owners can be remarkably entitled in the way they expect you to practically adopt their pets, and should something happen to said cats they really have no one else to blame.

According to our current moral system the dog needs to be sent to a home where he gets 3 free meals a day and regular exercise for about 25 dog years. After that we can start rehabilitating him into society.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
According to our current moral system the dog needs to be sent to a home where he gets 3 free meals a day and regular exercise for about 25 dog years. After that we can start rehabilitating him into society.

He must always carry his cat-killing-history with him and report it to all who ask once rehabilitated, though, thus ensuring that he'll never find a decent home and will likely revert to a life of cat-abuse.

Around the Network

Its their nature to chase cats.... and if your "friend" didnt close the gate and your dog got out.... yeah thats bad.
Ultimately its your reponsibility, even if your friend was at fault with the gate.

I suggest you dont go to your neighbor and go "i ll get you a new one".
People can become quite attached to their pets.

You ll need to promis your neighbor it wont ever happend again, because you wont ever just let the down outsides without you there watching it. Something like that.

Time to stop just letting it out in the backyard, you gotta get off the couch and go watch it while its out doing its bussiness.

May the cat rest in peace.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I mocked up this post. Read the one below for my opinion.

I guess i can say that i'm sorry to hear that.

Johnw1104 said:

No self-respecting cat should allow itself to get caught by a dog in the first place.

That's quite horrible, though... Depending on how violent the scene looked your dog, being quite large, may have just killed it on accident when attempting to play. My dog (an Irish Wolfhound) once killed a mid-sized rat completely on accident, when we went in the backyard and saw the scene she was still trying to dance around and get it to play (this despite Irish Wolfhounds being about the most gentle and docile breed in the world).

This sounds a little more intentional though. I certainly don't blame the dog in the same way that I wouldn't blame the cat for killing a mouse, but it'll be very difficult to make amends with that neighbor, especially if he really loved the cat. You'll certainly want to look into the local laws regarding this sort of thing (most areas have gotten very strict about dogs being leashed) and I wish you luck.

There is one thing that's always bugged me a little though, and that's the sense many cat owners have that it's perfectly fine for them to let their cats roam around the neighborhood. Just as you should not have let your dog get out (and should be glad it didn't even accidentally injure a kid or you'd be facing some serious issues), cats shouldn't be out and about either. Everywhere I've lived there's always been cats roaming around, sleeping on (and scratching) my car, even jumping in through my window... cat owners can be remarkably entitled in the way they expect you to practically adopt their pets, and should something happen to said cats they really have no one else to blame.

The dog seeked out the cat though, not the other way around (it seems that way), because of where it died.

Also what harm can a roaming cat do? its not like they attack people, or kill other pets.

A dog is generally smarter, much more dangerous (to people and o ther pets) and can be trained to behave properly.

Thats why a dog needs to be treated differntly than a cat. Why one can safely be allowed to roam, and not the other.