By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The state of illinois issued lay off notices to hundreds of employees because the sweetened beverage tax was delayed

spurgeonryan said:
VAMatt said:
All governments waste money. That's the only thing they're good at. So, if you want them to stop wasting tax money, you're going to need to abolish government.

But it on next years ballot and lets see what happens.

It is damn near impossible to get referenda on most ballots.  But, I do work everyday to abolish parts of government, with the end goal of eliminating the whole concept of the state.  

Around the Network
vivster said:
Just another reason why taxes should be handled on the federal level. God I hate state rights.

Yeah so that they can be wasted on trillion dollar planes. 

http://time.com/money/4310099/f-35-budget-pay-free-college-student-loans/

Right... 

Tell me how many unitary states with populations greater than 320 million exist in the world? China? There is a reason why federalism exists, a few hundred people can't properly manage and represent the interests of large and diverse populations. 

vivster said:
Just another reason why taxes should be handled on the federal level. God I hate state rights.

LOL, youre a funny guy. The federal government is terrible with money as well.

Government makes these problems and your solution is more government. How about reduce spending?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

LOL, youre a funny guy. The federal government is terrible with money as well.

Government makes these problems and your solution is more government. How about reduce spending?

Wait a few years (I'd say it could be done in 10), and put AI in charge of large parts of the government. Optimization/managment is something our current tech excels at, so it's just a few ethical details that need to be specified.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

VAMatt said:
All governments waste money. That's the only thing they're good at. So, if you want them to stop wasting tax money, you're going to need to abolish government.

Or have AI to make decisions more efficient.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

We could try communism. It always works.

Anyways, if they couldn't afford them before the new tax, why is the new tax the reason for the layoff?

KLAMarine said:
Snoopy said:

The difference is we are forced to pay taxes or we are thrown in the government's cage.

You aren't forced to pay taxes. You could go live out in the wilderness away from the infrastructure paid for by taxes.

Snoopy said:

At least when a company waste money or an organization that's on them.

People still lose their jobs there.

Govt won't allow that. They find ways to force you. Primarily under threat of some form of violence. You can't even go into the wilderness. You get nailed for tresspassing on federal lands. You get nailed for fishing if you didn't pay the license fee(tax). Lots of stories of the years of people trying to do just what you suggest. Government will find d a way to hammer you if you do. Or you can rot away on a park bench. Taxes are absolutely forced.

Screw my state..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Razeak said:
KLAMarine said:

You aren't forced to pay taxes. You could go live out in the wilderness away from the infrastructure paid for by taxes.

People still lose their jobs there.

Govt won't allow that. They find ways to force you. Primarily under threat of some form of violence. You can't even go into the wilderness. You get nailed for tresspassing on federal lands. You get nailed for fishing if you didn't pay the license fee(tax). Lots of stories of the years of people trying to do just what you suggest. Government will find d a way to hammer you if you do. Or you can rot away on a park bench. Taxes are absolutely forced.

I imagine federal lands cost money to maintain as do bodies of water good for fishing so if you're not paying taxes, you're using resources you didn't put some money towards maintaining.

Go to Russia's immense land mass for wilderness.

KLAMarine said:
Razeak said:

I imagine federal lands cost money to maintain as do bodies of water good for fishing so if you're not paying taxes, you're using resources you didn't put some money towards maintaining.

Go to Russia's immense land mass for wilderness.

Correction: federal lands cost money to secure with illegitimate property claims against the common person. The land maintained itself for billions of years before the "United States of America" existed. The state did not homestead the land so they have no legitimate claim to restrict access to others who might.  But please continue with your insufferable state worship. I wonder, how did people hunt and fish before "The United States of America" came in to being?