By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 Finally Passes 18 mil after such a long time!

The Mann said:
Vladez said:
So what? Wii is at 23 Million with a one-year disadvantage

Where did the Wii come from? This thread has nothing to do with Wii it's about 360 hitting 18 million. 

Yeah, there's no need to mention anything about the wii in this particular thread.

Around the Network
Wildcard975 said:
For what I read the first Xbox was killed early due to M$ buying the same CPUs from Intel and same GPU's from Nvidia at the SAME PRICE from launch to its death.

Unlike the PS2 (and now the 360) which over time they can streamline and make cheaper smaller chips and save on production of hardware components.

This is why Microsoft and Nvidia had a falling out over the graphics card on the Xbox. They where charging M$ the same amount for a five year old chip (this part of the reason the xbox was a money pit).

Its been two years and they already made a smaller/cheaper CPU which is saving them manfacturing money and actually selling the 360 at a profit. The new smaller gpu (jasper) will be out this summer, saving them more on production costs. This was not possible on the xbox.

So I think this time around Xbox 360 will have a longer life spand due to them Licensing the Tech from IBM & ATI and being able save on the manufacting cost of the chips.

On the softare side I think they will have some good in the pipe for 2009 & On.

Some that come to mind are probably Mass Effect 2, a new bungie game (they got be working on something now and it will be 2 years since HALO 3), Too Human 2, Bio-schock 2, Forza 3, Team Ninja games (Code Cronos/DOA RPG..Rumored), something from Rare (new Perfect Dark, etc. ) and Lionhead. Some new games from Mistwalker (Cry On or BD2), Infinte Undiscovery (2009).

With all this I think it will reach 40 Million or more.

As far as I remember, the Nvida was sold to MS for the Xbox @ market price, so it was basically what anyone else could get the part @ wholesale...Which is not good, as you have no control over what they charge you. Microsoft has been slow to reduce prices because *gasp* they can make money on a good-selling Xbox 360. Don't get me wrong, MS should drop the price quick, but at the same time, MS has a chance to make good money. If Microsoft makes money this Qtr on the H&E Dept, it'll be the third quarter in a ROW that they've made cash. Coincedence? No. Trust me, the 360 has enough gas (and expecially if MS keeps making cash) to go another 30m units if they wanted to keep developing games for it. If the PS2 can go so long, thanks to Sony, why couldn't the 360?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I am betting same amount of time before it reaches 19 million

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

it wasnt a long time