By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 Review Thread! MC: 84

NawaiNey said:
Kristof81 said:

Seriously? 10 points for nostalgia? Are we still beating that dead horse? Elaborate then, why would the BOTW be in 80s and please, share with us, what titles, deserve that 90+ scoring in your opinion.

I just find it awfully suspicious that it's EXTREMELY rare that a non Zelda/Mario/Metroid Nintendo game ever gets a 90+ score. There's obviously some soft spots for those couple franchises and barring them reviews are able to see nintendo games for how good they actually are rather than how good the times they had with them were.

The developers behind those games are the best in the business.  For example, Bethesda constantly makes open world games yet they are littered with bugs.  BOTW is the first open world game that those devs ever made and the bugs are few and far between.  If you bring up other franchises (luigi's mansion, arms, pikmin, kid icarus, kirby, etc) you will find that the scores tend to be lower.  

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
Nautilus said:

People keep forgetting that the score that OOT received was back when the game launched in 97/98.If you judge the game by today standards its obviously not as good or deserving of such score.Even the remaster got a lower score, and  is sitting at 94, and its only that "high" due to being in a handheld(and a testament of how timeless its design and the overall game is).Its like judging Bioshock today compared to back in its day.When it first launched, it was incredible.Today its still excellent, but dosent have the same impact as it once had, simply because there are games nowadays that built on the concept that Bioschock first started.

I am not judging it by todays standards. I am judging it from when i played it when it first released in 98 lol. Even back then I felt MM was the better game.

Oh right then.Still, you are in the minority.But fair enough, its not like there is a game that will appease everyone.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JakDaSnack said:
NawaiNey said:

I just find it awfully suspicious that it's EXTREMELY rare that a non Zelda/Mario/Metroid Nintendo game ever gets a 90+ score. There's obviously some soft spots for those couple franchises and barring them reviews are able to see nintendo games for how good they actually are rather than how good the times they had with them were.

The developers behind those games are the best in the business.  For example, Bethesda constantly makes open world games yet they are littered with bugs.  BOTW is the first open world game that those devs ever made and the bugs are few and far between.  If you bring up other franchises (luigi's mansion, arms, pikmin, kid icarus, kirby, etc) you will find that the scores tend to be lower.  

Agree, 3D Zelda and 3D Zelda are basically always best from Nintendo.

Miyamotoo said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Nope even back in 98 when I played I felt it was over rated. I was like wow they over looked quite a bit in this game. Zelda MM was better if you ask me and it got a 95. Along with Zelda WW......

Strongly disagree, I also played it back then and I was literally blown away with OoT (not to mention that I had N64 after PS1), and for me its still best game of all time.

I respect that....I know I am in the minority with that. I think I just expected more after all the hype the game had. I feel if anything it should have been a tie with MM....maybe I just loved MM too much lol. Don't get me wrong it was still an AMAZING game I just had a preference for MM over it. But my bad for dragging this thread off topic!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
Miyamotoo said:

Strongly disagree, I also played it back then and I was literally blown away with OoT (not to mention that I had N64 after PS1), and for me its still best game of all time.

I respect that....I know I am in the minority with that. I think I just expected more after all the hype the game had. I feel if anything it should have been a tie with MM....maybe I just loved MM too much lol. Don't get me wrong it was still an AMAZING game I just had a preference for MM over it. But my bad for dragging this thread off topic!

MM came out like 2 years later, I thought you said you played OOT at launch?  At launch OOT was freaking amazing, it introduced the world to z-targeting which is a staple among most 3d games nowadays.  MM improved upon OOT in every way, but it came out later.

Around the Network
NawaiNey said:
Kristof81 said:

Seriously? 10 points for nostalgia? Are we still beating that dead horse? Elaborate then, why would the BOTW be in 80s and please, share with us, what titles, deserve that 90+ scoring in your opinion.

How about Sega's Sonic series. The nostalgia factor didn't help them, did it? Nostalgia doesn't determine the score. If anything it can diminish it as previous games set the bar high and the expectations are high too. These are flagship franchises and there's extra time, effort and money put in every title. They need to make sure that the next game is bigger, better, more exiting. Especially for Nintendo as those titles are the cornerstone of whole company. 

JakDaSnack said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

MM came out like 2 years later, I thought you said you played OOT at launch?  At launch OOT was freaking amazing, it introduced the world to z-targeting which is a staple among most 3d games nowadays.  MM improved upon OOT in every way, but it came out later.

I know MM came out in 2000 I played OoT first when it launched in 98 and I also feel that MM improved on OoT in every way. That's why I didn't get why it scored lower. And I also feel OoT was amazing at launch....not 99 amazing but amazing none the less and loved it. But when I played MM I was like man this is the best Zelda game ever made wow. And still to this day think it is with BOTW right up there with it as the 2nd best Zelda game for me.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
Miyamotoo said:

Of Course opinions, but fact that is still best reviewd game of all times proves it was great game at least back then. For me it was quite difrent, I didnt know about Zelda OoT too much, and actually I had few years PS1 before I got N64 and enjoyed in great games like RE2, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider 1-2, Metal Gear, Twisted Metal...but Zelda OoT literally totally blow me away, it was so difrent and soo good, I remember I couldn't believe that such a game exist on first place. :)      MM was also great game but quite difrent than OoT (MM also earned some kind of cult status among Zelda fans), and OoT again was 1st game so effect was much stronger.

TheBlackNaruto said:
JakDaSnack said:

I know MM came out in 2000 I played OoT first when it launched in 98 and I also feel that MM improved on OoT in every way. That's why I didn't get why it scored lower. And I also feel OoT was amazing at launch....not 99 amazing but amazing none the less and loved it. But when I played MM I was like man this is the best Zelda game ever made wow. And still to this day think it is with BOTW right up there with it as the 2nd best Zelda game for me.

crap, now you got me wanted to play MM but splatoon comes out friday....

TheBlackNaruto said:
JakDaSnack said:

As a newer fan I can confirm Majora's Mask is the better game xD