By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 Review Thread! MC: 84

NintendoPie said:
I wonder for how long will a Nintendo Metascore thread devolve into discussion about BotW and other Zelda Metas.

Still no Horizon comparison so we are still safe 

Ot: Great scores

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:
This clearly just seems to be a franchise the critics don't like anywhere near as much as the public. Both games have extremely low metas for their quality. Of course I understand the first game launched without a lot of features so that was understandable, but this time that's not the case. Though I supposed this time maybe it's more due to the game feeling like Splatoon 1.5 than Splatoon 2.

84% metacritic is pretty high. Although I don't get how single-player only games with short campaigns like Ratchet & Clank get similar scores.

Moderated ~ CGI

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

HyrulianScrolls said:
This clearly just seems to be a franchise the critics don't like anywhere near as much as the public. Both games have extremely low metas for their quality. Of course I understand the first game launched without a lot of features so that was understandable, but this time that's not the case. Though I supposed this time maybe it's more due to the game feeling like Splatoon 1.5 than Splatoon 2.

84 score is still pretty high, and to be fair online focused games are very rarely 9/10 games.

Alkibiádēs said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

84% metacritic is pretty high. Although I don't get how single-player only games with short campaigns like Ratchet & Clank get similar scores.

The same way MK8 gets a higher score despite having even less new over it's predecessors. It's best not to think about it.

-Lonely_Dolphin

Einsam_Delphin said:
Alkibiádēs said:

The same way MK8 gets a higher score despite having even less new over it's predecessors. It's best not to think about it.

-Lonely_Dolphin

But the overall package of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is better than the vanilla version of Mario Kart 8 when that was initially reviewed back in 2014.

Around the Network

3 points over its predecessor is pretty good. Nintendo will have to walk the extra mile regarding single-player campaign, local multiplayer, modes and content at launch if they want better critical reception next time.

This is one of those games where the meta means nothing to me.

Kai_Mao said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

-Lonely_Dolphin

But the overall package of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is better than the vanilla version of Mario Kart 8 when that was initially reviewed back in 2014.

MK8 has an 88 meta, higher than Splatoon 2, despite having less new. MK8D doesn't have much new either, it just brings the game back up to the series standard of actually having a battle mode.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Kai_Mao said:

MK8 has an 88 meta, higher than Splatoon 2, despite having less new. MK8D doesn't have much new either, it just brings the game back up to the series standard of actually having a battle mode.

But vanilla MK8 also didn't have the DLC before. Deluxe not only has the Battle mode but all the DLC and new characters not from the DLC (King Boo, Bowser Jr., and the Inklings). I mean I get the discrepancy between the two but the latter ultimately has the bigger package along with battle mode. 

mid eighties is pretty good for a multiplayer focused game.