5k 3 0.61%

8k, somehow. 13 2.65%

Pixels, I require none. 5 1.02%

None. 2 0.41%

Other. 14 2.85%

Total:491

My pc screen resolution is 768p.

Around the Network

Currently I'm running a 22 inch 16:10 1050p (1680×1050) monitor and plan to upgrade at the end of this year (when I get a new PC) to a 34 inch 21:9 1440p (3440x1440) monitor

I honestly don't currently see the need to go to 4K over 1440p unless you are using like a 32+ inch 16:9 or 40+ inch 21:9 monitor unless you do a lot of creative work on your PC or something. Diminishing returns limit the overall benefits, there still isn't a whole lot of native 4K content, and the performance hit you take from 4K while gaming simply isn't worth it (I'd rather push 100+FPS).

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

Zkuq said:
8K is ridiculous. Even 4K is currently a huge waste for how little it offers.

HDR is apparently where it's at apart from the other two resolutions.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It's funny how people like to brag about their display size...and yet it's never enough.

Just bought a 144hz 1080p panel for online games.

Maybe a few years down the road could see myself upgrading to 144hz 4k.

After experiencing 144hz i feel as though it should be the gold standard for pc gaming. Honesty cant look back.

Around the Network
Panama said:
Just bought a 144hz 1080p panel for online games.

Maybe a few years down the road could see myself upgrading to 144hz 4k.

After experiencing 144hz i feel as though it should be the gold standard for pc gaming. Honesty cant look back.

144hz 4k is the dream. I've heard there is a 4k HDR on the way as well, but it sounds to be quite expensive. 

I've ordered a 165hz 1440p monitor as I couldn't find a decent 1080p one that fit what I was looking for. I imagine I won't be going back either as I've wanted to take the dive for some time now.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

In all seriousness there is very little true 4K media. 8K is pretty much pointless at this point

Turkish said:

You'll wait yeaaaars until you get a 4K HDR Oled monitor for $1000 let alone a 8K one, try again maybe in 2037.

Besides 4K is overrated, people barely see any difference between checkerboarding and da true 4k unless you're less than a meter away and pixel counting. HDR is where it's at and the only place HDR truly shines right now is with consoles. HDR barely works and supported on PC last I heard. Is strange all this hype for 4k but then comes HDR from nothing and is the real next gen upgrade.

"Digital Foundry's videos are pretty good though, when they aren't doing console stuff."

It's pretty much all they produce tho, with maybe some graphics card tests, their consoles videos along with their retro console videos are da best.

But yeah, my next display upgrade would be a 4K HDR OLED TV, heard they're actually also starting to become decent monitors too.

1800P 4K this is true but for 1440P to 4K is night and day

8K won't be that affordable anytime soon.

My TV is 1080p. I'm happy with it. PS4 and WiiU look awesome (Switch MK8 too). But If I get a PS4 Pro then I'd buy a 4K TV.

My computer monitor is an ultrawide 1440p (3440x1440). Better than 4K imo due to the aspect ratio. A 4K ultrawide would be my next monitor but not until it's affordable.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

super_etecoon said:
It's funny how people like to brag about their display size...and yet it's never enough.

Well, there is the car / penis theorem about an inversely proportional correlation in size, it might be the same here.

OT - For PC screens there is no difference for the average person (which actually manages better than 20/20 on visual acuity) beyond around 186 DPI.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/245413698_PC_display_resolution_matched_to_the_limits_of_visual_acuity

Which in turn, is roughly the DPI of a 24 inches 4K screen. For 5K, the minimum size baloons to around 32 inches. For 8K, that would be around 48 inches.

https://www.sven.de/dpi/

So, I doubt there will ever be the need for more than 5K on PC screens - not accounting here for wider displays, which would skew the "5" on 5K towards a higher horizontal resolution.

There won't even be a use for TV screens since at around 4K the maximum distance to notice the resoltion is around or below the diagonal size of the screen, so even if TV screens increase significantly in size, it's very likely viewing distance will proportionaly increase, unless you want a strained neck from looking above or missing detail below your line of sight, depeding how low or high the middle of the screen is positioned.

Not to mention processors are going to run out of litho shrinks and the exponential improvements that came with them, so for gaming and virtual reality, you would possibly be sacrificing some measure of photorealism for imperceptible resolution, since the most powerful consumer GPUs ever conceived will run out of juice before doing both.