5k 3 0.61%

8k, somehow. 13 2.65%

Pixels, I require none. 5 1.02%

None. 2 0.41%

Other. 14 2.85%

Total:491
caffeinade said:
Teeqoz said:
I imagine 8k, or maybe 16k will be the end of increasing resolution. At 16k, even with a 70 inch screen, you'll have as high pixel density as I have on my iphone. And while my iphone isn't the most impressive piece of tech screenwise, it is usually tops 50 cm away from me. Even just by doubling the distance to a meter would mean you got 4 times as many pixels covering the same field of view, and who on earth are only a meter away from their TV?

Maybe someone with obscene amounts of money will do 32k for the luls, but I really don't think you'll be able to tell at that point.

I do find it hard to believe that people will need 32k, and I strongly advocate for 8k.
Though that could just be ignorance.

Higher resolutions will always be strived for in science. Ask any astronomer and they'll tell you that 128k isn't even close to enough. We need gigapixels!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I want ALL THE Ks! I even shop at K-Mart and get my gas from Circle K. My favorite band is Reliant K.

Don't come to Japan.

Circle K is now Family Mart in Japan. (ノ゚ρ゚)ノ

On topic: I always buy devices that are mainstream or a bit behind mainstream, because usually those are most affordable. Right now my TV is 720p (32'') and my PC is 1080p (27''), which, for me, is totally enough.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

My TV is 4K but my PC monitor is 1K (1080P) and all the content I view on my TV is 1080 or lower so I selected that. I'll upgrade my rig to a 1440p display next generation, I don't care about being at the cutting edge, I'd rather get a mid range graphics card and focus on having a good frame rate (at least 60 FPS).

8K will be the last meaningful upgrade circa ~2030, with a 90 degrees field of view, humans can't perceive any more detail.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

vivster said:
caffeinade said:

I do find it hard to believe that people will need 32k, and I strongly advocate for 8k.
Though that could just be ignorance.

Higher resolutions will always be strived for in science. Ask any astronomer and they'll tell you that 128k isn't even close to enough. We need gigapixels!

Yeah, I was talking about consumer level.
I should of clarified though, my bad.

There will be a time when 8K makes sense, but it'll be another generation of 5 of CPU and GPU tech before the majority is on 4K, so 8K is still a long way off.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
vivster said:

Consumers too because higher numbers = better. That's why there are 800Hz TVs.

Trust me, they will easily sell 8K TVs in the near future which will only run 4k content because there isn't 8k content yet. After that they'll sell 16k TVs that will maybe have a bit 8K content.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
caffeinade said:

Trust me, they will easily sell 8K TVs in the near future which will only run 4k content because there isn't 8k content yet. After that they'll sell 16k TVs that will maybe have a bit 8K content.

The human eye can not percieve extra detail past a certain resolution (8K, 90 degrees field of view) so higher numbers does not always equal better.  

Lenny93 said:
vivster said:

The human eye can not percieve extra detail past a certain resolution (8K, 90 degrees field of view) so higher numbers does not always equal better.  

And now tell me that you believe that the average customer cares.

vivster said:
Lenny93 said:

Why would manufacturers invest in a resolution with no percievable gain? And why would consumers purchase TVs with a resolution that leads to no percievable gains? I think they will invest in ultra HDR (if it's a significant improvement) and better image quality. There's a reason we never had HD audio CDs, humans couldn't tell the difference between them and regular CD quality.

Lenny93 said:
vivster said:

Why would manufacturers invest in a resolution with no percievable gain? And why would consumers purchase TVs with a resolution that leads to no percievable gains? I think they will invest in ultra HDR (if it's a significant improvement) and better image quality. There's a reason we never had HD audio CDs, humans couldn't tell the difference between them and regular CD quality.

People constantly buy things they don't need. Even educated consumers buy useless shit because it has bigger numbers at the end. That's how consumerism works. And as long as there are enough idiots buying it, manufacturers will produce it.

There are too many examples to count but remember when cameras in phones had ever more Megapixels? Absolutely useless but the higher the count, the more consumers bought it. The same with RAM in prebuilt PCs or GPUs.