By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is deserving of praise, not criticism, for XBox 1 not having many exclusives

Bandorr said:

Deserving of praise for making their console not worth buying?

Yeah. If you already have a gaming PC then you'll be saving hundreds on not buying an XBox 1.

Bandorr said:

For concentrating more on "exporting" their games instead of coming up with new ones. On their extreme desperate rotation of Forza Halo and gears? No - no praise.

I never asked anyone to praise any of these things.

Bandorr said:

I rather they work on NEW games than all this effort to export their old ones. They are spending more time bringing xbox and xbox 360 games to the Xbox one, and Xbox one games to the PC - than actually just coming up with new games

The former would yield a greater number of XBox titles than the latter and the more powerful hardware means better performance.

Bandorr said:

On top of all that, they are locking it behind the god awfulness that is windows 10 and their store. With very very few of them slowly trickling to Steam.

Here's to either Microsoft getting their shit together on the Windows 10 and store front or more of those games coming to Steam.

Around the Network

Here's the thing. I'm ALL FOR consumer friendly buisness models. And I can agree that what Microsoft is doing is to an extent good for the consumer. However there are so many problems. A ton of people bought Xbox's thinking they would get exclusive content. Now all that's left is Halo. For the first few years, there was obvious miscommunication. I remember thinking as late as December 2015 to early 2016 that Quantum Break and GOW4 would only be on Xbox.

You also have to realize that Microsofts more "consumer friendly" model is extremely limited. Games only on Windows Store. Its terrible.

It is a *good step* but it loses incemtive for people and it isnt as consumer friendly as it should be. It would be cool to see MS games on ps4(besides Minecraft), but i can understand why they wouldnt do that

Yes, let's praise microsoft for cashing out the xbox brand by essentially turning it into a steambox that only runs uwp games and pushes microsofts shitty online store only for pc gamers running windows 10 or higher and not releasing them jointly on better services like GOG or Steam.

All while smiling with a middle finger held up to the faces of every xbox one owner who already had a gaming pc, or upgraded from the launch console to Xbox one s, or who invested into the promise of kinect 2 only for it to become useless with even a bunch of ui features that made use of if being removed, reducing it to little more than an expensive xbl card scanner. 

.. No thanks

Normchacho said:
KLAMarine said:

With all due respect, I believe it is you who has missed the point of my original post as I was not criticizing criticism of the quality of Microsoft software.

Alright, ignore the word quality in my post. They just aren't putting out that many games. It doesn't matter if they come to PC or not. There output just isn't really praise worthy.

Would make a more compelling criticism to me then.

Farsala said:
Well then, they should put all their games on PS4, Switch and 3DS as well. Consumers would love it, and I would certainly praise them.

I wonder if they already offered, but on the condition of their Xbox live to come with it and so Sony+ Nintendo declined.

Would be swell but this business doesn't operate that way...

Captain_Yuri said:
Here's a question since we are sorta on topic. How many people on vgc even have a gaming PC? Cause Forza horizon 3 isn't exactly gonna run on a toaster even on low settings...

I have a gaming PC

Around the Network

I think it's great. I buy their games on Steam. No need for a Xbox.

Except when they try to force Windows Store. This will never work...

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

twintail said:
KLAMarine said:

What's the deal with people complaining instead of praising?

Because their Play Anywhere scheme forces me to have to buy games on the Windows store and not through Steam.

Nothing to praise about that.

At least the PS4/ PC games are on steam, making even something like cross play way superior. 

According to https://news.xbox.com/2016/09/15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-xbox-play-anywhere/ , "When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost ". Sounds to me like the XBox store is a valid alternative to the Windows store.

twintail said:
KLAMarine said:

According to https://news.xbox.com/2016/09/15/everything-you-need-to-know-about-xbox-play-anywhere/ , "When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost ". Sounds to me like the XBox store is a valid alternative to the Windows store.

The benefit is i get 2 versions? 

Your OP states it's a benefit that you don't need an X1.

having no compatibility with steam is the issue for me 

Well then hopefully Microsoft's attempts to bring what would otherwise be X1 exclusives to PC will ultimately either make them fix the Windows Store or bring the games to Steam. Ideally both.

KLAMarine said:

I often come across the complaint that many XBox 1 games that would have otherwise been exclusives are also put on PC thus rendering them non-exclusives and I'm wondering why people complain?

Does a game being available on more than one platform not make it more readily available to people thus benefiting the consumer? Is the abilty to play a game on more than one configuration not a good thing? PS4 and Switch exclusives can only be played on their respective platforms but with XBox1/PC, you have more choice.

Online gaming on PC is free last I checked so you don't even need to pay a subscription fee to play these games online. Microsoft undermines their own efforts to charge for online multiplayer by making their otherwise-XBox 1 exclusive games also available on PC.

Already got a gaming PC? Great! No need to buy an XBox 1 and we the consumers win but I cannot recall any time wherein Microsoft has received rightful praise for their pro-consumer policy of making their software available on XBox 1 AND PC rather than just locking their software to one box.

What's the deal with people complaining instead of praising?

Surely it depends on the context of the discussion as to whether it should be praised or criticised.

If you are talking about accessibility of games, then obviously the more platforms a game is on the better, so praise be to Microsoft.

If you are talking about the future success of Xbox hardware, then a lack of true Xbox exclusives is surely a point of criticism that puts the Xbox hardware brand on a less secure footing. So boo Microsoft, I guess.

If you are talking about what's best for Microsoft revenue and profits, it's likely that maximising the games available on Windows PC is better for MS. The increased access to 3rd party games on Linux and Mac (with Steam being on both OS's now) is a bigger threat to MS's future revenue and profits than PS or Nintendo hardware ever will be. MS has a substantial financial interest in putting games on Windows PC that are not available on Linux or Mac. So, if you are a MS shareholder then praise be MS here too.

I wonder how much it would screw with MS if Sony started making its library available exclusively on Linux PCs. I guess also look out for Apple being about to buy Sony if PS games start appearing on the MAC.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Because console warz