By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. July bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Yeah Nintendo screwed themselves putting themselves up against apple for components. They won't solve this issue anytime soon.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Yeah Nintendo screwed themselves putting themselves up against apple for components. They won't solve this issue anytime soon.

Well given the design of the system, they had very few options with regards to storage.  Not much you can do about that.  And there has never been, as far as I know, such a shortage.  This seems like a perfect storm scenario.

Nuvendil said:
Pagan said:

Yes i dont get it also. I thought the stock is up but it is still the same price.

Both got stock refreshes for Prime members only.  They sold out rather quickly, though the Grey managed to stay in stock for I believe most of a day.  But the Switch is selling at 400 to 420, enough to consistently have a SKU in the top 20 and another in the top 40.

So why was the $420 SKU ranked in the 12-15 range before? The price went to $299 and it shot to #1. Then the price went back up to $420 but it stayed at #1. You see what I mean by the ranking being dubious? Why did people not buy as many $420 bundles in the past months?

Nuvendil said:
Kerotan said:

Well given the design of the system, they had very few options with regards to storage.  Not much you can do about that.  And there has never been, as far as I know, such a shortage.  This seems like a perfect storm scenario.

Lower-than-expected yields for the new process:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170705PD214.html

Even Apple can't get enough components - 30% less than required.

Lawlight said:
Nuvendil said:

Both got stock refreshes for Prime members only.  They sold out rather quickly, though the Grey managed to stay in stock for I believe most of a day.  But the Switch is selling at 400 to 420, enough to consistently have a SKU in the top 20 and another in the top 40.

So why was the $420 SKU ranked in the 12-15 range before? The price went to $299 and it shot to #1. Then the price went back up to $420 but it stayed at #1. You see what I mean by the ranking being dubious? Why did people not buy as many $420 bundles in the past months?

I don't think anyone really knows.  Some speculate that it's just because the Switch sold so much, so quickly, it kinda messes up the rankings.  Some have speculated that maybe people signing up to get a notification about it being in stock may go towards those rankings.

I do know that I have not seen an item perform like the Switch when it is first sold out.  They may stay high for an hour or two, but they then start to drop down relatively quickly til they are either out of the charts altogether or have dropped down to its new position.  The Switch seems to take a day or two befor it starts to really drop.  It has usually been resting between #20 and #40, so it is still doing well for something being sold for a $100 premium.

So, while I can't really trust the hourly rankings fully, I still expect Switch to take July.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Nuvendil said:

Lower-than-expected yields for the new process:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170705PD214.html

Even Apple can't get enough components - 30% less than required.

Yeah, that will just clear up with time as the process and production facilities expand and adjust.

thismeintiel said:
Lawlight said:

I don't think anyone really knows.  Some speculate that it's just because the Switch sold so much, so quickly, it kinda messes up the rankings.  Some have speculated that maybe people signing up to get a notification about it being in stock may go towards those rankings.

I do know that I have not seen an item perform like the Switch when it is first sold out.  They may stay high for an hour or two, but they then start to drop down relatively quickly til they are either out of the charts altogether or have dropped down to its new position.  The Switch seems to take a day or two befor it starts to really drop.  It has usually been resting between #20 and #40, so it is still doing well for something being sold for a $100 premium.

So, while I can't really trust the hourly rankings fully, I still expect Switch to take July.

The current understanding of rankings is indeed that it doesn't adjust on a dime hour to hour, but rather sort of tracks trends.  If something shoots to the top by a significant enough margin, it will hang there for a while, especially if it continues to sell through 3rd party retailers.  The Switch probably has more hang time for that exact reason.  Most products marked up by $100+ can barely stay in the top 100 at the best of times, most falling way down out of the rankings.  But because the Switch is selling so well at that mark up, it stretches out that time at #1.  That's why hourly charts are more indicators of demand and immediate trends rather than overall sales for any extended period.  The yearly and monthly charts reflect that much better.

WTF! KH is not in the top 100 when it was just in the 40's hours ago. People must have bought it so much after the price glitch that it shot through the roof and above #1.

Rob5VGC said:
WTF! KH is not in the top 100 when it was just in the 40's hours ago. People must have bought it so much after the price glitch that it shot through the roof and above #1.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (limited edition) #13

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX #14

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue #32

Also kinda surprised to see a PS4pro at #21 (1tb glacial white 449$ model),  ahead of the #27 PS4slim (264$), when the normal PS4pro is #84.

JRPGfan said:
Rob5VGC said:

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (limited edition) #13

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX #14

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue #32

Also kinda surprised to see a PS4pro at #21 (1tb glacial white 449$ model),  ahead of the #27 PS4slim (264$), when the normal PS4pro is #84.

It's limited edition and bundled with a pretty hyped game. I would be concerned if it didn't rise fairly high.

Tagged