By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Apparently Link's Awakening is being made by Grezzo, which means Mario Maker 2 is the only game this year actually produced by EPD.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/337996-eiji-aonuma-s-team-is-handling-development-on-zelda-breath-of-th

I mean, I can't complain cos there is a metric fuckton of games coming to Switch this year, but Nintendo's core studios aren't being very produtive of late. In fact, looking at their gameography, EPD have not released a big-budget new game since Mario Odyssey in 2017.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 June 2019

Around the Network

EPD had a megaton year in 2017. That year, they released Odyssey, Breath of the Wild + the DLC, and Splatoon 2, three of their big , top tier IPs and system sellers. (Not to mention all the smaller stuff they had the last two years like ARMS and Labo.) It’s unrealistic and unreasonable to expect those teams to just pump out games of that calibur and level every 1-2 years. Big projects and games of that calibur and status takes a lot time and we already know what two of them are up to. The Breath of the Wild team is obviously working on the sequel, the Splatoon 2 team is working on Animal Crossing: New Horizons. (Both franchises are done by the same team.) That just leaves the Odyssey team working on whatever the next 3D Mario game is (Assuming they’re not the same team making or at least partially responsible behind Mario Maker 2.) It hasn’t even been two years since Odyssey came out. Whatever they have cooking will be ready to be shown when it’s ready, and considering how this is Mario we’re talking about, I don’t think we have anything to worry about.

curl-6 said:

Apparently Link's Awakening is being made by Grezzo, which means Mario Maker 2 is the only game this year actually produced by EPD.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/337996-eiji-aonuma-s-team-is-handling-development-on-zelda-breath-of-th

I mean, I can't complain cos there is a metric fuckton of games coming to Switch this year, but Nintendo's core studios aren't being very produtive of late. In fact, looking at their gameography, EPD have not released a big-budget new game since Mario Odyssey in 2017.

To be honest, I don't think that's much of a problem. The way Nintendo has handled game development for a while now, a lot of their IPs are handled by third party studios or studios which are technically not a part of their main development teams. Yet, the result of the games remain the same, and they're still associated as much with Nintendo as their other main titles. An obvious example is Smash Brothers. 

Besides, Nintendo EPD is making Mario Maker 2, co-developing Link's Awakening, and originally Animal Crossing was supposed to come out this year. So really, in the time frame of just over a year they're already releasing two huge titles and co-developing one of them. I don't think that's bad at all. 

If anything, it makes me a little bit more excited to see the future of the Switch. I've been very critical of Nintendo for their droughts, and I don't think they should be excused (December 2017 - March 2018, December 2018 - April 2019, and even then both of those just received a smaller title by said month, often it felt like it went on another 2-3 months beyond that). But, it's no secret that Nintendo home consoles have often had an issue with extending their library past the 2nd or 3rd year. Sometimes even when there was a lot of software to buy, if that software wasn't big enough it didn't stop sales from falling drastically. So, releasing games consistently by using other developers aside from EPD, while EPD works on the huge heavy hitters, makes a lot of sense to me. If anything, it's cool to see that Nintendo can rely on other developers to make releases as important as Luigi's Mansion 3 and the like. 

So I'm fine with EPD working on 3-4 big titles while they let their other 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party devs handle the other games for them. Making consistent, quality releases that have a big impact is how you'll get a sales curve more comparable to something like the DS. 

CaptainExplosion said:

I wonder what Monolith Soft is doing right now.

Probably working on a game. 

Pokemon Sword/Shield were the most pre-ordered Nintendo games during E3 at GameStop.

1. Call of Duty Modern Warfare
2. Pokemon Sword/Shield
3. Final Fantasy VII Remake
4. Cyberpunk 2077
5. Borderlands 3
6. Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)
7. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
8. Gears 5
9. Super Mario Maker 2
10. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled

https://nintendoeverything.com/pokemon-sword-shield-zelda-links-awakening-mario-maker-2-among-gamestops-most-pre-ordered-titles-for-e3-2019/

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yeah, but I'd like to know what kind of game.

I might have the video just for you :)

1) One team is working on BOTW 2 with Nin EPD.

2) Another is working on the next Xeno title (be it Chronicles 3 or X2)

3) Another one is most likely devolopping a New IP based on the concept arts that we saw.

4) Kyoto's team is helping other Nintendo teams with their projects (example : Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing New Leaf, etc ...). It is possible that it is working with the Splatoon/AC devs on New Horizons right now.

Man, Monolith is putting in some serious work.

I was thinking as high as a mid 90's meta for Mario Maker 2, however it seems clunky creator controls in docked mode have been a common complaint, so I'm wondering if that's gonna end up dragging down review scores of what looks like a nearly perfect game otherwise.

Well, the "multiple Switches per household" thing has come true in my household at least; my little brother got tired of having to share my Switch and me not letting him take it on the go, so he has just bought his own.

EB Games had a big discount with the Switch marked down to $400 AUD, so he took the plunge.

This is a guy who by the way has a gaming PC stronger than an Xbox One X.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 June 2019

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

Well, the "multiple Switches per household" thing has come true in my household at least; my little brother got tired of having to share my Switch and me not letting him take it on the go, so he has just bought his own.

EB Games had a big discount with the Switch marked down to $400 AUD, so he took the plunge.

I might get a second Switch just for Pokemon Sword and Shield.

I don't understand, why would you need two Switches for that?

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Nice to see how your household has transformed from "after the Wii U there's no trust for Nintendo's next console" to multiple units being present.

Usually I'd expect a situation of multiple units for a household only to happen to after price cuts and/or revisions, but your brother isn't lacking in his gaming budget when he has such a powerful gaming PC.

He has a good income, he just has trouble saving up for anything big as he is a compulsive spender haha, I had to help him out a little by hanging onto some of his money for him so he couldn't spend it; with both his PC and now his Switch he's send me say $50 every time he got paid and when he had enough I'd give it to him.

I let him play on my Switch at home, but he really wanted to play on the go, and I wouldn't let him do that with mine cos I was worried he would lose it. 

So far he's got Fire Emblem Warriors, Starlink, Let's Go Eevee, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and a bunch of old school 2D shoot-em-ups from the Neo Geo and other retro systems.

Going forwards, he's planning on picking up Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain, Daemon x Machina, and God Eater 3.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 June 2019