By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Doe it really matter if God exists or not...?

I am

Theist 96 20.25%

Atheist 178 37.55%

Agnostic 96 20.25%

Spiritual but non theist 29 6.12%

Other 32 6.75%

God. 43 9.07%

Total:474
John2290 said:

As humans we are bound by our senses, the only thing we will ever know for certain is that we exist and objectivity can't be obtained from such subjectivity. Heck, Objectivity didn't exist itself until Atlus shrugged and was itself borne from the authors subjectivity. That being, the only thing we know is "I am" ...the very definition of God. hmm. What a game this is, what a game.

You seem to be addressing the a posteriori aspects of what can be evaluated. You also would appreciate Kant's Transcendental Idealism and his conception of the Noumena.

However you seem to have misunderstood what can be known a priori. For instance, we have some very important logical axioms - laws which allow us to evaluate logical propositions. These are known as follows:

Law of identity - I know that an object is itself.

Law of noncontradiction - I know that an object cannot both be itself and not be itself simultaneously.

Law of the excluded middle term - Either a proposition is true or it is not true, there are no alternative valuations.

I know that square circles are not possible.

I know that in a possible Universe where all objects are green that no red objects exist.

I know that all bachelors are unmarried.

The religious want us to believe that it matters because of some notion of an afterlife rather than because it is actually true. This, in my estimation, is their greatest folly. You'll no doubt have encountered individuals who, when confronted, will fall victim to the dubious contention of Pascal and his wager. It's an admission that their position is not based upon reason and evidence, but based upon a perceived reward / outcome.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
JWeinCom said:

Just going by the name they give it.  I know that recently they've been discovering a lot of it has some use, but that's still new research.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the human genome only refers to the protien coding portion of DNA.

No, the human genome refers to all DNA. That paper identifies 80% of all DNA as being involved in at least one biochemical reaction although it also includes parts of the genome that may have a very minor effect.

The paper is part of ENCODE. The ENCODE project is a woldwide project that aims to discover all functionaility within the human genome and the first data was released in 2010. It's about to enter its next phase so we should hopefully have a pretty good idea of what all our DNA does within the next 10 years.

Alright.  Thanks for the clarification.

o_O.Q said:
JWeinCom said:

the thing is from the line of reasoning you've been using i could argue that this is not really true... i could claim that all human observations are in fact subjective and biased due to our limitations 

for example yes we observe that objects fall to the ground, but for all we know what ever causes gravitation to occur could turn off tomorrow and we'd have to completely reassess our understanding of our environment

but of course we don't do this... we do say that some things we observe have occured so many times unaffected by changing variables that we conclude that they are part of objective reality and we use that as foundation to work from

The difference is our body of evidence.  We have literally trillions of examples of gravity working, and no examples of gravity failing.  And, it is incredibly easy to devise an experiment where we can isolate and test for gravity.  You could probably say that we can't 100% prove that gravity will always work, but based on our body of evidence it would be absurd to expect anything else.

We don't have this body of evidence for civilization and morality.  If I wanted to, I could test to see if gravity works at least 1000 times in the next hour. I could easily isolate gravity via experiment, but there are thousands of interacting factors, and it could take us years, decades, or centuries to truly examine how one factor effects civilization.

You can say that all human observations are biased due to our limitations, but not to the same degree.  Our limitations don't impede us all that much in analyzing gravity, especially since we have tools that can measure its impact in a purely objective manner.  So we can be practically 100% certain about that.  Our limitations in analyzing society itself are incredibly inhibiting, so we can't get anywhere near that degree of certainty.  That's why nobody really disputes gravity, and we have billions of moral disputes each day.

there have been many tales through the century all with common themes - osiris, isis, horus |  nimrod, semaramis, tammuz  | zeus , hera , hercules etc etc etc

all were used to communicate an objective standard for how people and societies should conduct themselves

as i said an idea can be sound but the delivery of that idea because of our limitations can be flawed... as i've stated many times that does not invalidate the idea

If your claim is that god makes objective morality possible, then there needs to be a reliable mechanism to transmit that morality.  If we can't transmit the message in an objective fashion, then objective morality is not possible.  By definition.  It doesn't matter where the flaw is.  

you stated that we can make objective observations of the world... well how then do you reconcile that with people who think the earth is flat or hollow or that we never went to the moon or whatever? does the fact that some people go astray invalidate the observation? i'm sure you'd say not

It again comes to the body of evidence.  We can demonstrate that the world is round.  We do it every day when planes fly or we see a ship coming up on the horizon, when we take photos of the earth, when we send up satellites etc.  The round Earth model is sufficient and neccessary to explain why these things work.  The flat Earth model is not.  Which is why there is overwhelming agreement in the scientific and lay community on this.

When given the evidence people reach the same conclusion well over 99% of the time.  If I send out a message and it's interpretted correctly by nearly every recipient, then I can confidently conclude the recipient is the problem.  

and in the sense of their core values they are as i stated

Sure.  You stated it.  I'm not really interested in what you state without evidence.

Let's stick with science.  People may arrive at these values (which I don't think are core to christianity at any rate) through religion, or through other means like secular methods or just plain chance.

Religion is one possible method.  No argument there.  But if we want to claim it is the best method, we would have to do a study.  We would have to compare the treatment group (the group that is exposed to religion) to the control group (the group not exposed to religion) to see if the treatment group gets to the same moral values with greater frequency.

Even if we don't go to the effort of making a study, we have enough data to make an informed opinion.  Based on sectarian divisions, sectarian violence, the prison rate of religious people vs atheists, and the quality of life differences between religious and non religious nations, I'd say there is a strong case to be made that religion does not do a good job of conveying morals. 

If you wanted to claim that religion objectively conveys morality, you'd need to take it a step further and show that religion leads to the same moral system nearly 100% of the time.  

i wonder what matt dillahunty would say about differences in conclusions between scientists?

I can't speak for him, but I would imagine he would say something along these lines.  Science has consistently shown itself to be the most reliable method to get to truth.  Since our methods are flawed, the process is not infallible.  That is why we have corrective mechanisms, such as the peer review process, that helps us reach the best possible conclusion based on our current knowledge.

isn't buying what game you think is best personal choice? anyway what does this have to do with weighing different opinions between people?

But that's not what I'm doing in this example.  I am not buying the game I think is best, I'm buying the game I think my nephew will like best.

My goal is to give my nephew as much enjoyment as possible.  He will get more enjoyment out of one game than the other.  This is an objective fact (ignoring the possibility that he likes them both the same).  

I don't have perfect knowledge of my nephew's inner workings, or the games themselves, so I can not objectively determine which game he'll like better.  That leaves me with two subjective options.  I think he will enjoy Zelda more, or I think he will enjoy Horizon more.  By weighing the evidence I have (data about my nephew) I could pick which of the subjective options will most likely get me to my goal.

a better outcome? didn't you previously completely throw out the idea that there's a better outcome?

No.  Assuming we agree on the standard or goal we want to achieve, then there can be objectively better or worse outcomes.  

If, for instance, we're doctors and we agree our goal is to keep a patient alive as long as possible, we might suggest two different courses of action to treat them. 

The patient will live longer with one treatment than the other, so one choice is objectively better. But our opinion on which option is better is subjective, since we can not predict the future.  By analyzing the data to the best of our ability, we are more likely to choose the better of our subjective choices and get to the better objectively better outcome (the patient living longer).

what's the point of worrying about it if you don't think the data is actually taking you to an objectively better standard?

Assuming we agree to the following statement "We want as many as people as possible to be able to live the best life possible as they define it", then we have a clear objective goal.  From there, we have opinions (by definition subjective) on how we can reach that goal.  

Naturally, I think my opinions on how we should act are the ones that will get us closest to this goal.  That's why I hold them.  But they're still subjective.  If they weren't, I would have no reason to try to learn about morality or to discuss morality ever again.

If you don't agree with that initial statement, then we are indeed at an impasse and it's pointless to discuss anything related to morality.

Edit:  At any rate, I think we're just going to go in circles here, so I'll just leave it at that.  It was a nice conversation even if I don't agree with you.  Later.

"Assuming we agree to the following statement "We want as many as people as possible to be able to live the best life possible as they define it", then we have a clear objective goal."

i suppose to end with i'm just wondering how you think its possible to have a society without this... i mean otherwise it should be obvious that you can't have a society

...why do you think we have police? do you not realise that the society you live in has to have some type of foundation that we do in fact treat objectively for people to work with?

You can treat people objectively based on a subjective system.  If I was king of the universe and I made the decree, "everyone who eats seaweed shall be put to death" I can have that decree carried out objetively.  As long as my police kill every single person I catch eating seaweed and don't kill anyone who does not, I am carrying out my decree objectively. The opinion of my police force in no way influence how the law is carried out.   But, my criteria is still entirely subjective.  Just like police a half a century or so ago would have objectively carried out segregation laws based on the subjective position that blacks and whites should be seperated.

If our laws were objectively right, then why would they ever need to be changed?  Why would we have a system in place to evaluate and interpret them?  The laws  (ideally) represent our collective, and subjective, best attempt at a codified system of morality.  But, they're not objective.

Back to the original point though, if police and laws can serve the foundation in place of religion, why does it matter if god exists?

JWeinCom said:
Scoobes said:

No, the human genome refers to all DNA. That paper identifies 80% of all DNA as being involved in at least one biochemical reaction although it also includes parts of the genome that may have a very minor effect.

The paper is part of ENCODE. The ENCODE project is a woldwide project that aims to discover all functionaility within the human genome and the first data was released in 2010. It's about to enter its next phase so we should hopefully have a pretty good idea of what all our DNA does within the next 10 years.

o_O.Q said:

"Assuming we agree to the following statement "We want as many as people as possible to be able to live the best life possible as they define it", then we have a clear objective goal."

i suppose to end with i'm just wondering how you think its possible to have a society without this... i mean otherwise it should be obvious that you can't have a society

...why do you think we have police? do you not realise that the society you live in has to have some type of foundation that we do in fact treat objectively for people to work with?

You can treat people objectively based on a subjective system.  If I was king of the universe and I made the decree, "everyone who eats seaweed shall be put to death" I can have that decree carried out objetively.  As long as my police kill every single person I catch eating seaweed and don't kill anyone who does not, I am carrying out my decree objectively. The opinion of my police force in no way influence how the law is carried out.   But, my criteria is still entirely subjective.  Just like police a half a century or so ago would have objectively carried out segregation laws based on the subjective position that blacks and whites should be seperated.

If our laws were objectively right, then why would they ever need to be changed?  Why would we have a system in place to evaluate and interpret them?  The laws  (ideally) represent our collective, and subjective, best attempt at a codified system of morality.  But, they're not objective.

Back to the original point though, if police and laws can serve the foundation in place of religion, why does it matter if god exists?

"If our laws were objectively right, then why would they ever need to be changed?"

i didn't say that our laws are objectively right... we'd have to be living in a utopia for that to be the case... i was simply using that as an example that we do have laws in place in society that are predicated under the understanding that one way of being is better than other ways of being ( a notion that you have denied several times now )... and if we didn't have them then we wouldn't have a society since there needs to be some kind of understanding between all people of a society that ties them together

"if police and laws can serve the foundation in place of religion, why does it matter if god exists?"

i didn't say that they do, i was using them as an example that we do have laws in place in society that are predicated under the understanding that one way of being is better than other ways of being ( a notion that you have denied several times now )

beyond that the foundation that we use to operate in the world has to be something that transcends the limited scope of man that everyone can partake in and observe for themselves...

otherwise you quite clearly can't have a society, because to have a society you have to provide a basis that everyone can be involved in or at least those who want to aid in the construction of the society and not just a small subsection of the society ( which is all you can appeal to with a subjective viewpoint )

for example, i wouldn't use the life experiences of one man to determine moral values for a population but i would use something we can all attest to that seems to transcend us such as love, rage, togetherness etc etc etc because these are states we all experience and understand to some extent and they appear to be constant with regards to their relationship to the human experience

that is why the civilisations from earlier times assigned gods to these states of being and built stories around them based on observations of the best ways people can live in the world

i think where you are misunderstaning me is that you think i'm reffering to god as the personal god of the christian religion and that's not the case... my conception of god is those aspects of reality that appear to defy our limitations such as the emotions i mentioned before... beyond that they appear to be at the heart of a lot of the old stories that made up the foundation for moral values in all of the civilisations we've known about

for example... i'm coming around to the idea that the story of adam and eve was really a metaphor for man gaining intelligence possibly through the evolutionary process signified as satan and the consequences that came about as a result such as not living in harmony with nature as the other animals do etc etc etc

i think the old stories actually have a lot of wisdom contained in them metaphorically but for whatever reason we've lost some of the ability to decipher them properly

o_O.Q said:
JWeinCom said:

"If our laws were objectively right, then why would they ever need to be changed?"

i didn't say that our laws are objectively right... we'd have to be living in a utopia for that to be the case... i was simply using that as an example that we do have laws in place in society that are predicated under the understanding that one way of being is better than other ways of being ( a notion that you have denied several times now )... and if we didn't have them then we wouldn't have a society since there needs to be some kind of understanding between all people of a society that ties them together

"if police and laws can serve the foundation in place of religion, why does it matter if god exists?"

i didn't say that they do, i was using them as an example that we do have laws in place in society that are predicated under the understanding that one way of being is better than other ways of being ( a notion that you have denied several times now )

beyond that the foundation that we use to operate in the world has to be something that transcends the limited scope of man that everyone can partake in and observe for themselves...

otherwise you quite clearly can't have a society, because to have a society you have to provide a basis that everyone can be involved in or at least those who want to aid in the construction of the society and not just a small subsection of the society ( which is all you can appeal to with a subjective viewpoint )

for example, i wouldn't use the life experiences of one man to determine moral values for a population but i would use something we can all attest to that seems to transcend us such as love, rage, togetherness etc etc etc because these are states we all experience and understand to some extent and they appear to be constant with regards to their relationship to the human experience

that is why the civilisations from earlier times assigned gods to these states of being and built stories around them based on observations of the best ways people can live in the world

i think where you are misunderstaning me is that you think i'm reffering to god as the personal god of the christian religion and that's not the case... my conception of god is those aspects of reality that appear to defy our limitations such as the emotions i mentioned before... beyond that they appear to be at the heart of a lot of the old stories that made up the foundation for moral values in all of the civilisations we've known about

for example... i'm coming around to the idea that the story of adam and eve was really a metaphor for man gaining intelligence possibly through the evolutionary process signified as satan and the consequences that came about as a result such as not living in harmony with nature as the other animals do etc etc etc

i think the old stories actually have a lot of wisdom contained in them metaphorically but for whatever reason we've lost some of the ability to decipher them properly

I see no reason to call those emotions god.  We have a word for love.  It's love.  We have a word for rage.  It's rage.  Calling these things god needlessly complicates things.  If we're not talking about god as an actual being, whether or not that's the god of Christianity, we're talking about entirely different things.

Other than that I agree with most of what you said.  People obviously created these stories to express moral values.  But that doesn't make them objective or good, and it doesn't make god necessary.

I am just coming in to say that it matter to some and not to others. It matters to me because I firmly believe that he is real. And me it comes from my faith and my faith alone.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:

"My insistence that you don't change words is not silly word play.  I don't see how this contradicts anything else I said. "

its silly word play and a contradiction because you have conceded that some behaviors are objectively better than others (my mistake it appears you haven't, you just resorted to trying to argue that being unfit can be better than being fit apparently)

"Even if it's the closest we can get to objective, it is nowhere near objective."

so... therefore, you are claiming that objective reality does not exist

if you are dismissing whatever methods we have devised to be as close as possible to objectivity is that not the same as saying that objectivity is not possible?

what about the scientific method? is that nowhere near objective also? ( well it has to be since its the same thing )

"I have no idea what objective reality has to do with this.  We can have objective reality without objective morality."

the methods we use to determine both (repetitive observations over a long period of time) are the same

i'm serously curious with regards to whether you consider our scientific experimentation to be objective and why if you do, that should be interesting

"Best is a subjective term that would require evidence.  It's your claim, the burden of proof is yours."

as i said the proof is history and all of the civilisations that reached the height of prosperity with the aid of moral systems involving the concepts of gods : Egypt, Mesopothamia, Rome, Greece etc etc etc

every single successful civilisation we have known about where mankind flourished had god or gods at its center

those with humanism at their core such as the soviet union resulted only in suffering

"I did not agree with that at all..."

lol i never thought i'd see someone try to argue that being unfit can be better than being fit... its interesting i suppose

so how far are you willing to take this? are you willing to claim that all values are subjective and therefore no state of being is better than another state of being? (or in other words a dismissal of objectivity)

"Ok.  So, you agree that this is not objective morality?"

um... i just explained this... to reiterate, the method of communication for a message can deteriorate while the message itself still retains its value

i'd just like to add as an aside that its quite interesting that some of the same people i see here rallying aggressively against the idea of objective morality will debate about how bad someone(like trump) is for their behaviors in other threads... its a bizarre contradiction but interesting at least

if its all subjective... how can you assess the behavior of other people?

so... therefore, you are claiming that objective reality does not exist if you are dismissing whatever methods we have devised to be as close as possible to objectivity is that not the same as saying that objectivity is not possible?

what about the scientific method? is that nowhere near objective also? ( well it has to be since its the same thing )

No.  I was claiming that it has not been demonstrated that objective morality exists.  If the best method we've devised doesn't get us there, that either means it doesn't exist, or our methods are flawed.

the methods we use to determine both (repetitive observations over a long period of time) are the same

i'm serously curious with regards to whether you consider our scientific experimentation to be objective and why if you do, that should be interesting

It depends what you mean.  If the studies are done properly, the data an experiment yields should be objective.  Then that data has to be interpreted.  The interpretation is always going to have some degree of subjectivity (except in hard sciences I really don't know much about them). 

Scientists with the same pool of data can (and do) create entirely different models to explain it.  

as i said the proof is history and all of the civilisations that reached the height of prosperity with the aid of moral systems involving the concepts of gods : Egypt, Mesopothamia, Rome, Greece etc etc etc

every single successful civilisation we have known about where mankind flourished had god or gods at its center

those with humanism at their core such as the soviet union resulted only in suffering

There has never been a war between two countries that have a McDonalds in their borders.  Does that mean McDonalds is responsible for peace?  Correlation does not mean causation.  If successful societies have had religion, that does not mean religion caused it.  Especially considering that most of the shitty societies also had religion.

Cambodia, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Syria, Bangledesh, Niger, The Congo, and the Phillipines are states that have religion and are awful in terms of human rights and quality of life.  Sweeden, Denmark, Israel, Canada, UK, Australia, and Japan are mostly secular countries that are doing very well in terms of human rights and quality of life.  So, it's quite possible for a society to thrive without religious morality.

So, there's a lot more work to be done if you want to claim religion is responsible for the success of those states.

um... i just explained this... to reiterate, the method of communication for a message can deteriorate while the message itself still retains its value

A message only has value if it can be communicated.

Going back to your example, lets say you say it to me a mile away.  As I head back to you, you are mauled by a bear.  Your toungue is ripped out, your eyes are plucked out, and your body is completely and totally paralyzed.  You have absolutely no way to communicate the message.

What is the value of your message now to anyone who is not you?  How can anyone even claim the message exists?  Likewise, if nobody can demonstrate or communicate objective morality, how can we claim it exists?

i'd just like to add as an aside that its quite interesting that some of the same people i see here rallying aggressively against the idea of objective morality will debate about how bad someone(like trump) is for their behaviors in other threads... its a bizarre contradiction but interesting at least

By subjective criteria. We look at the data and come to the best supported ideas about the best way for a president to act.  And we judge based on that.  And since it's subjective, we wind up with people having differing opinions. 

Objective Morality exists, but no human is capable of being objectively moral.

Also morals are a fluid, they change over time and over a society's experience. What is morally acceptable today, may not be so in future and visa versa.

What are your examples of things you believe to be morally objective?

CartBlanche said:
JWeinCom said:

so... therefore, you are claiming that objective reality does not exist if you are dismissing whatever methods we have devised to be as close as possible to objectivity is that not the same as saying that objectivity is not possible?

No.  I was claiming that it has not been demonstrated that objective morality exists.  If the best method we've devised doesn't get us there, that either means it doesn't exist, or our methods are flawed.

It depends what you mean.  If the studies are done properly, the data an experiment yields should be objective.  Then that data has to be interpreted.  The interpretation is always going to have some degree of subjectivity (except in hard sciences I really don't know much about them). 

Scientists with the same pool of data can (and do) create entirely different models to explain it.  

There has never been a war between two countries that have a McDonalds in their borders.  Does that mean McDonalds is responsible for peace?  Correlation does not mean causation.  If successful societies have had religion, that does not mean religion caused it.  Especially considering that most of the shitty societies also had religion.

Cambodia, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Syria, Bangledesh, Niger, The Congo, and the Phillipines are states that have religion and are awful in terms of human rights and quality of life.  Sweeden, Denmark, Israel, Canada, UK, Australia, and Japan are mostly secular countries that are doing very well in terms of human rights and quality of life.  So, it's quite possible for a society to thrive without religious morality.

So, there's a lot more work to be done if you want to claim religion is responsible for the success of those states.

A message only has value if it can be communicated.

Going back to your example, lets say you say it to me a mile away.  As I head back to you, you are mauled by a bear.  Your toungue is ripped out, your eyes are plucked out, and your body is completely and totally paralyzed.  You have absolutely no way to communicate the message.

What is the value of your message now to anyone who is not you?  How can anyone even claim the message exists?  Likewise, if nobody can demonstrate or communicate objective morality, how can we claim it exists?

By subjective criteria. We look at the data and come to the best supported ideas about the best way for a president to act.  And we judge based on that.  And since it's subjective, we wind up with people having differing opinions. 

Objective Morality exists, but no human is capable of being objectively moral.

Also morals are a fluid, they change over time and over a society's experience. What is morally acceptable today, may not be so in future and visa versa.

What are your examples of things you believe to be morally objective?

Those statements directly contradict eachother.  You can't have objective morality and fluid morals.  You can't have objective morality and morals that are subject to time.  

I don't have examples of any examples of things that are morally objective, because I still haven't been convinced that objective morality exists.  I can give you examples of things I believe are objectively harmful.  I can give you examples of things I believe decrease the quality of life overall.  I can give you a list of things that objectively limit personal liberty.

But whether or not those things are moral depends on whether or not you agree that not causing harm, ensuring quality of life, and having freedom are good things.  I certainly feel like they are, but I can't justify that with anything beyond my feelings.

JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:

I see no reason to call those emotions god.  We have a word for love.  It's love.  We have a word for rage.  It's rage.  Calling these things god needlessly complicates things.  If we're not talking about god as an actual being, whether or not that's the god of Christianity, we're talking about entirely different things.

Other than that I agree with most of what you said.  People obviously created these stories to express moral values.  But that doesn't make them objective or good, and it doesn't make god necessary.

people find it easier to relate to stories when they can more easily form a bond with the subject of the story, that's why personification was used in this context

to make stories about certain fundamental qualities of man more relatable and digestible through stories... and if people were more aware in our current era, they'd realise that the same thing happens frequently in our various entettainment genres like the movie genre

" whether or not that's the god of Christianity, we're talking about entirely different things."

the god of christianity is also a metaphor for concepts that extend beyond our subjective view as individuals and again in that case personification was used to tie the concept down and make it more relatable to people

but i suppose that over time people lost the original understanding and took personification literally

but you have to ask yourself what is more relatable - a story about all the things you don't understand or simply calling those things a father like entity with close connections to man?

"But that doesn't make them objective or good"

well i'd argue that if the concepts are concepts that are always present in civilisation then there is objectivity

for example conflict is something that is always going to occur between individuals in a society so if observations are made on the best ways to deal with conflict over a long period of time, they can then be put into story form to better communicate the conclusions reached

i suppose you could argue that this would still be corrupted by the subjectivity of man but all of our observations are, but we regardless still have to reach conclusions about things to operate properly

" it doesn't make god necessary."

well i suppose you could argue that the mode of delivery isn't the best but i don't know about that since even today its still the most common way we try to communicate values

o_O.Q said:
JWeinCom said:

people find it easier to relate to stories when they can more easily form a bond with the subject of the story, that's why personification was used in this context

to make stories about certain fundamental qualities of man more relatable and digestible through stories... and if people were more aware in our current era, they'd realise that the same thing happens frequently in our various entettainment genres like the movie genre

" whether or not that's the god of Christianity, we're talking about entirely different things."

the god of christianity is also a metaphor for concepts that extend beyond our subjective view as individuals and again in that case personification was used to tie the concept down and make it more relatable to people

but i suppose that over time people lost the original understanding and took personification literally

but you have to ask yourself what is more relatable - a story about all the things you don't understand or simply calling those things a father like entity with close connections to man?

"But that doesn't make them objective or good"

well i'd argue that if the concepts are concepts that are always present in civilisation then there is objectivity

for example conflict is something that is always going to occur between individuals in a society so if observations are made on the best ways to deal with conflict over a long period of time, they can then be put into story form to better communicate the conclusions reached

i suppose you could argue that this would still be corrupted by the subjectivity of man but all of our observations are, but we regardless still have to reach conclusions about things to operate properly

" it doesn't make god necessary."

well i suppose you could argue that the mode of delivery isn't the best but i don't know about that since even today its still the most common way we try to communicate values

"people find it easier to relate to stories when they can more easily form a bond with the subject of the story, that's why personification was used in this context

to make stories about certain fundamental qualities of man more relatable and digestible through stories... and if people were more aware in our current era, they'd realise that the same thing happens frequently in our various entettainment genres like the movie genre"

You keep explaining why people made these stories, but I understand that already.  What I don't understand is how this makes for objective morality.

"the god of christianity is also a metaphor for concepts that extend beyond our subjective view as individuals and again in that case personification was used to tie the concept down and make it more relatable to people

but you have to ask yourself what is more relatable - a story about all the things you don't understand or simply calling those things a father like entity with close connections to man?"

The context of this topic is does it matter if god exists or not.  In that sense, god was clearly not being used as a metaphor, but an actual being.  If you're using god as a metaphorical placeholder for anything that we can't yet explain, you're talking about something different.

I don't understand what this means.  We could take anger as a concept exists across all civilizations.  So what does that mean?  Is anger objective?  How does this lead to objective morality?

Yup.  I could and would argue that.  I'm not disagreeing that we reach conclusions.  I'm disagreeing that those conclusions are objective, and that god can make them objective.

And of course there are still at least several hundreds of different opinions on how to best deal with conflict.  So that's certainly not an area where we've reached objective morality.

You would have to support the claim that its most common, since I'd argue that laws are a more common way to communicate values.

Even if we could determine that it was the most popular way, that does not mean the best way, does not mean it's an effective way, and certainly does not mean it's an objective way.

Diest here. God exist. What God is can be debated but we know very little of existence to have a meaningful debate.