By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The official SGDQ 2017 thread! It has begun

Stream is here: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

For info, read below.

Approved by RavenExtra

Greetings fellow gamers!

You may have heard of GDQ, or Games Done Quick for full, but in case you haven't, I will do a quick explanation here.

What is Games Done Quick?

Games Done Quick is a charity event held twice a year, divided into the events SGDQ (Summer GDQ) and AGDQ (Awesome GDQ) to gather donations to the Prevent Cancer Foundation (AGDQ) and Doctors Without Borders/Medecins sans frontiers (SGDQ). It is a speedrun marathon with about 140 games being run over the course of 8 days. Last AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) raised a record 2.2 million dollars to the prevent cancer foundation. Now, SGDQ is up, and it's our job to make sure we smash that record!

What is speedrunning?

Speedrunning in general is based on beating a game (often there are also categories for 100% completion) in the shortest amount of time possible. This is achieved through a combination of mastery of the base game mechanics, and an intimate knowledge of glitches, bugs and many unintended features in the game. Many games have several different categories for speedruns, such as any% (where you can have any completion rate, as long as you complete the game), 100% (Complete the game with a 100% completion rate), no out of bounds or no OoB (where you can't use glitches and bugs that make you go out of bounds. This category is in combination with either any% or 100%, so you can have any% no OoB for example) and no major skips (where you can't use any bugs or glitches to skip substantial amounts of the game). There are more categories, but usually they are in relation to specific tricks in individual games. In either case, the runners often explain the category beforehand, so what I've written here should be sufficient knowledge to keep up.

Now without further ado, I will give some links with more info about the event:

Schedule (The event starts on july 2nd and ends july 9th, but here you can find all the games that are going to be run, and when. Control+f to look for some of your favourite games!)

GDQ Homepage (more info about the event and the organisations)

Will update further. Let me know if there are any questions!

Around the Network

Bump cuz I posted this in the lull-time of the forum

How did they do in the past?

Looking forward to it. I've been watching every GDQ since 2014.

Always a fun event. My favorite games to watch are Mario 64 and Super Metroid. They are both games I've played many times and seeing all the tricks the speedrunners can do to blast through the games never ceases to amaze me.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Got a good scheduled line up.

Acevil said:

Do what? Do you mean donation amount?

Teeqoz said:
Acevil said:

Yes, gives an idea of how big this is getting or gotten. 

Tag

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Acevil said:
Teeqoz said:

Yes, gives an idea of how big this is getting or gotten. 

AGDQ2011 - 52k

SGDQ2011 - 23k

AGDQ2012 - 149k

SGDQ2012 - 46k

AGDQ2013 - 448k

SGDQ2013 - 257k

AGDQ2014 - 1.031 million

SGDQ2014 - 718k

AGDQ2015 - 1.576 million

SGDQ2015 - 1.215 million

AGDQ2016 - 1.216 million

SGDQ2016 - 1.294 million

AGDQ2017 - 2.222 million

Except for 2016, SGDQ hasn't been able to surpass the previous AGDQ, but we can always hope it happens this year