By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predicting the Nintendo Switch revision!

Switch Revision arrives:

2017 1 1.37%

2018 22 30.14%

2019 37 50.68%

2020 8 10.96%

No revision 4 5.48%

Other 1 1.37%

Total:73

Nintendo can't keep the little guy on store shelves, yet someone's predicting they'll revise it next year?  

Well I'm hoping they do.  I'd really like to get to some of the exclusives they have coming up.  The thing is, the design is too flawed for my tastes at the moment: the battery, storage, online(friend codes in 2045?) and a few other smaller things just aren't up to par for what I'd be paying for.

That said, when do you expect a Switch revision?  How do you think they'll change it up?  I'm hoping all the issues I listed are resolved, as well as elimination of that damn 4 inch thick bezel.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

Top notch thread OP. Really.

At the minimum three years away.

There'll be a more powerful Switch released by March 2021. As for a revision with the same chip... I don't really know. Late 2018 wouldn't overly surprise me but I'll go with 2019.

Mbolibombo said:
Top notch thread OP. Really.

Thanks? haha

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

I'm thinking 2019 for a revision.

- Same size.
- Better battery.
- Maybe bigger screen (Smaller bezels).
- Extra USB-C port, close to the cartridge slot (For charging when in tabletop).
- No idea what it would be called, but I'm betting on New Switch, Switch XL or Switch+.

Edit: Probably a better kickstand too.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:

- Same size.
- Better battery.
- Extra USB-C port, close to the cartridge slot (For charging when in tabletop).
- No idea what it would be called, but I'm betting on New Switch, Switch XL or Switch+.

Agreed. And yeah, the kickstand is quite garbage. They need to make it metal alloy tipped with a thin rubber foot on the bottom. 

Switch XL next year or 2019 ($50 more expensive than normal Switch, and a $50 price cut for both in 2019). New Switch Pro X in 2020.

Friend Codes will be gone with a system update, not hardware revision.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Vini256 said:

- Same size.
- Better battery.

Same thing I was going to say.  I do expect a smaller revision with no detachable joycons to come out when they come close to releasing a Switch successor, kind of like what they did with the Game Boy Micro when the DS came out.

I believe the bezel is necessary to fit the Joy-Cons, so the most you can hope for there is for a bigger screen size to take up that space. This is also why I don't believe we'll see a Switch Mini or XL since the Joy-Cons wouldn't fit.

-Lonely_Dolphin

3DS XL released a little more than a year after the original launch, so a revision <20 mos. is possible or fall 2018.

A big question is about the chipset of Switch. So many reports about "20nm not catching on as a standard node, 16nm was the real next step, it will cost Nvidia more to produce on the old fab/trying to clear inventory giving Nintendo a sweet deal on their X1 chip" etc etc etc...when will the shift to X2 (more power efficient and 50% faster) be officially made?

I expect Switch Lite/mini to be the first revision. "Lite" not only in regards to size but features as well. with a smaller model, there will be no joycons. The controls will return to a more comfortable layout as you see with the pro controller; the direct top/bottom button layout was necessary due to individual joycon play. This also means no dock, that will be sold separate and expect a 2.0 design similar to the one from Nyko . I expect this model to pretty much look like a Vita.

Same chipset should take advantage of the gains and get an XL or MAX model (same physical size but bigger screen via shrunken bezel) in 2019. Question is , will the screen be 1080p (max performance at all times) and will the battery life perform similar to the launch model? On top of that, the original Switch should get phased out as well unless they just stick the new chips in those old, fat bezel switches...The XL/MAX will be very popular, so Im not sure if they even keep the oddball 6.2 inch model around.

Nintendo has an extensive history with portable redesigns, and I expect more HW variants than ever now with NVidia as their partner.