By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Professional Idiots

JRPGfan said:
You forgot christians that believe the world is only like 4000-8000 years old, because of them going by adam+eve and names in a bible to date the world.

Dinosaur bones in the earth? just put there to test your faith ect.
People that dont believe in evolution.... like 40% of americans? believe in creationism.

Then theres people that think the moon landing is fake,.... even though you can see where they put out reflectors on the moon, and point lasers at them and get a beam back. I mean what does that prove right?

Trying to put logic into this people is almost impossible. They prefer that one paper in a 100 that says climate change isn't real or prefer holy books over evidence based articles. You can build up a library the size of the moon with evidence with them still not believing you. As for the flat earth society members I doubt sending them into space and back will alter their vision. They will just add extra BS to their theory so that a round earth is only an illusion when in space or something. In the end it always comes down to people thinking what they feel is more right than what has been proved. And yes I think that line of tought is the definition of stupidity.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
JEMC said:
At least those silly enough to believe that the Earth is flat and those kind of things don't make any physical harm to others.

But I do have a problem with those that spread shit that does harm to others, like those who claim that vaccines are bad. Two kids died here in Spain last year becuase their parents were stupid enough to believe that shit and they didn't vaccinate their children.

Those kind of people are disgusting and should be accused and send to jail, like those that run sites about anorexia and bulimia.

Don't forget homeopathy.

Qwark said:
JRPGfan said:
You forgot christians that believe the world is only like 4000-8000 years old, because of them going by adam+eve and names in a bible to date the world.

Dinosaur bones in the earth? just put there to test your faith ect.
People that dont believe in evolution.... like 40% of americans? believe in creationism.

Then theres people that think the moon landing is fake,.... even though you can see where they put out reflectors on the moon, and point lasers at them and get a beam back. I mean what does that prove right?

Trying to put logic into this people is almost impossible. They prefer that one paper in a 100 that says climate change isn't real or prefer holy books over evidence based articles. You can build up a library the size of the moon with evidence with them still not believing you. As for the flat earth society members I doubt sending them into space and back will alter their vision. They will just add extra BS to their theory so that a round earth is only an illusion when in space or something. In the end it always comes down to people thinking what they feel is more right than what has been proved. And yes I think that line of tought is the definition of stupidity.

Yes, these people have a strong confirmation bias. They only believe the things they want to believe. No scientific method or evidence will turn their mind around. They call earth pictures made by satellites or spaceshuttles fake because NASA is evil, because ....reasons. Ignoring the fact that NASA is not the only space agency on this planet. Video streams from ISS are CGI altered.

The sun is only 3000 miles above the ground.

Jupiter is the size of a bus.

The moon is a projection made from earth.

Satellites are fake.

This is just a few of their stuff, but damn, this is brutal at what level of conspiracy you have to deal with.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JEMC said:
At least those silly enough to believe that the Earth is flat and those kind of things don't make any physical harm to others.

But I do have a problem with those that spread shit that does harm to others, like those who claim that vaccines are bad. Two kids died here in Spain last year becuase their parents were stupid enough to believe that shit and they didn't vaccinate their children.

Those kind of people are disgusting and should be accused and send to jail, like those that run sites about anorexia and bulimia.

The problem is with the goverment. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you go to prison. Simple as that.

Player2 said:
JEMC said:

Don't forget homeopathy.

True.

At least the institutions are starting to remove all the medical credentials and validations to those that use it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Sometimes it feels like the internet has become a haven for the delusional and the insane. When anyone and everyone is given a megaphone, ignorance and misinformation can drown out reason. You can find any type of echo chamber you want online and thrive inside it, however much it detaches you from reality. Just gotta play the long game for them to eventually die out, I guess, and fight the good fight in the meantime...

naruball said:
JEMC said:

The problem is with the goverment. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you go to prison. Simple as that.

If only.

But I wouldn't send them to prision, I would simply take them the custidy if the kids, as they are clearly not taking care of them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Peh said:

Is there a different word that describes the following?

An idiotdoltdullard or (archaically) mome is a person perceived to be lacking intelligence, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way.

You just don't want to become Rol. 

On a similar note, I like "mome." I think I'll use that now, thanks for the options.

The weekly flat Earth thread.

The truth is that it's difficult to fight intuition. We mostly experience a flat Earth. I'm not sure I'd ever realize that the Earth is round without someone telling me.  The same applies to the belief that the Sun orbits the Earth.  Why would I think otherwise?  

Let people believe what they want. I say live and let live.

Don't forget: Science has been wrong about a ton of stuff as well.  People have died because of scientific beliefs that turned out to be untrue.