By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Industry Is Stronger When Nintendo Is Strong, Says Sony's Jim Ryan

Azzanation said:
Donferrari said:

Bringing them together doesn't exactly makes the industry stronger... Nintendo instead of selling 15M selling 100M I can see the market being bigger and the industry strong, so please try again to show how the industry would grow, because MP games staying relevant longer doesn't necessarily turns into much bigger profits and market.

And why does this "all together" needs to be everyone using a Live account?

And when is MS going to accept PSN accounts on their system? And when is MS going to put all 3rd party games as play with everyone?

Nope... the impact of MS or Atari strong isn't nearly the same as Nintendo since the first is basically similar to Sony and Atari doesn't even is relevant to the same level anymore.

Mate regradless how you spin it. The industry becomes alot more healthier whether you think cross play is worth it or not. Everyone playing togother and keeping online populations high benefits all gamers. It adds attraction to products and lasting appeal.

The fact your sticking up for Sonys decision amazes me.

If Sony released an IP on a MS console than id expect MS to do the exact same thing since its Sonys game.

The fact Sony allowed users to sign into Steam accounts on the PS3 to play games like Portal 2 cross play shows that Ryans excuse is far fetched and embarrassing.

MS did it in the past too however guess what, its not 2012, its 2017 with new leadership. Its time we move past this greed and become a whole as a gaming community.

My brother hates Xbox but owns a Switch. He was quite happy to see that he can play Minecraft with me and i dont even need to buy a Switch copy of Minecraft. Thats the true *For the Gamers*

We need more of that.

MS did not release minecraft on ps3 and ps4. They bought the IP after it was released. Portal 2 did not really have a significant online community so it's not like it matters much especially since steam is not a direct competitor in any sense. If MS was "for the gamers" they'd have worked on creating a bridge between the communities and not thinking of ways to inflate the xbox live MAUs.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
pokoko said:

Do a research, you'll see that the PS3 outsold the 360 on a regular basis.  That's an era of dominance?  I don't think those words mean what the writer thinks they mean.

Actually, looking it up, "wii60" mainly looks like a fanboy thing.

In the US, the 360 was the number one selling console of the 7th generation. It murdered the PS3 the US. It wasn't even close. 

At any point did we ever say, "let's talk about one country only and ignore the rest of the world?"  I certainly didn't say that so I'm not sure why you think you can come in late and move the goal posts.  You can't.

Azzanation said:
pokoko said:

In the present, Xbox One users are unable to play FF 14 and War Thunder because Microsoft would not allow them to use merged servers.  That's not just being unable to play with people on another platform, that's being unable to play the game at all, which hurts the players and the developers.

If you're mad about what Sony had done then you should be absolutely furious about what Microsoft has done, which affects players still today.  

Who said i am sticking up for MS's decisions with the 360?

360?  What are you talking about?  I said Xbox One.  Reread my post.  Final Fantasy XIV is on the PS4 but not the Xbox One because of Microsoft policy.  War Thunder is on the PS4 but not the Xbox One because of Microsoft policy.  That's a much worse situation, especially with Stormblood  releasing for FF XIV right now.  

I'll say it again:  If you're mad about what Sony had done then you should be absolutely furious about what Microsoft has done.  There is no way out of that unless you want to look like a massive hypocrite.

LOL. If we believe their PR's, Sony and MS love Ninty more than 3rd parties do.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Azzanation said:
Donferrari said:

Bringing them together doesn't exactly makes the industry stronger... Nintendo instead of selling 15M selling 100M I can see the market being bigger and the industry strong, so please try again to show how the industry would grow, because MP games staying relevant longer doesn't necessarily turns into much bigger profits and market.

And why does this "all together" needs to be everyone using a Live account?

And when is MS going to accept PSN accounts on their system? And when is MS going to put all 3rd party games as play with everyone?

Nope... the impact of MS or Atari strong isn't nearly the same as Nintendo since the first is basically similar to Sony and Atari doesn't even is relevant to the same level anymore.

Mate regradless how you spin it. The industry becomes alot more healthier whether you think cross play is worth it or not. Everyone playing togother and keeping online populations high benefits all gamers. It adds attraction to products and lasting appeal.

The fact your sticking up for Sonys decision amazes me.

If Sony released an IP on a MS console than id expect MS to do the exact same thing since its Sonys game.

The fact Sony allowed users to sign into Steam accounts on the PS3 to play games like Portal 2 cross play shows that Ryans excuse is far fetched and embarrassing.

MS did it in the past too however guess what, its not 2012, its 2017 with new leadership. Its time we move past this greed and become a whole as a gaming community.

My brother hates Xbox but owns a Switch. He was quite happy to see that he can play Minecraft with me and i dont even need to buy a Switch copy of Minecraft. Thats the true *For the Gamers*

We need more of that.

So are you going to pressure MS to not demand Xbox live accounts to integration? Or that they open up for FF XIV and Warzone? Or that all 3rd party games are cross game?

And again you haven't show how that increases the market or the revenue.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
LOL. If we believe their PR's, Sony and MS love Ninty more than 3rd parties do.

Worse is that it may even be true

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Then why are they undercutting the Switch with Japanese publishers behind closed doors?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
Then why are they undercutting the Switch with Japanese publishers behind closed doors?

care to show any evidence?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

StuOhQ said:

If you're talking about Monster Hunter then the answer is easy--so Nintendo won't do it to them first.

Then why don't you want to crossplay with them? :P

Mike321 said:
Then why don't you want to crossplay with them? :P

On a single game with MS controlling all?

Soundwave said:

I think the industry would be better if Microsoft had never gotten involved as a console maker. Nintendo GameCube likely would've by default sold 40 million instead of 22 million IMO and then likely Nintendo would've taken advantage of Sony's $600 Blu-Ray blunder and sold a lot that following generation no matter what. 

We'd have a Sony-Nintendo market but Nintendo would be making both main line console and portables instead of basically being pushed out to make portable focused hardware alone.

And really MS doesn't bring anything to the marketplace other than PC games that are all on PS4 anyway. When they came in they unneccessarily crowded the market for Nintendo for no good reason (and have destroyed Rare in the process too). They don't need the game industry at all, instead they came into a market to basically screw up things for Nintendo that does need the game industry because they are an actual video game company, not some billion-dollar software company looking to blow some money on a side hobby. 

I haven't seen so much rubbish in a single post in a long time. Just because Microsoft doesn't have games that suit your taste, doesn't mean they didn't add anything to the market.