By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Convince Me to buy a Vita or 3DS!

Tagged games:

3ds is the cheapest and got the most variety of games and a support beyond 2018. vita is very niche and practically dead. switch is too expensive and has almost no games. I don't know who would choose anything other than a 3ds.

Around the Network

I'm just going to say that, if the games I own that are also on PS3, the Vita version has been inferior every time.

Nothing wrong with that. Just saying that, based on my experience, one of your Vita points is wrong.

The 3DS is one of my favorite (if not the favorite) platforms ever, and I highly recommend it. I ended up buying one both at launch, and a newer model (new 3DS XL), and I really dig the latter. I probably own around 30 physical games, and 50 more digitally, so if you're even half as picky as me, you'll have a lot to choose from. The system gets solid support from Nintendo too, and will apparently get supported even into next year, so you definitely can't go wrong if that's your choice.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Xen said:

So then...

I would like to buy a new portable system (even if neither of the ones mentioned are truly new, but they are new to me! ), and cannot decide between a Vita and 3DS.

I have to say, that I find either one to be a bleak shadow of either the PSP or the DS, which is why this decision is so hard for me - I can easily afford both, just don't have time for both at the same time... therefore, I need this community to convince me into buying either one. I like just about any genre, so you have a good range to use to convince me.
Thanks

...don't recommend a Switch, reason why can be seen two posts below =P

3DS - a huge HUGE backlog of great games that just doesn't compare to the Vita's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJcfDGTOm8

^This video goes threw some of them, but here's a list of what's shown in alphabetical order:

1. 1001 Spikes
2. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD
3. Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures
4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
5. Azure Striker Gunvolt
6. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
7. BIT.TRIP SAGA
8. BoxBoy!
9. BoxBoxBoy!
10. Bravely Default
11. Bravely Second: End Layer
12. Cave Story 3D
13. Corpse Party
14. Crimson Shroud
15. Dead or Alive: Dimensions
16. Disney Magical World
17. Disney Magical World 2
18. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
19. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
20. Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
21. Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
22. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
23. Etrian Mystery Dungeon
24. Fantasy Life
25. Fire Emblem Awakening
26. Fire Emblem Fates
27. Gunman Clive
28. Gunman Clive 2
29. Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure
30. Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
31. Story of Seasons
32. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
33. Hyrule Warriors Legends
34. Kid Icarus: Uprising
35. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe
37. Kirby: Planet Robobot
38. Kokuga
39. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
40. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
41. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
42. Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
43. Mario Golf: World Tour
44. Mario Kart 7
45. Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater
46. Mighty Switch Force!
47. Mighty Switch Force! 2
48. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
49. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
50. Monster Hunter Generations
51. Nano Assault EX
52. New Super Mario Bros. 2
53. Nintendogs + Cats
54. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
55. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
56. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
DLC. Turnabout Reclaimed
57. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
58. Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
59. Pokémon X & Y
60. Pokémon Sun and Moon
61. Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
62. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
63. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
64. Project X Zone
65. Project X Zone 2
66. Pushmo
67. Crashmo
68. Stretchmo
69. Resident Evil: Revelations
70. Retro City Rampage DX
71. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
72. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
73. Rune Factory 4
74. Scribblenauts Unlimited
75. Severed
76. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
77. Shin Megami Tensei IV
78. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
79. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
80. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
81. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
82. Shovel Knight
83. Star Fox 64 3D
84. SteamWorld Dig
85. SteamWorld Heist
86. Stella Glow
87. Super Mario 3D Land
88. Super Mario Maker
89. Super Smash Bros.
90. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
91. Tales of the Abyss
92. Tetris Axis
93. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
94. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
95. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
96. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
97. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D [New 3DS]
98. Yo-Kai Watch
99. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
100. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

And also more games to come like Pokemon, Metroid, etc. and the virtual console is a big plus with many classic titles such as the gen 1 and soon gen 2 pokemon games on their and many more.

Also I recommend if you can wait for the New 2DS XL because it's got more horsepower and bigger sceens at a cheaper price and the 3D effect isn't something that is a big compromise to give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxNHhgMuTg

I like both systems quite a bit, but I play my Vita far more and would suggest it if you enjoy Japanese games like I do.

Around the Network
palou said:
StarOcean said:

Yes, Vita new is $200. But you fail to mention all models that are currently out now have internal memory. Not much, only 1-5gb (forgot), but thats plenty enough if you intent to buy only physical. $60 is about what you'd pay for a 32gb mem card which most wouldn't even opt for anyway a used Vita can go for $150 and many of the games on it are less than $20 these days, especially among the best it has to offer. 

But if you compare lower limits, you can get a regular 2ds for around 70$.

You can also buy a used PS Vita for $114. But you'd want neither since a 2DS is trash compared to anything on the New 3DS line, or the New 2DS that's coming out. And a used Vita is more than likely the OG OLED model which lacks any internal memory. You don't want a 2DS cause it's slower, ugly, lacks the extra buttons of the 'New' line and doesn't have the nice pixel density that makes some 3DS games really beautiful even with its 240p. You're better off getting a 'New' line model for a few more $$ as a result. As for the OG Vita, OG has a screen that's friggin amazing but its easily scratchable, and when it gets scratched it looks like it has water on it which is annoying. Also, again, lacks internal mem. So it's best to get a newer ver. of the 2/3D line or Vita line. 

No!

I mean... get both.

Lol... seriously, it depends on your tastes. I like stuff the Vita has like the Ys games, dangarompa, Trails of cold stell, Tales of Hearts R, Persona 4, Zero series (though its on 3DS aswell), Fighters like MK9, Injustice, SFxT, UMvC3 and Digimon. Theres loads of less known but decent RPG's and lots of hunting games if you like that. (remember that most of the PSP library is available aswell).

The 3DS is mostly for Nintendo stuff. So, if youre into classic Zelda, pokemon and bad Fire emblem games (yeah i went there! Havent played echoes yet though.), its for you.

I got them both myself (felt the need to mention cause i'm sure a nintendo fan is gonna jump me for having an opinion and call me fanboy of something).

Nem said:

No!

I mean... get both.

Lol... seriously, it depends on your tastes. I like stuff the Vita has like the Ys games, dangarompa, Trails of cold stell, Tales of Hearts R, Persona 4, Zero series (though its on 3DS aswell), Fighters like MK9, Injustice, SFxT, UMvC3 and Digimon. Theres loads of less known but decent RPG's and lots of hunting games if you like that. (remember that most of the PSP library is available aswell).

The 3DS is mostly for Nintendo stuff. So, if youre into classic Zelda, pokemon and bad Fire emblem games (yeah i went there! Havent played echoes yet though.), its for you.

I got them both myself (felt the need to mention cause i'm sure a nintendo fan is gonna jump me for having an opinion and call me fanboy of something).

Interested to hear if and when you do get Fire Emblem Echoes, only because since it's a remake of older entry (even though it never came to the west in the first place) it might have a chance of being more to your taste. Although the original is said to be the black sheep of the franchise with the exploration aspect.

I have both, believe me, the 3ds is your choice. The vita is nice, it's very beautiful and the screen looks beautiful, but has only niche/Japanese games and visual novels. I own around eight vita games, and most of them are ports from ps3 games, remasters from old games, and the one original vita game I have is already available on ps4 (gravity rush).
The 3ds has tons and tons of absolutely amazing games, and it still has a long life ahead. I'm so surprised Nintendo announced some games for it, and third parties are still there, with games like dq11 or Radiant historia.
I'd go with the 3ds, but it's up to you and your taste in gaming. Remember the 3ds is a bit more child focused, with more cartoony games. If you can also enjoy that, go for it

For me, it would be VITA vs. the upcoming 2DSXL.  I for one do not care for 3D.  So paying a cheaper price for the 2D ($150.00 UDS) and retaining the clamshell design places this above the 3DS.  My opinion in regards to the software section, for the 2DSXL - Nintendo franchises first, RPGs second.  The VITA - RPGs first, Sony franchises second.  That makes it such a toss up.  Ultimately, it's the VITA for me because it's more so the PSTV that allows me to play VITA games on my 55" flat panel.  Yes, you need to make sure a VITA game is compatible with the PSTV.  With the exception of three or four games from my experience, it's a non issue.