By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS post-Switch is still kicking. Discuss.

Tagged games:

JRPGfan said:

"it's very clear that Nintendo is still heavily betting for the 3DS."

I really wish they wherent though, every game going forwards should to be for the switch.
let the 3rd party carry the last life left in the 3DS.

"how long is the 3D handheld going to be supported by Nintendo? Do you think the focus on the 3DS will impact on the Switch's software output?"

Probably a year more, they should have honestly dropped it and focused on the switch instead.

And without a doubt, the 3DS focus is impacting the Switch software output.

Even though the Switch looks good currently, nintendo need to keep up the pace, and not sure they can unless they drop the 3DS support.

Ultra sun and moon use the same engine as the first game, I'm sure use the same map and mostly the same Pokemon. Very little for developers to do here.

Metroid is a remake of a game, so not nearly as much development times goes into those (they said windwaker hd took 6 months, a joke in development time, and that game was in hd. This game should take very little time to make).

Superstar should take even less time than Metroid because they aren't even fully upgrading the graphics on it and it isn't a full fledged remake.

Nintendo probably has very small teams working on these titles and they will make a bunch of money off it because of that. This is a win for them and shouldn't impact switch development. Besides, the switch already has too many 1st party games coming out this year. I already have a backlog and by far most of their big games aren't even out yet.

Around the Network
Asriel said:

What Rol said. Both systems have good line-ups for this point in their life. And 3DS support isn't exactly mind-blowing, nor is it resource intensive. Don't forget 3DS is a mature system with low development costs. What do we have for 3DS in 2017 (not an exhaustive list, just what I can remember)?

- Dragon Quest VIII (Remake, third party title, late localisation, came out in Japan 2015)
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Remake, uses an existing game engine, filler title while Intelligent Systems moved on to Switch)
- Mario Sports Mix (New title, using existing engine/assets, Camelot)
- Yoshi/Poochy (Wii U port)
- Ever Oasis (New IP from a small studio, Grezzo)
- Miitopia (New title likely using existing assets, Nintendo EPD)
- Hey! Pikmin (Spin-off from a small studio, Azrest)
- New Brain Training (Title that came out in Japan 2012, NA 2013, launching in Europe this year)
- Metroid: Samus Returns (Remake outsourced to another studio, MercuryStream)
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Remake using existing engine/assets)
- Pokemon Ultimate Sun/Ultimate Moon (Upgraded versions of 2016 titles)
- Monster Hunter Stories (third party, localisation)

We've got a mixture of late localisations, ports, remakes, and upgraded releases, almost all handled by smaller studios. In contrast to that, Switch has got and will get EPD developed titles (6 this year, versus 1 for 3DS), including a brand new IP from EPD, as well as two huge, ambitious games in Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. It's clear where Nintendo's focus is, because their best resources are going to Switch, and their most resource intensive titles are going to Switch.

Unlike last generation, this is just a well-managed transition. At least, it is from 3DS to Switch.

Miitopia and Monster Hunter Stories released in Japan in 2016 for the 3DS.

Ever Oasis, based on footage revealed thus far, appears to utilize the same engine used in the OoT and MM remakes for the 3DS.

And, well, wasn't Mario Sports Mix also co-developed by Bandai Namco?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

They seem to be determined to push 3DS past the 80m mark once it's all said and done. Reggie mentioned they had 'sold' 66m 3Ds (I'm assuming he was talking shipped) and that many people didn't know that it actually is the most popular system on the market right now.

It has enough support this year to sell another 5-6m and it will sail past the 70m by end of this year. They'll probably have support slowly trickling to a halt next year and might sell another 3-4m. Depending on how long they continue selling it afterwards it might leg it out the remaining 3-4m to reach 80m.

Keep the 3DS live and kicking for as long as possible

Honestly, not surprised with Nintendo's decision, and I'm completely fine with it as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Metroid 2 was actually my first Metroid. I wanted to play the first but couldn't get my hands on it at the time. I loved it. Even bought/beat it again for 3ds. I really wish it were for the Switch but I'll take it.

Around the Network

Nintendo handhelds have always gotten pretty solid support for about a year or so after the successor released, nothing new here.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

By the end of this year.

Next Pokemon will be on Switch.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Keep the 3DS for little kids. They don't need a Switch, a $99 2DS XL (in time) is fine for like 5/6/7/8 year olds.

I think Reggie just said they plan to support it through 2018 and beyond. Switch should be more of a product for teenagers and adults with more disposable income.

Asriel said:

What Rol said. Both systems have good line-ups for this point in their life. And 3DS support isn't exactly mind-blowing, nor is it resource intensive. Don't forget 3DS is a mature system with low development costs. What do we have for 3DS in 2017 (not an exhaustive list, just what I can remember)?

- Dragon Quest VIII (Remake, third party title, late localisation, came out in Japan 2015)
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Remake, uses an existing game engine, filler title while Intelligent Systems moved on to Switch)
- Mario Sports Mix (New title, using existing engine/assets, Camelot)
- Yoshi/Poochy (Wii U port)
- Ever Oasis (New IP from a small studio, Grezzo)
- Miitopia (New title likely using existing assets, Nintendo EPD)
- Hey! Pikmin (Spin-off from a small studio, Azrest)
- New Brain Training (Title that came out in Japan 2012, NA 2013, launching in Europe this year)
- Metroid: Samus Returns (Remake outsourced to another studio, MercuryStream)
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Remake using existing engine/assets)
- Pokemon Ultimate Sun/Ultimate Moon (Upgraded versions of 2016 titles)
- Monster Hunter Stories (third party, localisation)

We've got a mixture of late localisations, ports, remakes, and upgraded releases, almost all handled by smaller studios. In contrast to that, Switch has got and will get EPD developed titles (6 this year, versus 1 for 3DS), including a brand new IP from EPD, as well as two huge, ambitious games in Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. It's clear where Nintendo's focus is, because their best resources are going to Switch, and their most resource intensive titles are going to Switch.

Unlike last generation, this is just a well-managed transition. At least, it is from 3DS to Switch.

There we go, I was gonna make a similar post. In 2018 the 3DS will also get Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (by Indieszero, they made NES Remix).

I'm sure the Switch can live without spin-offs and remakes. The only fair complaint I can see is Pokemon, but GameFreak does whatever they want regardless.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I'm excited to see what they can accomplish when they focus only on the Switch. Think of the output they can accomplish with that! But yeah, I think they used it as a back-up plan, but now that the Switch is known as a success, they don't want to just cancel the games with the time and effort they put into them, so they're going to release them.