By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Floyd Mayweather Vs Conor McGregor fight officially happening

Who is the bigger scumbag though?

Mayweather 56 73.68%

McGregor 20 26.32%

Total:76

Geez. This is gonna be at least a $100 PPV in the U.S.,and likely more in Canada. Doubt I'll be buying this as I have zero friends IRL who like combat sports.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Easy money and win for Mayweather tbh, I do boxing training for the fitness and it's one of the hardest things to get to grips with and considered the hardest training you can take up, an amateur boxer would beat someone untrained so to take on a multi weight champion as your first fight is asking for trouble.

Floyd's defence will nullify Conner hard I can see a fight where the latter spends the whole match getting counter punched.

Floyd is one if the greatest boxers ever, the whole ethos of boxing us Hit, don't be hit, and Floyd is a master. No contest here.

I don't know why Conner took this fight. Doesn't he actually hate Floyd? He's gotta be pretty stupid if he thinks he can pull this off in a limited kind of a fight for him and something that helps Floyd.

It's one of two things then:

1. Money/It's a work and they don't actually hate each other, or they did and they put their differences aside to get a big payout....or at least for Conner. Floyd doesn't really need the money, but now that Conner was fired, maybe he does. The only thing Floyd really gains is the 50-0...

2. Here's my devilish wishful thinking: Conner is making Floyd think the above, but in the fight Conner will take him down, break the rules of boxing and pummel Floyd... I'm sure Conner in a way would still get paid if he did this in a later round to maintain some higher ratings.

....or what if...he actually does take down Floyd and while Floyd wins the fight by DQ, Conner doesn't actually end up striking Floyd for real, but rather fake hits.

As long as number 1 doesn't end up happening then this fight might not be pointless.

Lube Me Up

COKTOE said:
VGPolyglot said:
What? I thought that Floyd Mayweather retired? He's coming out to fight again?

This fight is 3 things to him:

1. Low risk. As it's in boxing, and Mac has 0 professional bouts, Floyd might not take any damage
2. Big payday. Floyd will make more money with this fight than he would fighting any other boxer
3. It's an easy path to breaking the tie he has with Rocky Marciano. They both sit at 49-0

I would smile pretty wide if Conor pulled off the upset. I'd love to see this fight in MMA rules after the boxing match, but Floyd would never agree to it.

Well put. By any reasonable assumption this shouldn't even be a challenge for may weather. Dudes a douche but he's also very smart and tactical in the ring.

Around the Network
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
I don't know why Conner took this fight. Doesn't he actually hate Floyd? He's gotta be pretty stupid if he thinks he can pull this off in a limited kind of a fight for him and something that helps Floyd.

It's one of two things then:

1. Money/It's a work and they don't actually hate each other, or they did and they put their differences aside to get a big payout....or at least for Conner. Floyd doesn't really need the money, but now that Conner was fired, maybe he does. The only thing Floyd really gains is the 50-0...

2. Here's my devilish wishful thinking: Conner is making Floyd think the above, but in the fight Conner will take him down, break the rules of boxing and pummel Floyd... I'm sure Conner in a way would still get paid if he did this in a later round to maintain some higher ratings.

....or what if...he actually does take down Floyd and while Floyd wins the fight by DQ, Conner doesn't actually end up striking Floyd for real, but rather fake hits.

As long as number 1 doesn't end up happening then this fight might not be pointless.

This is not a work.

Conor wasn't fired. I'm not sure where you got that from. There was a slight schism in early spring which had Cornor saying "Fuck the UFC", and that he would make the Floyd fight happen without the UFC if he had to, but that was just blustery hoo-blah, and never went any further than that. Conor is under contact with the UFC for the forseeable future. His only immediate option out of that contact is retirement. Furthermore, Dana White, and former UFC owner Lorenzo Ferttita were both intrumental in negotiating the Floyd fight. This fight happens with their blessing. If it was opposed, it would be in legal limbo for years, with Conor's only hope of eventual freedom to fight in a boxing match being the Ali Act. That's a whole other ballgame though.

And finally, Conor doesn't need the money. I believe his disclosed income from 2016 was around the 20 million dollar range. At least. He claims 40 million, but that's unverified. This fight alone will quaudruple that amount when base salary, pay-per-veiw points, and endorsment are all factored in. Plus, win or lose, he's expected to defend his lightweight belt in the UFC in December, most likely against Khabib Numagomedov, ideally in Russia, or Tony Ferguson in Vegas/New York. That's another 15-20 million for 2017.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

This match is like putting two top predator animals againt each other, the only problem is, he animals are very different, one is a Lion (mayweather) and the other is a Shark (McGregor). Put the lion in the sea the shark wins, put the shark on dry grasses of Africa and the lion wins
Having said this, there is the very very very rare chance that the shark while thrashing around a snapping it actually catches the lion with its razor sharp teeth and the lions runs and falls. Just like McGregor while getting schooled in a boxing ring could catch Mayweather and stun him.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Are people actually expecting this to be an exciting fight? If McGregor doesn't break the rules he'll try to swing a few times, realize he can't hit Floyd for shit and then it's just waiting until Floyd knocks McGregor out. The only hope of this being an exciting fight is McGregor breaking the rules.

Jeff Horn upsetting Pacman in an epic Rocky-style victory against all the odds. A Rocky film and the under dog coming up to win against all the odds. Conor must beat Mayweather and end the perfect record.

What a joke of a fight