By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need another console platform to challenge Sony

SuperBott said:
Turkish said:

One that is willing to challenge Sony in games innovation and tech, one that puts equal investment in their 1st party output, one that puts equal importance to east and west and has global appeal. I think the industry can support both such companies. Just like the previous gen when most people had both a PS3 and 360, plus a Wii often.

woow so many games uncharted 4 + japanese niche crap + indies.

what about horizon? What about infamous? And that ratchet game? Did bloodborne even exist? Crash bandicoot anyone? Eh Nier and Nioh being top rated games of the gen are super niche japanese(but sold millions)

mM
Around the Network
Turkish said:
Jranation said:
Isn't the console market in decline?

Yea, because Xbox and Nintendo were in decline. Xbone S hasn't done much to turn the tide, even in America according to NPD the PS4 has only widened the gap, a $499 console with weak 1st party output isn't gonna challenge Sony. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381479

Switch seems like it's gonna be a success relatively, at least getting the 3DS install base.

StokedUp said:
Just wait till Apple decide to make a console.

Now that would reinvigorate the console market. Apple entering a market causes a ripple effect, it would bring in competitors of its own, especially Chinese brands.  Who knows tho, after wearables and cars, they might discover they lack a product under TVs.

U mean the Apple TV 

mM

No, we just all need to switch to PC. That should challenge them just fine. PC is a perfectly fine platform, we don't need new platforms with even more silly exclusives.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Microsoft isn't worried about Sony obviously, neither is Nintendo. I say let everyone do their own thing and buy into whatever ecosystem they like.

It's unnecessary. Sony is making it pretty clear that going forward their main competition is going to be PC's so having another console going for the same market is going to hurt them.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
leo-j said:
SuperBott said:

woow so many games uncharted 4 + japanese niche crap + indies.

what about horizon? What about infamous? And that ratchet game? Did bloodborne even exist? Crash bandicoot anyone? Eh Nier and Nioh being top rated games of the gen are super niche japanese(but sold millions)

None of those are first party games though. That's like calling Monster Hunter Stories a first party game.

It would be nice if nintendo rose to the challenge but..i dont think they are gonna even be in the console market again for a looong time.

btw Jap Niche "crap" is pretty much what most hardcore gamer want to play.

vivster said:
No, we just all need a Switch and a PC.

Fixed.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Well this thread is off to a predictable start.

OT: What everyone should remember is that there was once a time in recent history when people would complain that the consoles out on the market all felt the same. This is slowly becoming not the case. People wished for a generation where two successful consoles felt as different as the SNES and the Genesis, both in hardware and in library.

Is that not exactly the situation we find ourselves in now? Xbox is a very different platform, focusing almost exclusively on western games and having integration with PC. Sony is the vanilla standard every-machine. It's too early to see the whole trajectory of the Switch, but it seems pretty clear that it will lean far more on the Japanese developer side of things, not unlike the SNES library. And the hardware itself if unique as well.

I think the market is in a great place right now in terms of competition, lest we forget how boring last gen was by comparison. Also, people need to just admit that they have no interest in Xbox. MS's conference was fine, and the XBO-X looks great and is being sold at a good price.

Peh said:
vivster said:
No, we just all need a Switch and a PC.

Fixed.

The Switch is the one competition we don't need.

In fact we don't need to have a single console for competition at all. Hardware manufacturers and OEMs are already in competition and so are game publishers. We really don't need another competition of who can make the worst closed box.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.