By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does PS4 lie about it's storage space?

As a side note, you should always leave 10 % - 20 % of the disc empty if you also want to have optimal read/wrote speeds.

Around the Network
twintail said:
You need double the space I believe

This.

Seems pretty common to me that for some things they need double the space.

The real issue is the fact that console manufactures (not just Sony) think it's cool to force 20GB updates. That is so much horse shit that I can't even really articulate it very well.

Ka-pi96 said:

Simple enough question, why is my PS4 lying to me?

It's a problem I've had for awhile now, pretty much every time I want to download something it's like "not enough space" and I have to delete stuff despite being sure that whatever I'm downloading should be able to fit on the remaining space I have. But now I'm trying to download an update, just an update not even a full game, and my PS4 is still saying to delete unnecessary stuff as there isn't enough space. So go over to storage and see... Free Space: 41.58GB WTF Sony?

Edit: turns out it was a 21GB update, which is pretty sizable but should surely still fit on to the 41GB of free hard drive space... yet PS4 said no

because the drive needs space for both the downloaded update and the patching/verification process, which invariably means needing around twice the available space as the size of the update.

/thread

You need twice the space because you need to download the patchfile first and then it needs the same amount of space to install the files, before they can delete the downloaded patch again.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
SvennoJ said:
What had a 21 GB update??

Battleborn. I'm one of the few that owns it/downloads updates for it

Battleborn is on PS4? That's so weird. It's like putting Overwatch on PS4.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Battleborn is on PS4? That's so weird. It's like putting Overwatch on PS4.

umm.... isn't Overwatch on PS4 as well? Or did I just imagine that?

The world truly has gone crazy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.