By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Recommend Me A Good Configuration

Well guys, I decided to build/buy my own PC, so I need help with it.

First off, the main goal is to run third party games at 1080p@60fps or 4K/30fps. Yeah, I know that's a lot, but if I'm going to do this, it better be done well.

So, what specs would I need to achieve such a goal? Would a GTX 1060 6GB / i7 7700k / 16GB DDR4 2400mhz PC cut it, or would it need more power? If so, give me some advices. 

I thank you in advance and apologize for any mistakes (I'm still new in this world).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Budget Plox

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

We need a price to work with.

If you're aiming for 4K, go for a 1070 because future proving and shit. 1060 can run a lot of games in 4K, but it already struggles with some and it will only get worse in the future. So I'd say for that a 1070 is the minimum, better yet 1080. If you're like "fuck 4K" then the 1060 is good enough though.

CPU doesn't matter too much, get anything with i7 on it and it will run games of the next 10 years no problem. I would recommend Ryzen though. It's a really nice and relatively cheap platform. About dat RAM, doesn't matter either. Even 8 gigs are enough for gaming. As the prices for RAM are through the roof right now, I's recommend just getting a single 8 gigs DIMM and upgrading once the prices go down again.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I would invest in a GTX1070 for 4K but otherwise it seems like a very capable setup.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

There's a huge difference between playing at 1080p@60Hz and playing at 4K@30Hz. For the first thing, a GTX 1060 6GB or a RX 580 is enough, for the later a GTX 1080 is the minimum you should get.

Also, get faster RAM if you can, and don't forget an SSD, even if it's a small one just for the OS.

Your budget would also help to know what you can get.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

OdinHades said:
If you're aiming for 4K, go for a 1070 because future proving and shit. 1060 can run a lot of games in 4K, but it already struggles with some and it will only get worse in the future. So I'd say for that a 1070 is the minimum, better yet 1080. If you're like "fuck 4K" then the 1060 is good enough though.

CPU doesn't matter too much, get anything with i7 on it and it will run games of the next 10 years no problem. I would recommend Ryzen though. It's a really nice and relatively cheap platform. About dat RAM, doesn't matter either. Even 8 gigs are enough for gaming. As the prices for RAM are through the roof right now, I's recommend just getting a single 8 gigs DIMM and upgrading once the prices go down again.

RAM prices won't go down anytime soon. With more and more smartphones using DDR4 memory, the demand right now is simply too high.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
There's a huge difference between playing at 1080p@60Hz and playing at 4K@30Hz. For the first thing, a GTX 1060 6GB or a RX 580 is enough, for the later a GTX 1080 is the minimum you should get.

Also, get faster RAM if you can, and don't forget an SSD, even if it's a small one just for the OS.

Your budget would also help to know what you can get.

2400MHz is plenty.

Captain_Yuri said:
Budget Plox
caffeinade said:
We need a price to work with.

About $2000. I hope that's enough. xD if not, pls tell me how much more would be needed.

OdinHades said:

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was worried that would be the case for 1060. Btw, I know it's not simple, but do you think a 1070 would do its job for 3 years? 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

JEMC said:

RAM prices won't go down anytime soon. With more and more smartphones using DDR4 memory, the demand right now is simply too high.

I don't know about that. From what I'm hearing production will get a significant boost in the third quarter of 2017 which could bring the prices down again. We don't know for sure of course, but since 8 gigs are enough for the moment, I wouldn't spend more than needed. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.