By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: Xbox One VR won't be at E3; won't be out this year

Awww, man. 😢

Around the Network

Good news.

I just want to see Scorpio and games.

Glad to see this. As someone who couldn't care less about the VR, that's great news.

Good job Microsoft.

JRPGfan said:

Wireless?

*imagines a clunky giantic VR headset with a heavy battery on it*

Thats gonna be heavy to wear.. or have a short batterylife....

Microsoft is giveing Sony too long as the sole VR headset for consoles.

Another year, and by the time Xbox has VR it ll be more than 2million+ units behinde.

Hololens is far from behind "heavy" :)
But of course it does not have LCD screens etc...

I can see some options tho, for instance, having the batery an maybe the wireless transmietr) to a central thing you put on your belt would be a good start no? Having one wire going from the headset to that unit would still be way better than the current options (assuming they can achieve the same quality) 

Vasto said:

Good news.

I know, deep inside you, you wanted to play Minecraft VR on your future Scorpio... I can feel it... :)

Around the Network

Maybe it won´t be out at all. Seems like MS is not interested in being interested in things. Things in general do not interest them.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Imaginedvl said:
Vasto said:

Good news.

I know, deep inside you, you wanted to play Minecraft VR on your future Scorpio... I can feel it... :)

Next year.

guess thats why they took out the high fidelity VR from their website a while ago

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Wireless?

*imagines a clunky giantic VR headset with a heavy battery on it*

Thats gonna be heavy to wear.. or have a short batterylife....

Microsoft is giveing Sony too long as the sole VR headset for consoles.

Another year, and by the time Xbox has VR it ll be more than 2million+ units behinde.

Which highlights how slowly VR is selling. Microsoft isn't missing a boat because the ship has trouble to leave the harbor.

Except Sony has plenty studios gaining experience making VR games. By the time ps5 launches they'll have seasoned devs ready to put on AAA games for ps5 vr. (Ofcourse MS doesn't make games anyway...)

It sounds a bit like a cop out (waiting for wireless) or maybe MS is banking on room scale to be the big hit. (Which is what they want to do with mixed reality) I very much doubt that that's going to be big for games. Haven't they learned from Kinect room requirements, now stumble around with a headset on...
95% of my time in VR is spend sitting comfortably. Room scale is very restrictive for what you can do with it, not to mention dangerous as I found out with holoball. Plus teleporting for movement has already fallen out of grace. It was never an acceptable solution.

With wireless you still have a cable. At least with the wireless add-on for HTC-vive. You carry the battery on your body connected to the headset. Plus so far it only works at short range with a specific location for the transmitter. (it always needs clear line of sight to get a good picture) I guess you have the battery in the headset and carry something with the weight of the Switch plus headband on your head.

MS has the opportunity now to get the benefits of the OR store on XBox Scorpio with a $300 headset. I guess either those $300 headset aren't all that suitable for gaming or MS has figured out that with a 3rd party headset and 3rd party games, there's not enough skin in the game for them.

RolStoppable said:

It is probably a cop-out. Microsoft's Xbox guys don't seem to get much money anymore - hence why PlayStation gets virtually all the marketing deals for third party games - and going all-in with VR can't be enticing when all kinds of VR solutions have fallen short of analysts' expectations.

Yeah those crazy expectations hurt more than fire up the market.
It's not all that bad though https://uploadvr.com/idcs-data-shows-vr-not-dying-not-even-close/
It seems to be growing fine for an expensive and still 'hard to grasp for many' format.

VR isn't going anywhere, but I understand the hesitation to spend a lot of effort on expensive add-ons. It might be the replacement for gaming on tv for me, yet the majority still sees it as merely a peripheral. Perhaps that will change over time with more things like this for example https://uploadvr.com/oculus-equipping-california-libraries-rift-touch/ And with bigger games ofcourse. Chicken and egg problem, need more chickens to get more eggs, something like that.

MS sees more value in selling to businesses for now, their bread and butter. The Xbox guys had their fun, the bigwigs get first dibs this time.