By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can I has a Sony All Star Kart Racer pls? Unkarted? The Fast of Us?

spemanig said:
That would be a very weird kart racer.

Sony's IP don't really lend themselves to that kind of mash up.

It'd be as weird as Sonic All Stars Racing.

I think Sony's IPs lend them best for that kind of mash up. It'll be the bomb going from Yharnam, to Ancient Greece,  a papercraft themed track, and end with a WipEout track.

Around the Network

If Crash is truly yet a Sony exclusive, why not make another Crash Team Racing?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I'd love another Modnation racers

Turkish said:

With the driving mechanics of CTR? Can we petition Sony for it? CTR is like the best kart racer ever made and is regularly cited with DKR and MKDD as the top 3 ever. Because such discussions always revolves around characters, this time I want to focus on how awesome the tracks designs can be, with tons of diverse tracks with different themes:

-Bloodborne's Yharnam

-Ancient Greece/Norse place from God of War

-Horizon

-Realest track with Gran Turismo

-WipEout track

-Post Apocalyptic Last of Us track

-set pieces from Uncharted, with the thrill of the chase scenes

-Places from Jak&Daxter, Ratchet, Sly

-Tearaway's papercraft style

-Quirky tracks from Jumping Flash/Patapon/Locoroco/Toro/Parappa

-ICO/SotC, incorpoating puzzle elements, and yuuge colossi

-Gravity Rush

3rd parties like

-Midgar from FF7

-Shadow Moses from MGS

-Kingdom Hearts

-Persona 5 locales

-Silent Hill/Resident Evil

-Stuff from Sega/Capcom

-Oddworld

Dream game.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Im with Turkish on this one.

Give us a good Kart game, in the same vein as Mario Kart 8, but with all these fantastic locations (tracks) from other current popular PS4 games.

LOL "The fast of us"

Around the Network

I've wanted this since ModNation Racers, it would without a doubt be absolutely amazing. 16 iconic PlayStation characters and 16 tracks, 1 in each of the 16 characters' universe.

How can these tracks be fun? Most of the areas you mentioned come from games that are dead serious in tone and darkness, so how are you supposed to feel fun racing though there? Many of these areas are supposed to intimidate the player in their original games. Sorry but this is a straight contradiction. How can you laugh when driving past zombies, dead corpses, withering ruins and knife wielding Silent Hill nurses? You need to be a bit of a psychopath to enjoy this. And then the next question would be the items to use: what kind of items should that be?

VGPolyglot said:
spemanig said:

Maybe a Jak, Ratchet and Sly crossover?

That would work much better.

twintail said:
spemanig said:

Just do a reimagining of all the characters into a more cute, cartoony look. 

Its not that difficult if they get an art director to push a consistent design.

I don't think you want to go down that route. The issue isn't just that the art direction for many franchises are realistic, it's that they don't mesh well together. With something like Smash, the franchises do blend well together. No character looks weird or unfaithful to the original style in the Smash art style. Cartoon Drake would look weird and would look unfaithful. Cartoon Bloodborne, too.

I think people take for granted how much of the design work was done in the original series before they made it over to smash. Bayonetta is a perfect example. She is already heavily stylized in her games, so not a lot of work needed to be done to make her fit in Smash.

Turkish said:
spemanig said:

I think Sony's IPs lend them best for that kind of mash up. It'll be the bomb going from Yharnam, to Ancient Greece,  a papercraft themed track, and end with a WipEout track.

It would be much weirder than that. Sonic is mostly sonic/sega characters, which blend better aesthetically. This is not the case with Sony.

GoOnKid said:

How can these tracks be fun? Most of the areas you mentioned come from games that are dead serious in tone and darkness, so how are you supposed to feel fun racing though there? Many of these areas are supposed to intimidate the player in their original games. Sorry but this is a straight contradiction. How can you laugh when driving past zombies, dead corpses, withering ruins and knife wielding Silent Hill nurses? You need to be a bit of a psychopath to enjoy this. And then the next question would be the items to use: what kind of items should that be?

If you're a good game designer, anything can be fun. Fun isn't just Muhsroom Kingdom. If Shadow Moses can be a Smash stage, it can be a kart racer track. And no, most of the areas I mentioned isn't serious in tone, "tracks inspired by" is the key, rather than full on hardcore representation.

House of the Dead stage in Sonic All Stars Racing

Are you scared shitless? To the point you won't have any fun?

I think the disturbing thing here is your definition of fun.

spemanig said:
VGPolyglot said:

Maybe a Jak, Ratchet and Sly crossover?

That would work much better.

twintail said:

Just do a reimagining of all the characters into a more cute, cartoony look. 

Its not that difficult if they get an art director to push a consistent design.

I don't think you want to go down that route. The issue isn't just that the art direction for many franchises are realistic, it's that they don't mesh well together. With something like Smash, the franchises do blend well together. No character looks weird or unfaithful to the original style in the Smash art style. Cartoon Drake would look weird and would look unfaithful. Cartoon Bloodborne, too.

I think people take for granted how much of the design work was done in the original series before they made it over to smash. Bayonetta is a perfect example. She is already heavily stylized in her games, so not a lot of work needed to be done to make her fit in Smash.

Turkish said:

It would be much weirder than that. Sonic is mostly sonic/sega characters, which blend better aesthetically. This is not the case with Sony.

The original properties really dont. Panzer Dragoon has 0 in common with Shinobi which has 0 in common with Jet Set Radio which has 0 in common with House of the Dead which has 0 in common with Golden Axe or Outrun. It would be just as weird asking for a racer with those properties but Sega made it work, and if Sega can make it work, Sony can too.

think-man said:
I'd love another Modnation racers

Actually, you just reminded me that there was a LittleBigPlanet racing game.