By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Apple iMac Pro Announced Starting At Just $4999

Barkley said:

But that's not the $4999 model.

for $4999 you only get:

8 Core Xeon CPU
32gb ECC Memory
1TB SSD

And people are actually going to buy this... lol.

And a best in class 5K display, A Radeon Vega GPU with 8GB VRAM standard, a keyboard and mouse.

Why do people keep forgetting the display, it's a 2000$ unit by itself!

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
SuperNova said:

Or small professional studios.

My uncle owns a production company that does work for a few juggernaut custumers and while their main office only has six seats including my aunt who works as an accountant/secretary they get the real nice things in order to ensure that their employees turn over the best possible results and arent hampered by lenghthy rendering times etc. They do a lot of 4k editing, so the Imac pro being able to drive 2 5k screens in addition to it's own is something they dearly need. They've been stuck on old Mac pros for a while now since the 2013 macpro was basically a dead end.

Yeah, I'm guessing the Mac Pro line is pretty much dead. Apple gets more out of integrated systems anyway. Luckily, with eGPU support over thunderbolt, this machine could probably drive a lot more displays and tasks if necessary.

I hope not. Apple promised to bring an all new fully modular Mac Pro, probably sometime late next year. The Imac pro is meant to bridge that imo, but if it sees good sales it might as well mean the death of the mac pro.

Sort of like when apple gave consumers the choice between ultra thin low end glued toghether hardware and actual pro models in their laptop lineup around 2011/2012 and consumers overwhelmingly flocked towards the macbook air. We still see the results of that today, with a non-upgradable severly hampered macbook pro lineup. At least the creative proffessionals seem to have made themselves heard to an extent and we got egpu support and the iMac pro.

Although additional usb-c/thunderbolt3 should have been included on the 13'' macbooc pro without touchbar imo. They have to make up for all those missing ports.

I'm still on my late 2011 macbook and need a refresh soon, but even with kabylake I just can't justify the pricetag, right now. Maybe later this year/early next year with coffee lake. We could see quad core 13'' macbook pros and another pricedrop.

Just 4999 dollars its a bargain in apples mind

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

SuperNova said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Yeah, I'm guessing the Mac Pro line is pretty much dead. Apple gets more out of integrated systems anyway. Luckily, with eGPU support over thunderbolt, this machine could probably drive a lot more displays and tasks if necessary.

I hope not. Apple promised to bring an all new fully modular Mac Pro, probably sometime late next year. The Imac pro is meant to bridge that imo, but if it sees good sales it might as well mean the death of the mac pro.

Sort of like when apple gave consumers the choice between ultra thin low end glued toghether hardware and actual pro models in their laptop lineup around 2011/2012 and consumers overwhelmingly flocked towards the macbook air. We still see the results of that today, with a non-upgradable severly hampered macbook pro lineup. At least the creative proffessionals seem to have made themselves heard to an extent and we got egpu support and the iMac pro.

Although additional usb-c/thunderbolt3 should have been included on the 13'' macbooc pro without touchbar imo. They have to make up for all those missing ports.

I'm still on my late 2011 macbook and need a refresh soon, but even with kabylake I just can't justify the pricetag, right now. Maybe later this year/early next year with coffee lake. We could see quad core 13'' macbook pros and another pricedrop.

I always said that I'd replace my 2012 Macbook Pro around Cannonlake, thanks for delaying Cannonlake by years Intel ^^

WolfpackN64 said:
SuperNova said:

I always said that I'd replace my 2012 Macbook Pro around Cannonlake, thanks for delaying Cannonlake by years Intel ^^

At this point it feels like 10nm is never going to arrive...

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
WolfpackN64 said:

At this point it feels like 10nm is never going to arrive...

Meanwhile Zen 2 is posed to arrive on 7nm in a year or two.

LOL at anyone willing to buy this over just building your own computer for far, far cheaper, and way better parts.

I could have an all new rig with TWO Titan Xp's for 5000 dollars......

shikamaru317 said:
Apple buyers are the biggest suckers on this planet. Everything they make is ridiculously overpriced.

Because their profit margin is around 70%.

It seems every generation the prices are comparatively more expensive than the last.

Dulfite said:
LOL at anyone willing to buy this over just building your own computer for far, far cheaper, and way better parts.

Ok, build me an Intel 8 core PC, with an 11TFLOPS GPU (so Radeon Vega or NVIDIA TITAN XP), 32GB's of ECC DDR4 RAM, 1TB of PCIe SSD storage, A PSU to power it all (Gold rated, probably around 800 Watts), a top of the line 5K professional display, a mouse, a keyboard and a fully alluminum chassis.

Report back with your much cheaper PC, I'm curious.